U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM
 
6,085 posts, read 7,875,853 times
Reputation: 3326

Advertisements

[quote=Melvin.George;11325044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You might want to present the rest it in context:

I read it thoroughly. It appears to me that your argument has run out of gas. Why am I not surprised. There are almost 300 direct contradictions in the new testament. I heard many years ago that if the New York Times had sent a dozen star reporters to cover the last eighteen months of Jesus' life and the cruxifiction and they had returned with the stories in the new testament all twelve would have been fired and they wouldn't have printed the story.
Gnosticism can never "run out of gas" even with 2,000 years of oppression attempting to "drain the tank". Of course the bible has contradictions! Why? Because it was written by multiple authors 80-200 years after the events, and the bible is not meant to be taken literally.

Why am I not supprised that a critic of Christianity, who thinks he has it all figured out, can only attack the Nicene and literalists interruptation of the bible? Probably because, remove Literalism, and there is really nothing left to attack.

Anyway, there are allot of contradictions, true, but when one adds the OTHER BIBLE to those books that were Constantine approved (the modern NT and OT) we find that there are allot less of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,713 posts, read 11,457,344 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Gnosticism can never "run out of gas" even with 2,000 years of oppression attempting to "drain the tank". Of course the bible has contradictions! Why? Because it was written by multiple authors 80-200 years after the events, and the bible is not meant to be taken literally.

Why am I not supprised that a critic of Christianity, who thinks he has it all figured out, can only attack the Nicene and literalists interruptation of the bible? Probably because, remove Literalism, and there is really nothing left to attack.

Anyway, there are allot of contradictions, true, but when one adds the OTHER BIBLE to those books that were Constantine approved (the modern NT and OT) we find that there are allot less of them.

Most people, upon hearing the word "Christianity" have a hard time disassociating the traditional, fundamentalist, literalist, brainwashing that is commonplace throughout most of America from at least a more responsible (I'll get to that in a minute) claim. That same absurd literalist fecal matter has been digested, regurgitated and swallowed anew by generation after generation of people who fall easy prey to such trivial "My way is the only way" lifestyle. It's not hard to realize that this is most widespread in smaller communities mostly in the South and parts of the Midwest. Many people in these areas have had absolutely no cultural immersion whatsoever aside from a devout desire to separate blacks and whites. There is no effort or desire to even have another viewpoint simply presented. So, the fire and brimstone propaganda speeches of the evil, despotic maniac that dominated the Southern churches for years has probably not changed all that much since.

I can respect your Gnosticism in the fact that at least you admit to it being a spiritual interpretation and that your interpretation is at least what you claim it to be - your interpretation. Most of the brainwashed masses simply spit out what has been recited to them and make absolutely no claim to say they are using anything but some sort of divine guidance from their crackpot mass murderer in the sky. They make no effort and afford themselves absolutely no responsibility for their projections of humanity onto their deified dictator. They refuse to admit that their biases and prejudices for or against any given topic are their preferences.

Instead, they insist and demand that their God warrants them to be that way. In an almost smugly contemptuous way, I can almost hear them saying "I would really love to accept you and love you but I simply cannot do that because my God demands otherwise. Instead, I'm going to have to ask you to repent your sins before Jesus so as to assure me of the curing of your disease."

It is that blatant, awful and contemptuous arrogance about most of mainstream Christianity (what is being confused when you call yourself a Christian) in which I think you find the sarcastic responses and sometimes even vulgar approaches. But, in my opinion, most of them deserve nothing more than the utmost criticism and starvation of their overinflated egos.

If they want to garner my respect (and anyone else's) they could find a good place to start by simply announcing that all their bloviated rhetoric and humdrum is their interpretation and not some sort of privatized special connection between them and their galactic Pol Pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 1,868,218 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Most people, upon hearing the word "Christianity" have a hard time disassociating the traditional, fundamentalist, literalist, brainwashing that is commonplace throughout most of America from at least a more responsible (I'll get to that in a minute) claim. That same absurd literalist fecal matter has been digested, regurgitated and swallowed anew by generation after generation of people who fall easy prey to such trivial "My way is the only way" lifestyle. It's not hard to realize that this is most widespread in smaller communities mostly in the South and parts of the Midwest. Many people in these areas have had absolutely no cultural immersion whatsoever aside from a devout desire to separate blacks and whites. There is no effort or desire to even have another viewpoint simply presented. So, the fire and brimstone propaganda speeches of the evil, despotic maniac that dominated the Southern churches for years has probably not changed all that much since.

I can respect your Gnosticism in the fact that at least you admit to it being a spiritual interpretation and that your interpretation is at least what you claim it to be - your interpretation. Most of the brainwashed masses simply spit out what has been recited to them and make absolutely no claim to say they are using anything but some sort of divine guidance from their crackpot mass murderer in the sky. They make no effort and afford themselves absolutely no responsibility for their projections of humanity onto their deified dictator. They refuse to admit that their biases and prejudices for or against any given topic are their preferences.

Instead, they insist and demand that their God warrants them to be that way. In an almost smugly contemptuous way, I can almost hear them saying "I would really love to accept you and love you but I simply cannot do that because my God demands otherwise. Instead, I'm going to have to ask you to repent your sins before Jesus so as to assure me of the curing of your disease."

It is that blatant, awful and contemptuous arrogance about most of mainstream Christianity (what is being confused when you call yourself a Christian) in which I think you find the sarcastic responses and sometimes even vulgar approaches. But, in my opinion, most of them deserve nothing more than the utmost criticism and starvation of their overinflated egos.

If they want to garner my respect (and anyone else's) they could find a good place to start by simply announcing that all their bloviated rhetoric and humdrum is their interpretation and not some sort of privatized special connection between them and their galactic Pol Pot.

I wish I had said that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 07:34 PM
 
6,085 posts, read 7,875,853 times
Reputation: 3326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Most people, upon hearing the word "Christianity" have a hard time disassociating the traditional, fundamentalist, literalist, brainwashing that is commonplace throughout most of America from at least a more responsible (I'll get to that in a minute) claim. That same absurd literalist fecal matter has been digested, regurgitated and swallowed anew by generation after generation of people who fall easy prey to such trivial "My way is the only way" lifestyle. It's not hard to realize that this is most widespread in smaller communities mostly in the South and parts of the Midwest. Many people in these areas have had absolutely no cultural immersion whatsoever aside from a devout desire to separate blacks and whites. There is no effort or desire to even have another viewpoint simply presented. So, the fire and brimstone propaganda speeches of the evil, despotic maniac that dominated the Southern churches for years has probably not changed all that much since.

I can respect your Gnosticism in the fact that at least you admit to it being a spiritual interpretation and that your interpretation is at least what you claim it to be - your interpretation. Most of the brainwashed masses simply spit out what has been recited to them and make absolutely no claim to say they are using anything but some sort of divine guidance from their crackpot mass murderer in the sky. They make no effort and afford themselves absolutely no responsibility for their projections of humanity onto their deified dictator. They refuse to admit that their biases and prejudices for or against any given topic are their preferences.

Instead, they insist and demand that their God warrants them to be that way. In an almost smugly contemptuous way, I can almost hear them saying "I would really love to accept you and love you but I simply cannot do that because my God demands otherwise. Instead, I'm going to have to ask you to repent your sins before Jesus so as to assure me of the curing of your disease."

It is that blatant, awful and contemptuous arrogance about most of mainstream Christianity (what is being confused when you call yourself a Christian) in which I think you find the sarcastic responses and sometimes even vulgar approaches. But, in my opinion, most of them deserve nothing more than the utmost criticism and starvation of their overinflated egos.

If they want to garner my respect (and anyone else's) they could find a good place to start by simply announcing that all their bloviated rhetoric and humdrum is their interpretation and not some sort of privatized special connection between them and their galactic Pol Pot.


Okay. I grew up here in Jersey, one of the bluest of blue states that ever blued. The closest thing to a fundamentalist around here is someone who insist that the gay couple get married in a church and not in Atlantic city hotel, or someone who prays that their daughters abortion goes well.

So, I guess I just have a different prespective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,713 posts, read 11,457,344 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay. I grew up here in Jersey, one of the bluest of blue states that ever blued. The closest thing to a fundamentalist around here is someone who insist that the gay couple get married in a church and not in Atlantic city hotel, or someone who prays that their daughters abortion goes well.

So, I guess I just have a different prespective.
I'm very familiar with New Jersey. My whole family is from there and I know precisely from which perspective you are coming. That is one of the things that a friend of mine from another country (who is also a poster on this forum) mentioned to me at a wedding reception recently. The U.S. has so many cultural variants and so many different perspectives and ways of life that it can sometimes be hard to fathom that we are one solitary country.

John Steinbeck wrote a book that reminds me so much of what my friend was talking about. It's called Travels With Charley and despite it's rather seemingly insignificant storyline, it captures the unique and individual persona of America with such amazing insight. Despite it being written in the early 1960's, I think it still stands as a valid testament to the vast cultural diversification we have as a country.

It's a quick read (only about 200-250 pages) but I highly recommend it to get a grasp of just how varied we, as a country, can be. If nothing else, it's Steinbeck so you should probably read it anyway.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 10-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Trying hard not to end sentences with prepositions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,169,012 times
Reputation: 7257
Sorry hit wrong button on this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Michaux State Forest
1,274 posts, read 2,726,230 times
Reputation: 1392
I'm sorry, I haven't read thru all the posts, that said, I have met MANY hypocrate if not hateful Christians. However, I do know one Fundamentalist Christian who really walks the walk, she believes whole heartedly, and has found peace and contentment in her faith. She is both loving and kind as well as wise and I would walk a mile thru broken glass for her. She exemplifies what true Christianity should be and I'm proud to have her as a friend. However, I could never tell her that I'm not a Christian anymore, not because she would castigate or judge me, but because it would break her heart. That makes me sad as she is like a second mom to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top