Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 02:37 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lots of good stuff on youtube too, but it's no different that the rest of the web....Ya gotta sort the wheat from the chaff.
You know, I'm obviously on your side of the debate here, but I have to tell you. I don't really take any pleasure in videos like this.

I jumped in to this thread because I'm trying to occupy my brain for a couple hours until my wife and kid come back from a birthday party.

I find these folks (on our side, I'm saying) just as frightening as the zealots on the other side.

Can't we all just live our lives without trying to convince each other that we're right?

I mean, yes, I get the hypocrisy being that I'm posting in this thread and taking a side, but I honestly don't care about Lightinsky and whether or not she finally decides to believe in Science instead of god. I really genuinely mean that. I believe what I believe. She believes what she believes. That's all cool and the gang as long as she isn't trying to peddle ignorance to me and my family.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop believing what they believe. I'm trying to convince self righteous jerks to stop telling other people that their set of morals and standards are "wrong" and that it will result in physical pain. That, sir, is a threat. And I don't appreciate that crap.

Know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
zdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
I'm a man.
Do you mind telling me what part of the country you live in? I'm just curious.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
[quote=zdg;11329803]You know, I'm obviously on your side of the debate here, but I have to tell you. I don't really take any pleasure in videos like this.

I jumped in to this thread because I'm trying to occupy my brain for a couple hours until my wife and kid come back from a birthday party.

I find these folks (on our side, I'm saying) just as frightening as the zealots on the other side.

Can't we all just live our lives without trying to convince each other that we're right?

I mean, yes, I get the hypocrisy being that I'm posting in this thread and taking a side, but I honestly don't care about Lightinsky and whether or not she finally decides to believe in Science instead of god. I really genuinely mean that. I believe what I believe. She believes what she believes. That's all cool and the gang as long as she isn't trying to peddle ignorance to me and my family.

Quote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop believing what they believe. I'm trying to convince self righteous jerks to stop telling other people that their set of morals and standards are "wrong" and that it will result in physical pain. That, sir, is a threat. And I don't appreciate that crap.
That is exactly what the video is about.

Why not watch the video before making a judgment?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
zdg

Quote:
Fair enough.

I'll go watch it.

If it's not what I thought it was, please accept my apology and understand that I wasn't railing against you, but against the numerous videos and shows out there that are basically the same nutjobbery, just from our side.

Wasn't an attack on you or anything. Swear.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:01 PM
zdg

Ok, I watched it.

It was pretty much what I thought it would be. Again, I totally appreciate it. I find it mental masturbation that is fun to listen to of course. But it still does make me cringe. Watching educated adults talk logic and science with uneducated people is frustrating because those people (like our own Lightinsky) don't use the basic rules of logic when debating. I'm just saying, sure, I agree with it of course, but in the end no one is better off. We still believe what we believe, they believe what they believe and discussions/debates like this usually just serve to upset everyone.

They use a book as "proof" of everything they want to believe. We use science and logical thought as "proof" of everything we want to believe. We're just not playing with the same set of debate rules, so videos like this are fun, sure, but ultimately not productive. That's all I'm sayin', man.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
It's all a joke to you guys but one day when you are old and gray hopefully and on your death bed somewhere you will remember me that old fool who believed science was lying to mankind about God not existing and how Christ Jesus was telling the truth.
Would you mind answering this question for me..since you've seemed to skip over it some four pages of insanity ago... please?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11329413-post150.html

Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Well LIS. You appear to have plenty of time today. You ready to discuss the topic of the thread with me?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 PM

218 posts, read 311,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Would you mind answering this question for me..since you've seemed to skip over it some four pages of insanity ago... please?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11329413-post150.html
I don't know what you want me to say here.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 PM

218 posts, read 311,178 times
[quote=sanspeur;11329843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
You know, I'm obviously on your side of the debate here, but I have to tell you. I don't really take any pleasure in videos like this.

That is exactly what the video is about.

First of all I'm a man and secondly why can't someone believe in science and God at the same time.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM
zdg

[quote=Lightinsky;11333164]
Quote:

First of all I'm a man and secondly why can't someone believe in science and God at the same time.
Because you either demand observable, testable proof or you believe that an invisible phantom controls the universe. And my god says you are a woman. You're just trying to trick me with your evil. This is why Cecil warned me about you.

I know the real truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality