Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times

Advertisements

It really is that bad! Here in my little armpit of a town everything, including the US Post Office closes early on Wednesday so the employees have time to get ready for church! No kidding! There are over 100 churches here for a town of just over 2000. I am going to order some funny bumper stickers just to see people's reaction to them. My favorite says "Annoy a Christian. Think for yourself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Just move to Seattle.. you'll find that we don't care who you are as long as you agree with us..
Yeah, but it rains way too much there! And you all think that Starbucks is good coffee!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,622 times
The town I live in has a population of 250 people (That may include some of the cattle or stray dogs for all I know...) and just off the top of my head I can count 13 different churches....one of which meets in the school house on Sundays and Wednesdays. The one that meets at the school has been having teachers at the school pass out flyers for after school church events. My husband was fired from his job earlier this year by a supervisor who fancied himself a preacher and regularly discriminated against my husband for his disbelief. My kindergarten aged daughter brings home worksheets with phrases like "Helping hands fold in prayer." and "A good family worships together.". Last December she received a "Happy Birthday Jesus" coloring book from a school event. The first thing somebody asks when they meet you is "What church do you go to?" or "Where were you last Sunday?" So religion has a huge hold on the people in this area.

That said.. I don't necessarily fear being killed for being atheist, per say, but my life could be (and has been made) much more difficult in some aspects if my or my husband's lack of a religion was more out there.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
The town I live in has a population of 250 people (That may include some of the cattle or stray dogs for all I know...) and just off the top of my head I can count 13 different churches....one of which meets in the school house on Sundays and Wednesdays. The one that meets at the school has been having teachers at the school pass out flyers for after school church events. My husband was fired from his job earlier this year by a supervisor who fancied himself a preacher and regularly discriminated against my husband for his disbelief. My kindergarten aged daughter brings home worksheets with phrases like "Helping hands fold in prayer." and "A good family worships together.". Last December she received a "Happy Birthday Jesus" coloring book from a school event. The first thing somebody asks when they meet you is "What church do you go to?" or "Where were you last Sunday?" So religion has a huge hold on the people in this area.

That said.. I don't necessarily fear being killed for being atheist, per say, but my life could be (and has been made) much more difficult in some aspects if my or my husband's lack of a religion was more out there.
Oh boy...I'd be so tempted to take things like that up with the ACLU. Soooo tempting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality