Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm glad you're feeling better. But be careful about "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." Just because you feel that science failed in your particular case does not mean that it always fails and that is useless. Remember: you use science everyday, with your car and cell phone and your computer, etc. Sure, the mind can do amazing things, and sometimes take the place of medication. But not always! SOme people have legitimate chemical imbalances in their brains and therefore need medications. Anti-depressants have improved alot of lives.
Remember also that psychology is what we call a 'soft science' and is still in its infancy. We have barely scratched the surface of the mysteries of the human mind. But you should refrain from lambasting the entire scientific field simply because you think you got better without medications. My lord, look how far we've come from the days when they used to drill holes in people's skulls to "let the demons out."
Be grateful, not arrogant.
Also, if you want to cite references to clinical depression, you should use the DSM-IV (the bible of psychiatry) instead of a website written by the general public!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
If you have not already done so, get your thyroid checked out. Underactive or overactive can lead to depression. I was overactive as a teen and once I had the op to reduce it to a third of the size, my moods et al improved drastically. My sister developed an underactive one at 45ish and she was depressed and diagnosed as bipolar. She is on daily meds and is now leading a normal life after essentially having a complete nervous breakdown.

FWIW it is only a blood test and the treatment by oral method is very cheap and effective. Prior to my diagnosis as a teen, they had me with all types of psychiatrists and psychologists to try and figure out what went wrong with me. In my case it all started with puberty which, until up to that point, I was a normal kid just like any other.

The thyroid affects your hormone balance amongst other things and is still something that MD's hardly check for. In our family it is hereditary, and my brother is also affected, underactive. My son is overactive and has a double whammy that he started losing his skin pigmentation at 16, another side effect.

Oh and BTW we had my son prayed for and hands laid on, bound teh deemuns of hereditary disease et al. when I was still a woo woo and f-all happened, oh he fell over backwards as he had learned that is what happens when they lay hands on you and pray for you.

It took one blood test to figure out what was wrong with him and scientifically proven medical treatment to stabilize his moods and depression, he will probably need the op too but when he was diagnosed, he was too young for the op.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
There is a reason why people are so excited about decoding the human genome in minutes. Because knowing your exact DNA structure, a medicine design just for you could be prescribed, that will work perfectly. Right now we are stuck on trial and error, and what works for the majority.

We know the drug will fail some people.
All who think it is a good idea to break down people's DNA and work society around what is in or not in their DNA, RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND:

Genetic Discrimination: Unfair or Natural? - TIME

Yet another example of science ruining the world. Other then the whole killing people thing, the more and more I think of it, Ted Kaczynski made allot of sense.

Quote:
The OP, only change is state of mind using faith. I use a bunch of scenarios that are pure fiction, but still work at changing my state of mind.
"Faith" is not a "scenario", but is an act of being.

Quote:
But to actually try and promote irrational thinking, is no better then people who burn books.
While I am proud to say that I promote irrational thinking, I am not a book burner. No, I just say, "you keep that book (on some science crap or how great it would be if everyone worked in a cubicle), thank you very much, and I'll read this one:

There is a difference between having the audacity to not be intrested in the sciences and having a different way of looking at the world and, instead, wanting to deny a world view to others.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
All who think it is a good idea to break down people's DNA and work society around what is in or not in their DNA, RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND:

Genetic Discrimination: Unfair or Natural? - TIME

Yet another example of science ruining the world. Other then the whole killing people thing, the more and more I think of it, Ted Kaczynski made allot of sense.

"Faith" is not a "scenario", but is an act of being.

While I am proud to say that I promote irrational thinking, I am not a book burner. No, I just say, "you keep that book (on some science crap or how great it would be if everyone worked in a cubicle), thank you very much, and I'll read this one:

There is a difference between having the audacity to not be intrested in the sciences and having a different way of looking at the world and, instead, wanting to deny a world view to others.
You are a delusional fool if you think this.
Quote:
There is a reason why people are so excited about decoding the human genome in minutes. Because knowing your exact DNA structure, a medicine design just for you could be prescribed, that will work perfectly.
Means social Darwinism.

Blind faith, is dogmatic. Different ways of looking at the world do not change reality. You fail.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
You are a delusional fool if you think this.

Means social Darwinism.

Blind faith, is dogmatic. Different ways of looking at the world do not change reality. You fail.
Science, as observed from history, is not about doing what is "right or wrong" but about doing what ever it can do. No moral questions were asked about wether or not they should built the atomic bomb, no ethics stopped the internal combustion engine from being mass produced and thus creating global warming, no one ever thought about wether Weaponizing Anthrax was the right thing to do or if the technology to tap phones and spy on people in their homes was worth developing.

History has proven that science is without restraint and is a force for absolute destruction and it's fast march towards the doom of society, euphemistically referred to as "progress" should be halted...or, at least people like me, who are not huge fans of "progress" should have the option of living away from it's clutches. Alas, the entire world is claimed and there is nowhere we can go that we are not followed by the Vast Machine...unless, of course, my reality is so different from the machines Majority Reality that I can escape it.

Indeed, a life in the woods, barefoot, with no running water, electricity, phone, or other such fang of the vast machine is just what I need!...

...but I suppose you would have put Christopher McCandless on drugs against his will? After all, science knows best and a desire to live alone in the woods, away from a cubicle, a laptop, a TV dinner and a situation comedy is completely irrational?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Indeed, a life in the woods, barefoot, with no running water, electricity, phone, or other such fang of the vast machine is just what I need!...
You're off to a slow start if you continue to use the internet.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
See how you just jump off your absurd claims, and pretend they never happen?

Blaming science, is like blaming the gun, instead of the person who pulled the trigger.

Bye bye, your irrational beliefs will be less likely to harm us if you stay away from us.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Threads like this disturb me by virtue of how irressponsible they are. What if a truly suicidal, bi- polar, or depressed person finds this thread and stops taking their meds? The idea that science and medicine doesn't work, and these disorders can be cured only thru religion is ignorant at best and dangerous at worst. Don't get me wrong, if it worked for you, I am truly glad, however to discount conventional treatments and then start a thread broadcasting how wrong science is could lead to disaster for the unfortunate soul who is suffering from X disease and now thinks religion is a panacea and that's all they need. I really hope someone does not use this thread or one like it and stop taking their meds.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Default I just realized what your "status" says.

Wow. You're bragging about that?!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Threads like this disturb me by virtue of how irressponsible they are. What if a truly suicidal, bi- polar, or depressed person finds this thread and stops taking their meds? The idea that science and medicine doesn't work, and these disorders can be cured only thru religion is ignorant at best and dangerous at worst. Don't get me wrong, if it worked for you, I am truly glad, however to discount conventional treatments and then start a thread broadcasting how wrong science is could lead to disaster for the unfortunate soul who is suffering from X disease and now thinks religion is a panacea and that's all they need. I really hope someone does not use this thread or one like it and stop taking their meds.

Keep taking your meds. Your personality, with it's independent thinking, was not efficent. We will use these medications to program you properly.

YouTube - THX 1138

You would have put Christopher McCandless on drugs too, I suppose? Get rid of that irrational desire for something other then materialism and an existince behind a cubicle....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality