Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times

Advertisements

A Christian is meek, turns the other cheek, walks the extra mile, loves their neighbor as they love theirself, loves their enemies, prays for those who curse and despise them, if sued in court for their coat, volutarily gives their cloak. In addition to that they donate 10% of all they struggle for and give gifts beyond that.

I've never met one. 'Course I'm just 75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A Christian is meek, turns the other cheek, walks the extra mile, loves their neighbor as they love theirself, loves their enemies, prays for those who curse and despise them, if sued in court for their coat, volutarily gives their cloak. In addition to that they donate 10% of all they struggle for and give gifts beyond that.

Where did you see the 10% in the bible?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's called a tithe. Gifts or offerings are in excess of that.

"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3:8).

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse… and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it " (Malachi 3:10). (See also Luke 6:38).

My wife and I donated 10% of our gross for the nearly forty years we were involved. It ran from sometime in 1957 to about 1994. We donated to building funds, missionary drives and local needs beyond that. I estimate that conservatively we gave the church between $80,000 and $100,000 and then I did what I should have done a lot earlier...quit!

Also...we didn't claim it when we filed our tax returns because the scripture says:

Mat 22:21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
Mat 22:22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

If Caesar is entitled to his part and you take away from it...he didn't get it.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 10-21-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Biblers believe that God needs money for some reason. I think it's in the OT but not sure where. OMG! I gotta look that one up! Maybe I should reread that darn book so I can correspond better on this board.
Of course, the tithing is voluntary. There's no law that says you have to but then when in church, most people are sitting in fear so they give it out of that fear. What a life that must be!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:

That's cause you were looking in the church. I've met plenty who never go to church.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
That's cause you were looking in the church. I've met plenty who never go to church.
I've never met a person who fell even close to that description. Not One!

Who doesn't show up in court to defend themselves and then...who gives the one who is doing the suing something extra? You better come out in the sunshine reverend

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I've never met a person who fell even close to that description. Not One!

Who doesn't show up in court to defend themselves and then...who gives the one who is doing the suing something extra? You better come out in the sunshine reverend
Oh, I am! It's beautiful! You just haven't met my friends. You really should as they are very dear! True christians without the title.
There truely are people like that in this world. I'm sorry your past is preventing you from discovering that.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:

That's sad, because I have and I am 29. I seek to be like the very ones that I have met in my life. You should get out more.

The ones who fit the bill that I have seen are not perfect and honestly even though they are truely living by what God says to live, they are the main ones who will tell you that they are not perfect. But I have seen mature Christians who are what you say you have not seen.

I seek to be like this one day. I'm not there yet, and many here if not all here in this forum are not either. To live by what the bible says that we must do, it takes time because God takes out everything that is not like Him, and people want to hold on to the bad, and negative stuff.

So, just because you say you haven't seen it, does not mean that they are not out there, because I have seen this in my life time.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It's called a tithe. Gifts or offerings are in excess of that.

Melvin, Melvin, Melvin...I KNOW it's called tithe. I am just wondering where you came up with 10%. As far as I'm aware, that percentage is not mandated anywhere in the bible.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Biblers believe that God needs money for some reason. I think it's in the OT but not sure where. OMG! I gotta look that one up! Maybe I should reread that darn book so I can correspond better on this board.
Of course, the tithing is voluntary. There's no law that says you have to but then when in church, most people are sitting in fear so they give it out of that fear. What a life that must be!
Yeah, I know...I understand the concept of tithe. But he stated that it was set at 10% and as far as I'm aware, it's not. That amount is something I think has been arbitrarily decided by religious groups to be as much as they can squeeze out of their congregations without making them rebel. Moderator cut: Deleted due to offensiveness.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-21-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality