Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,945,887 times

Advertisements

Two lists. List A, that which we can "prove exist" by the scientific, empirical evidence and list B, that which cannot be "proven" by empirical evidence.

List A, The "Empirically provable":

Fungi
Bacteria
Urinary tract Infections
Yeast Infections
Athlete's Foot
The element Uranium
Sulfuric Acid
Germs
Hemeroids

List B, That which is not "Empirically Provable":

Beauty
Delicious tastes
Pleasent Smells
Love
Humor
Contenment
Wonderful Music
Hope
Fun
GOD

Ever notice how the best things in life are rarely "provable" via the "empirical evidence"? so then is it just me, or does GOD appear to be in rather good company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,286,523 times
Empirically proveable

Apples
Pigs
Beer
community activities

need I continue?

Things not proveable

Hate
Anger
Pain
Heartache
Fear

I can do this all day to.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,152,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Two lists. List A, that which we can "prove exist" by the scientific, empirical evidence and list B, that which cannot be "proven" by empirical evidence.

List A, The "Empirically provable":

Fungi
Bacteria
Urinary tract Infections
Yeast Infections
Athlete's Foot
The element Uranium
Sulfuric Acid
Germs
Hemeroids

List B, That which is not "Empirically Provable":

Beauty
Delicious tastes
Pleasent Smells
Love
Humor
Contenment
Wonderful Music
Hope
Fun
GOD

Ever notice how the best things in life are rarely "provable" via the "empirical evidence"? so then is it just me, or does GOD appear to be in rather good company?
You ever notice how people don't seem to understand the difference between a word that describes an object, and a word that describes an opinion... (excluding god, I can label anything as a god)

Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,384,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You ever notice how people don't seem to understand the difference between a word that describes an object, and a word that describes an opinion... (excluding god, I can label anything as a god)

Yeah. Your non provable list is just basically opinions. One person my find beauty in a snow covered mountain while the next sees it as an icy death trap. Opinions.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,189,837 times
The concept of "empirically proving" something is somewhat subjective, really. What are your standards for deeming something empirically proven?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM

I found this using google, I agree with it.

Empirical Evidence in Scientific Research

Scientific evidence is considered empirical when it can be observed by many people and all will agree as to what they observed. An example would be reading a thermometer. No matter who observes the thermometer, it still displays the same temperature. The counterexample to this is physically sensing warmth or coolness. Observer A might sense that a room is warm, while observer B senses that the same room is cool. These observations differ depending on the observer, and are therefore considered subjective. Evidence that is not dependent on the observer (i.e., is objective), that appears the same no matter who observes the evidence, is considered to be empirical evidence.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I found this using google, I agree with it.

Empirical Evidence in Scientific Research
Scientific evidence is considered empirical when it can be observed by many people and all will agree as to what they observed. An example would be reading a thermometer. No matter who observes the thermometer, it still displays the same temperature. The counterexample to this is physically sensing warmth or coolness. Observer A might sense that a room is warm, while observer B senses that the same room is cool. These observations differ depending on the observer, and are therefore considered subjective. Evidence that is not dependent on the observer (i.e., is objective), that appears the same no matter who observes the evidence, is considered to be empirical evidence.

There are other ways of proving something other than what Scientific Research says is the right way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(knowledge)

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

You like ignoring my post don't you.
Quote:

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Empirically proveable

Apples
Pigs
Beer
community activities

need I continue?

Things not proveable

Hate
Anger
Pain
Heartache
Fear

I can do this all day to.
Hate-useful, as long as we hate a thing and not a person

Anger-wonderful, as it drives people to change things they don't like

Pain-it teaches us to see beyond our limits and allows us to test ourselves

Heartache-The origin of so much poetry and song

Fear-What would horror movies be without them?

I can do this all day.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:

So, then, love, delicious food, and wonderful music do not exist in your reality? Or are there some people's who's reality they do exist in, but not in others?

Then we are in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality