Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
you use a dodge with an insult when you don't like a persons point, which you can't refute.
A person who believes a 2000 year old collection of Jewish fairy tales is already refuted.

The feeding of 5,000 with two fish and five loaves then gathering twelve baskets of leftovers reminds me of Jack and the Beanstalk. I'm not too into virgin birth, walking on water, healing by touching or resurrection either.

The holy ghost is a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
AND Solomon was the richest man that ever lived. King David had riches and was a Man after God's own Heart. Jesus came to die for our sins, so that we can have eternal life. He never said we could never prosper.
Solomon and David weren't rich, the state of Israel was rich. They just happened to be King.

As someone already posted, Jesus said that you should sell everything you own, give the money to the poor, and then you will be rich in heaven.

Christians, ugh, when will they read that holy book of theirs?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Solomon and David weren't rich, the state of Israel was rich. They just happened to be King.

As someone already posted, Jesus said that you should sell everything you own, give the money to the poor, and then you will be rich in heaven.

Christians, ugh, when will they read that holy book of theirs?
Jesus was talking to a young rich man, whom he wanted to follow him. He could not do what Jesus asked and so disppeared from history. He probably lead a wonderful life, but he could have learned from Jesus and written many books like Paul did, teaching us more about Jesus. But this rich man loved his riches more then Jesus!

This is not a commandment to all Christians. Read what the bible says, not what you want it to say!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Melvin, Melvin, Melvin...I KNOW it's called tithe. I am just wondering where you came up with 10%. As far as I'm aware, that percentage is not mandated anywhere in the bible.
It was Abraham who established the tithe when he gave ten percent of all that he won in the battle of the five kings. He tithed to Shem (Noah's Son) who was King of Salem (aka Melchizedek).

Read this in Gen. 14:18: And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19: And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

The word tithe means "ten" or "a tenth part of".

Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
This is not a commandment to all Christians. Read what the bible says, not what you want it to say!
There goes another one...

Attached Thumbnails
I Read Their Rule Book-ironymetersplode.jpg  

Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The word tithe means "ten" or "a tenth part of".
Or ten percent to clarify it for the half educated.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Leviticus 20:13

'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.'

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

I know thats not all the bible says.
You "know thats not all the bible says," yet you continue to cherry-pick snippets out of context to generate a seeming contradiction, which only seems contradictory precisely because you quote snippets out of context, conveniently ignoring the rest of the literature. You either truly don't know enough to make a rational statement or, at worst, you're being disingenuous just to bolster your obviously biased position.

Quote:
You are proving the point that it flat out contradicts itself on numerous occasions.
Not at all. I'm pointing out that when you snip a few simple lines out of a work of literature with the intent of juxtaposing them to demonstrate a seeming contradiction, conveniently ignoring the rest of the literary work, you are creating an absolutely irrational and false basis for asserting contradiction.

It would be no different than if you took a History book and quoted a line of a chapter in that book that identified New York City as the capital of the USA and then quoted a line from a later chapter that identifed Washington, DC as the capital of the USA. If you did that, and then said, "AHA! Look at that! A lot of people think this History book is accurate, but lookie thar! It done CONTRADICTED hisself!!!" people would quickly point out that you took each line out of context, and that when put in context BOTH statements are true. The contradiction is fabricated by your manipulation of the text, pulling lines out of context and conveniently ignoring the rest of the text.

Quote:
I'm pointing out that Christians today will tell you that the bible is the induputible word of God, and if thats the case, then the whole "turn the other check" and "He who is without sin cast the first stone" thing are BS.
What does "induputible" mean?

And, again, you are using snippets of text out of context to make your point, conveniently excluding the rest of the literature in your "reasoning".

Quote:
So, if you need a refresher course on the bible, let me know. You'll no doubtedly post something meaningful and good from the bible, thats fine. Again, you'll only be proving my point that the bible contradicts itself constantly.
Well, I didn't post anything from the Bible, because your problem at this point is in reading comprehension and logic, in which I just gave you a refresher (??? more like an introductory) course.

Try to learn logic and apply it when you argue, it will give you some credibility and something on which people can build a conversation with you. As long as you stick to the old, hackneyed, tired anti-Christian talking points you will not be having rational discussions.

If you prefer to stick to irrational reasons to hate Christianity you are certainly entitled to do so; just don't expect to always get away with passing it off as rational, someone like me is bound to hold your feet to the fire.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You are an adult (assumed ) yet you use a dodge with an insult when you don't like a persons point, which you can't refute so what else is there to do but discredit with an insult.
Yeah, at 75 I'll hopefully be dead, I won't be flaming on a message board.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Yeah, at 75 I'll hopefully be dead, I won't be flaming on a message board.
We shall be waiting with baited breath

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
We shall be waiting with baited breath

Idiom Definitions for 'Bated breath'

If someone says they're waiting with bated breath, they're very excited and find it difficult to be patient.

('Baited breath' is a common mistake.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality