Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

yep see what you mean. It is a site for religion and those who deny there is even a diety, that there is even a God come into to debate, to disprove--there isnt any other reason why.

a klansman doesnt come into black website to learn anything positive or present anything positive to or about blacks, they just come to harrass.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM

954 posts, read 813,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
they dont go on ranting about other religions, which doesnt make since because they are A theists, you would think they would go attacking Buddhists, Hindus(with lots of gods), muslims of course, jews, and all the other religions, but they are not. They attack christians because they fear the ONE True God and satan fears HIM and therefore tries to discredit the ONe TRUE God.

You will not seem them attacking Muslims, atheist fear death
There don't appear to be any other believers on this forum other than Christians.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I'm here in the hope that someone may read one of my posts and think 'I wonder if I've been wrong all these years'. I'm hoping to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of a Christian in the hope that he will take a good look at what he believes and, after studying the evidence on the other side, will turn away from religion.
At least MontanaGuy said it a bit more subtly
And I guess the Christians are just supposed to keep their mouths shut about this? Hmmmmm
I'm trying VERY hard to keep my thoughts to myself right now, but am finding it very difficult.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
fromcenFL wrote:
Quote:
If there is no God, then how can there be absolutes? Without absolutes, any ideal of morality is purely subjective to man.
That's very true and with the exception of certain mathematical laws or laws of physics there really are no absolutes. Clearly the morality of mankind has been undergoing some major changes since recorded history and I happen to think they're for the better. For example it was common in the Middle Ages for torture and inhumane treatment of human beings to be carried out on a regular basis in the capitols of Europe like London, Paris, etc. Of course there's still war and atrocities but it's not widely accepted or as common as it once was and governments and people in general deplore it. Our morality really is subjective in many ways because it requires judgements to be made by many individuals on the basis of their upbringing. I actually have hope for mankind and feel somewhat optimistic that our positive attributes may yet overcome our desires to do cruel and selfish acts. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I'm here in the hope that I can change the mind of someone who thinks the term "faith" means the total eradication of scepticism. I'm here in the hope that someone may read one of my posts and think 'I wonder if I've been wrong all these years'. I'm hoping to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of a Christian in the hope that he will take a good look at what he believes and, after studying the evidence on the other side, will turn away from religion.

Why? Because I believe that religion shackles the human mind. It closes it down and and turns people into something akin to a robot who blindy follows religious dogma and ignores the evidence that plainly shows them that their beliefs are flawed. To me, that's dangerous. Once people lose their scepticism, and the ability to doubt themselves, they can become essentially very dangerous robots, who will unquestionably do whatever they believe that their god/religion/religious leaders tell them. They have sacrificed their own mind and will, and as a result have become the puppets of whomever/whatever they have given their mind and will over to. And this does indeed make them very dangerous.

I believe the religious individual has been duped into this make believe world of superstition. If religion has its way we will be living under a theocratic government. Could you imagine just what that would be like? It would be the return of the dark ages of Christianity all over again, much like it was in Europe for centuries as recorded in history.

I think I've said this before. Frankly, faith offends me. Holding a belief with a conviction or certainty not justified by the evidence is irrational. You cannot have god-belief without first having faith, without first jumping to conclusions and ignoring evidence, without taking mental shortcuts and abandoning reason. The one quality that really sets humans apart from animals is our ability to reason, and it offends me greatly to see that ability abused.

So I come here in the hope that there may be someone out there who is pursuaded by my argument. I've only had two successes in the past 40 years but hey! Two is better than none.
So, you feel it's your moral responsibility to "plant the seed" and enlighten people? Most Christ followers have doubted their faith more than once in their lives. Many Christ followers are quite educated and have researched their faith. You're wasting your time.

And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are no better than religious zealots who try to push religion down people's throats. You're just working the other end of it.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
yep see what you mean. It is a site for religion and those who deny there is even a diety, that there is even a God come into to debate, to disprove--there isnt any other reason why.

a klansman doesnt come into black website to learn anything positive or present anything positive to or about blacks, they just come to harrass.
If it bothers you there are many 'Christian only' forums available. Strangly, I haven't yet found an 'atheist only' forum. On atheist forums where I'm a member, Christians are welcome.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM

[quote=kawgpz550;686001]
Quote:
At least MontanaGuy said it a bit more subtly And I guess the Christians are just supposed to keep their mouths shut about this? Hmmmmm
Not at all!

Quote:
I'm trying VERY hard to keep my thoughts to myself right now, but am finding it very difficult.
Don't keep your thoughts to yourself. Say what you feel.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
its more than just on the forum, out in the real world, they are still afraid to challenge other religions. Partly, i have seen in the US is because many of the atheist are white and liberals and they have a white liberal guilt about confronting people of color who make up buddhism, hinduism, and Islam. they have a liberal racism that is afriad of the brown face, expect when they need them as a social welfare project.
But since Christianity is associated with White European thought, they feel more comfortable with attacking them. Heck, even in the US, Atheist groups do not challenge the politicking of white candidates in black and hispanic churches, but always bring lawsuits against white churches and institutions.

MLK used the church in a political crusade for civil rights, not even today do you hear a peep from Athiests or ACLU and other groups about that. But try groups like the boy scouts, then its an easy target of criticism and attack.

there are plenty of muslim groups that atheists can attack and plenty of buddhist and hinduisms like Yoga and its proliferation in society to attack.

but the bigger point is, if you are so cocksure of your belief and it isnt a belief of prosyletizing(esp since you hate that of christians) then why do you come into a clearly religious room to do it? Let those who are free thinkers like you come to it on their own without persuasion. Our faith is one of spreading the word of the gospel, it is apart of our Theistic belief, so we are not adopting your ways, why are you adopting ours?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
its more than just on the forum, out in the real world, they are still afraid to challenge other religions. Partly, i have seen in the US is because many of the atheist are white and liberals and they have a white liberal guilt about confronting people of color who make up buddhism, hinduism, and Islam. they have a liberal racism that is afriad of the brown face, expect when they need them as a social welfare project.
But since Christianity is associated with White European thought, they feel more comfortable with attacking them. Heck, even in the US, Atheist groups do not challenge the politicking of white candidates in black and hispanic churches, but always bring lawsuits against white churches and institutions.

MLK used the church in a political crusade for civil rights, not even today do you hear a peep from Athiests or ACLU and other groups about that. But try groups like the boy scouts, then its an easy target of criticism and attack.

there are plenty of muslim groups that atheists can attack and plenty of buddhist and hinduisms like Yoga and its proliferation in society to attack.

but the bigger point is, if you are so cocksure of your belief and it isnt a belief of prosyletizing(esp since you hate that of christians) then why do you come into a clearly religious room to do it? Let those who are free thinkers like you come to it on their own without persuasion. Our faith is one of spreading the word of the gospel, it is apart of our Theistic belief, so we are not adopting your ways, why are you adopting ours?
I was under the impression that this was a forum for religious debate and not just a forum where theists can preach to the choir!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
[quote=pladecalvo;686041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Not at all!

Don't keep your thoughts to yourself. Say what you feel.
No, I won't say exactly what I feel. Why? Because I might have to let my "human" side come out and that would just give you more ammo
Some "apparent" Christian somewhere along the line, must have really done something to you to make you hate Christianity so much. I know there are extremes on every level of every religion, Christianity included. But how many Christians on here have you seen that show anything more than TRUE LOVE for everyone on the board?
I can understand if YOU choose not to believe, but I feel for you in your trek to "plant a seed" and give "doubt" to Christians. Although, as I said previously, this won't work on true Christians. It will only work on those that are in a time of vulnerabilty and only on the ones that would be questioning their salvation at that moment. I will continue to pray for the 2 that you did manage to transform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality