U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
 
4,898 posts, read 5,288,229 times
Reputation: 2550

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I'll say it VPunk...."Okay I think it is dumb, but it is your preference!"
Faire enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 2,472,265 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
How hard is the simple fact that I prefer being "irrational" "delusional" etc for you to believe? Different strokes for different folks.
You are going to have to accept that if you express you belief to me, then I'm going to pick at it, and see if it falls over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
 
4,898 posts, read 5,288,229 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You are going to have to accept that if you express you belief to me, then I'm going to pick at it, and see if it falls over.

Fine. But understand that when you talk philosophy, the rules are different then just plain facts. Different Philosophies are held by different people and hence, they are more opinions then they are facts.

The material argument of "does god exist" is one thing...but the philosophical argument of "does existince even matter to an individual" is one that you can't have with the same tactics as the old creationist "evidence" vs evolution evidence.

Hearing someone say "well, I for one find intuition to be a better way of looking certain things then reason" is a philosophical statement that one might indeed hear on a "religion and PHILOSOPHY board".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 2,472,265 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Fine. But understand that when you talk philosophy, the rules are different then just plain facts. Different Philosophies are held by different people and hence, they are more opinions then they are facts.

The material argument of "does god exist" is one thing...but the philosophical argument of "does existince even matter to an individual" is one that you can't have with the same tactics as the old creationist "evidence" vs evolution evidence.

Hearing someone say "well, I for one find intuition to be a better way of looking certain things then reason" is a philosophical statement that one might indeed hear on a "religion and PHILOSOPHY board".
I really don't care. I'm still going to see if you claim is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Pensacola
38 posts, read 25,744 times
Reputation: 13
Obviously you do care if you keep picking away at her explanations or you wouldn't respond to her.

Victorianpunk- Good on ya! Utilize whatever tools are available to you in order for you to make the happiest and best life for yourself and yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,356 posts, read 3,479,166 times
Reputation: 1698
I think this is why a lot of bag ladies mumble to themselves and have delusions of being a princess. It just feels better for some people to pretend. I don't really have a problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

But why stop at pretending there is a God? wouldn't it be even better to pretend you ARE God?

*Looks around for Lionpainter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 AM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 14,036,003 times
Reputation: 6468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think this is why a lot of bag ladies mumble to themselves and have delusions of being a princess. It just feels better for some people to pretend. I don't really have a problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

But why stop at pretending there is a God? wouldn't it be even better to pretend you ARE God?
From a human perspective that could be a pretty terrible burden. A princess is often a figurehead who gets to enjoy pony rides and vacations without any actual burdens of power. (Well okay there are plenty of burdens to being royalty, but I'd still wager it's less than Obama or Harper face) However God or "a god" may have massive responsibilities. I'm hesitant to use this example, but comic books sometimes deal with the burden of being godlike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
1,091 posts, read 1,428,165 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I cannot show you my "gut feeling" because it is in my head, and I don't think you have the ability to read minds...

I am saying is I prefer inuition and emotion over logic and reason. Why is it so hard for you to just shrug and say "okay, I think it's dumb, but it's your preference."?
Why do you believe intuition is separate from logic? What do you think makes your mind develop a gut instinct to a certain stimulus if not it's ability to reason out a scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
1,091 posts, read 1,428,165 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think this is why a lot of bag ladies mumble to themselves and have delusions of being a princess. It just feels better for some people to pretend. I don't really have a problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

But why stop at pretending there is a God? wouldn't it be even better to pretend you ARE God?

*Looks around for Lionpainter
I could be making a mistake, but I believe victorianpunk has made similar claims in the past in a "GOD is an emotion within me therefore I am GOD" kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 14,036,003 times
Reputation: 6468
I think with a Gnostic it's different. They're more saying "God is within" or "We're all God." It's a bit more like a pantheist maybe. A pantheist could say "Therefore I am God" but they're not saying they have any unique or special quality as they believe you're God, I'm also God, that tree over there is God, etc. God is everything or everything is part of God or what have you. (Although I think Gnostics focus more on people being part-God, not sure they necessarily believe trees and rocks are also part-God)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top