Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times

Advertisements

Mark 10
Divorce
1 Jesus then left that place and went into the region of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds of people came to him, and as was his custom, he taught them.
2 Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"

3 "What did Moses command you?" he replied.

4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."

5 "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. 6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'[a] 7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.'[c] So they are no longer two, but one. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Hmmm, interesting! Got thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Mark 10
Divorce
1 Jesus then left that place and went into the region of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds of people came to him, and as was his custom, he taught them.
2 Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"

3 "What did Moses command you?" he replied.

4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."

5 "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. 6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'[a] 7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.'[c] So they are no longer two, but one. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

I know it is unrecognized in the Catholic religion and also that if you remarry you are ejected from the church and any child you would have would be a bastard child (sorry for the naughty word)
But most not only follow God's laws but also the laws of the land

That is why in Mormon religion polygamy is accepted but the law of the land (USA) says otherwise so it isn't practiced here

Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
I think this has already been discussed in another thread but that is what the Bible says.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Yes, I believe it! I am also previously married and remarried. I believe in God's grace so strongly that I believe He can/will forgive anything we manage to do in our lives that is against what He wants for us.

Which brings about another point...maybe if I (and others) would seek God's will for that lifetime mate, we would make fewer mistakes and the divorce rate would be much less.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I know it is unrecognized in the Catholic religion and also that if you remarry you are ejected from the church and any child you would have would be a bastard child (sorry for the naughty word)
Well, unless your name is Kennedy or Grimaldi or various other people of power and influence (and money) then the Catholic church conveniently annuls the marriage for you.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Mark 10

11 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

This is what Jesus taught, no questions asked. But remember, none of us are perfect, and He shed His blood to atone for our imperfections.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well, unless your name is Kennedy or Grimaldi or various other people of power and influence (and money) then the Catholic church conveniently annuls the marriage for you.
Regular people can get annulments as well. It just takes a while. Until then you aren't thrown out of the church any longer for divorce, just can't remarry in the church until the annulment is approved.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Regular people can get annulments as well. It just takes a while. Until then you aren't thrown out of the church any longer for divorce, just can't remarry in the church until the annulment is approved.
Right but I remember one of the Kennedy boys divorced his wife of some 10 years or so with two or three children so he could marry his new girlfriend. The wife was interviewed and she was so upset, and said something to the effect that she didn't care for herself but for him to do that to his children, to have the Catholic Church annul the marriage what did that say to her children.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
I think an important part of this particular statement by Christ was left out so I have included it here:

Matt: 19:9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery."

I don't believe that He intended this to mean that anyone can look upon any untoward act as being an automatic adulterous act but that it does provide a beleaguered spouse a way to escape a situation that may have been going on for a long time and the adulterer refuses to come to terms with it and get his/her life in order.

It is easy for us to point fingers without knowing the entire story but Jesus knows and thankfully He is just but also merciful.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
I am outside of the belief. Not being a Christian, it doesn't pertain to me.

As a follower of the Wiccan religion, I find it astonishing that most people will automatically assume you are a Christian and follow Christian customs. For that matter, you should know that if you are of British, Scottish or Irish ancestry, your religion is Wicca and not Christianity. The Romans invaded and brought Christianity to those islands and forced it upon the people (like everywhere else they went).

Wicca allows marriage and divorce. If it doesn't work, why keep trying it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality