U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,866,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yeah, I know...I understand the concept of tithe. But he stated that it was set at 10% and as far as I'm aware, it's not. That amount is something I think has been arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel. Because, you know...Jeeezus needs money.

exact a tithe from; "The church was tithed"
tithe - pay one tenth of; pay tithes on, especially to the church; "He tithed his income to the Church"
tithe - a levy of one tenth of something
tithe - an offering of a tenth part of some personal income
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

4,325 posts, read 4,806,580 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know...I understand the concept of tithe. But he stated that it was set at 10% and as far as I'm aware, it's not. That amount is something I think has been arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel. Because, you know...Jeeezus needs money.
Yup. And those same church's would then have to preach out of a barn or something. Guess God can't be in a barn, can He? He's gotta be all decked out with a sound system and everything. Huh. No wonder I'm not a very good minister. I volunteer my time and have no building to teach from.

Anyone wanna donate? It's for God!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM

[quote=Reverend1111;11284553
Anyone wanna donate? It's for God! [/quote]

God should have enough by now. He/she/it owns more real property than any entity in the world except the government.

Is he/she/it just not too good about managing money? My ex wife was a lot like that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 8,657,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
exact a tithe from; "The church was tithed"
tithe - pay one tenth of; pay tithes on, especially to the church; "He tithed his income to the Church"
tithe - a levy of one tenth of something
tithe - an offering of a tenth part of some personal income
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
That's what the word has BECOME, not what it meant back then. I'm not arguing that their bible says to pay tithe, I'm disputing the fact that they say their god wants 10%, because I don't recall ever seeing that in the bible.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
God should have enough by now. He/she/it owns more real property than any entity in the world except the government.

Is he/she/it just not too good about managing money? My ex wife was a lot like that.
Maybe those churches are hoarding all the money and God keeps asking for more because He's only getting ten percent of their intake. Skimming off the top for their own glamor and glory. But of course, it's always done in the name of God so He must know what their doing. If He ever finds out, He's gonna be sooo mad and start raining fire and send us to the place called hell. Must be a busy place. I'm gonna be there someday. They told me so it must be true.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,023,404 times
Quote:
If you're going to criticize Christianity, at least know what you're talking about instead of lazily assuming things are "arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel." You'd have more credibility if you weren't blindly presumptuous and accusatory, and if you didn't use needlessly offensive remarks (i.e. "Jeezus needs money").

Deut. 14
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 10-21-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
If you're going to criticize Christianity, at least know what you're talking about instead of lazily assuming things are "arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel." Because, you know....atheists needs edukashuns.

Deut. 14
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
And do you know why they do this? It's not the money it was to be about.
It's about the crops and how they will flourish when you take the 10% and leave it in the ground, unpicked. I will have to look it up again but I believe it's derived from the Tree of Life and instead of "eating" of it, it was picked from.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
If you're going to criticize Christianity, at least know what you're talking about instead of lazily assuming things are "arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel." Because, you know....atheists needs edukashuns.

Deut. 14

One of every six people in this world dying from some form of malnutrition ...mostly children and you come back with something like that. Get Real!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM

13,036 posts, read 6,804,794 times
Quote:
I Read Their Rule Book
That's nice, but have you ever met our Savior?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's nice, but have you ever met our Savior?
I believed I had for nearly forty years but there's just too many fairy tales in the book his buddies wrote to suit me.

Did you know that none of the living historians of that time told of Jesus' miracles or his crucifiction and resurrection? That would be like NY sports writers never mentioning that Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle were good hitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality