Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I'll say it VPunk...."Okay I think it is dumb, but it is your preference!"
Faire enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
How hard is the simple fact that I prefer being "irrational" "delusional" etc for you to believe? Different strokes for different folks.
You are going to have to accept that if you express you belief to me, then I'm going to pick at it, and see if it falls over.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You are going to have to accept that if you express you belief to me, then I'm going to pick at it, and see if it falls over.

Fine. But understand that when you talk philosophy, the rules are different then just plain facts. Different Philosophies are held by different people and hence, they are more opinions then they are facts.

The material argument of "does god exist" is one thing...but the philosophical argument of "does existince even matter to an individual" is one that you can't have with the same tactics as the old creationist "evidence" vs evolution evidence.

Hearing someone say "well, I for one find intuition to be a better way of looking certain things then reason" is a philosophical statement that one might indeed hear on a "religion and PHILOSOPHY board".

Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Fine. But understand that when you talk philosophy, the rules are different then just plain facts. Different Philosophies are held by different people and hence, they are more opinions then they are facts.

The material argument of "does god exist" is one thing...but the philosophical argument of "does existince even matter to an individual" is one that you can't have with the same tactics as the old creationist "evidence" vs evolution evidence.

Hearing someone say "well, I for one find intuition to be a better way of looking certain things then reason" is a philosophical statement that one might indeed hear on a "religion and PHILOSOPHY board".
I really don't care. I'm still going to see if you claim is true.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 AM

35 posts, read 44,464 times
Obviously you do care if you keep picking away at her explanations or you wouldn't respond to her.

Victorianpunk- Good on ya! Utilize whatever tools are available to you in order for you to make the happiest and best life for yourself and yours.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I think this is why a lot of bag ladies mumble to themselves and have delusions of being a princess. It just feels better for some people to pretend. I don't really have a problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

But why stop at pretending there is a God? wouldn't it be even better to pretend you ARE God?

*Looks around for Lionpainter

Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think this is why a lot of bag ladies mumble to themselves and have delusions of being a princess. It just feels better for some people to pretend. I don't really have a problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

But why stop at pretending there is a God? wouldn't it be even better to pretend you ARE God?
From a human perspective that could be a pretty terrible burden. A princess is often a figurehead who gets to enjoy pony rides and vacations without any actual burdens of power. (Well okay there are plenty of burdens to being royalty, but I'd still wager it's less than Obama or Harper face) However God or "a god" may have massive responsibilities. I'm hesitant to use this example, but comic books sometimes deal with the burden of being godlike.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
Quote:
I cannot show you my "gut feeling" because it is in my head, and I don't think you have the ability to read minds...

I am saying is I prefer inuition and emotion over logic and reason. Why is it so hard for you to just shrug and say "okay, I think it's dumb, but it's your preference."?
Why do you believe intuition is separate from logic? What do you think makes your mind develop a gut instinct to a certain stimulus if not it's ability to reason out a scenario?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

*Looks around for Lionpainter
I could be making a mistake, but I believe victorianpunk has made similar claims in the past in a "GOD is an emotion within me therefore I am GOD" kind of way.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think with a Gnostic it's different. They're more saying "God is within" or "We're all God." It's a bit more like a pantheist maybe. A pantheist could say "Therefore I am God" but they're not saying they have any unique or special quality as they believe you're God, I'm also God, that tree over there is God, etc. God is everything or everything is part of God or what have you. (Although I think Gnostics focus more on people being part-God, not sure they necessarily believe trees and rocks are also part-God)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality