Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

Here in Northern VA the old fashioned Lutheran and Baptist Churches pews are collecting dust. It seems like no one is attending anymore. I went to a Lutheran service and there was maybe a dozen people in a Church that fit hundreds. It was sad.

The fast growing churches are those non denominal Mega Churches. They are fun and people arrive well before the services and stay for an hour later visiting friends in the lobby drinking Espresso's. There are tons of social programs for after hours. The Minister is dressed casually and people are relaxed. The services are informal with alot of singing and dancing. The Church was jammed with people.

I went to one of these Churches for the first time last month and I still do not know what to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Here in Northern VA the old fashioned Lutheran and Baptist Churches pews are collecting dust. It seems like no one is attending anymore. I went to a Lutheran service and there was maybe a dozen people in a Church that fit hundreds. It was sad.

The fast growing churches are those non denominal Mega Churches. They are fun and people arrive well before the services and stay for an hour later visiting friends in the lobby drinking Espresso's. There are tons of social programs for after hours. The Minister is dressed casually and people are relaxed. The services are informal with alot of singing and dancing. The Church was jammed with people.

I went to one of these Churches for the first time last month and I still do not know what to say about it.
Did you feel comfortable there?? were your religious needs being fulfilled??

If the answers were yes then why not go? It isn't about the size of the church it is the size of the hearts of the people who attend

Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Mega-churches-all I've ever known!

Well, I don't know what to say about it. They have been around for awhile. My husband and I have attended this sort of church most of our adult life (and that's been awhile! ) We do have the sort of things you mentioned-complete with coffee bar upstairs etc. I guess it's pretty "enjoyable" if you want to put it that way. The worship is very excellent (my husband is a musician and his "ear" couldn't stand it if it wasn't!) But I will tell you that our pastor absolutely abhors the idea of churches "marketing" themselves in an effort to get numbers in the door.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
I think that if the theology is accurate, the ministry is strong, and the environment is comfortable for you then they are a good thing. I can say that one advantage the so called mega-church has over smaller more traditional churches is the ability to bring Christ to a greater number of people. That is a double edge sword though. If the theology of the church is flawed, then more harm is done than good. However, if the theology is accurate and Biblical then even if the church or the delivery is immature there is more benefit than a dying church that does not present bibilical principles in a way that relates to modern times.

For instance, I attended a church a few weeks ago which had an average attendance of 6700. The sermon was accurate in a theological standpoint but very basic and not very deep. The message however reached a large number of people, and the church takes a lot of initiative to work in the community locally and globally to bring new people to Christ and help believers become stronger in their faith. By contrast, the church I used to go to is a denominational church in Phoenix with a capacity for maybe 200 and regular attendance of the same 50 people who have done nothing what-so-ever to grow, bring new people to Christ, or help the community in the past 20 years. The theology at the first church can sometimes be immature, and basic, while the theology at the later church is usually very profound and deep but very repetetive and mundane. Who is doing the better job at helping bring new people to Christ, learning ang growing in the Spirit? For the people who go to each church they are getting what they need spiritually. Is Christianity though about getting what you need spiritually, or about helping others find Christ? Both churches are good, I just think one handles certain aspects (which are very important to me) a little better.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
I think one thing to keep in mind is that the non-denominationals really reach out to the unchurched and unbelievers. The ones in my community are not so interested in drawing people from other churches as they are in bringing in people who might never step foot in a more Orthodox setting.

In that sense, I think the mega churches are doing wonderful things. I attend a church which baptizes over a hundred people at a time and sees dozens of people come to Christ on a weekly basis. Can't knock that!

I personally grew up in a very Orthodox tradition and it took a while to get used to a contemporary service. Now, I have an open mind about church. If the music and casual atmosphere bring people in, I think it's a blessing.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I think that if the theology is accurate, the ministry is strong, and the environment is comfortable for you then they are a good thing. I can say that one advantage the so called mega-church has over smaller more traditional churches is the ability to bring Christ to a greater number of people. That is a double edge sword though. If the theology of the church is flawed, then more harm is done than good. However, if the theology is accurate and Biblical then even if the church or the delivery is immature there is more benefit than a dying church that does not present bibilical principles in a way that relates to modern times.

For instance, I attended a church a few weeks ago which had an average attendance of 6700. The sermon was accurate in a theological standpoint but very basic and not very deep. The message however reached a large number of people, and the church takes a lot of initiative to work in the community locally and globally to bring new people to Christ and help believers become stronger in their faith. By contrast, the church I used to go to is a denominational church in Phoenix with a capacity for maybe 200 and regular attendance of the same 50 people who have done nothing what-so-ever to grow, bring new people to Christ, or help the community in the past 20 years. The theology at the first church can sometimes be immature, and basic, while the theology at the later church is usually very profound and deep but very repetetive and mundane. Who is doing the better job at helping bring new people to Christ, learning ang growing in the Spirit? For the people who go to each church they are getting what they need spiritually. Is Christianity though about getting what you need spiritually, or about helping others find Christ? Both churches are good, I just think one handles certain aspects (which are very important to me) a little better.
I think you made some good points here.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think you made some good points here.
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes my posts are a little long and I wonder if they are actually read.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Mega Churches are mega business where the ministers live in mega houses driving mega cars for their mega egos and many folks go because it is mega easy.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM

Default small groups within mega-churches

One thing I would add to my above post about having been part of mega-churches most of our life is that all the ones we've ever attended have also had a ministry of small groups that meet in member's homes for food, fellowship etc. So you do get to know people on a more intimate basis that way. When the church is large, you really need that in order to connect with people in your church, develop real friendships and get the personal attention and ministry you might need in the event of some life crisis.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
I don't judge a church on it's size. I judge them as to whether they preach the Word of God, and their members try and live by His Word. A mega church can be a great place to worship for some, and a smaller church can for others.
I guess the problem people see with mega-churches as they can be seen as big business, and they can get caught up in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality