Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM

218 posts, read 311,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
You're using the supposed existence of characters from your religion of choice as proof that your religion of choice is the right one. That's circular logic and in the end, a useless argument. I can argue that vampires are real because I've read about them in books that said they existed, but that doesn't actually mean vampires exist.

Religion, particularly Christianity, does not hold the market on morality. All things considered, Christianity is a relatively new religion on the deity of choice scene. Especially in the sense of the evangelicals we see in America today. But standards of living within society and the morals that exist within communities are much older than religions.

And the "morals" so often promoted by the Bible are questionable in the first place. Stoning women who are not virgins, forcing women to marry their rapists, God sanctioned mass murders of infants and women with child, condoning of slavery, an eye for an eye, etc. It's rather barbaric.

Hitler was a Christian who believed he was doing God's work. Evil exists, sure, but sin is a religious based concept and I can, in fact, say there's no such thing as sin. Hell, most Christian groups can't even come to a comprehensive agreement on what acts constitute as sin.
The bible says you can judge a christian or believer by the fruit they produce. Galatians 5:22 which are love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, kindness, and self control. You saying Hitler was a christian proves to me you have no clue what a true christian is. Hitler was the devils puppet, no christian, a murderer, lier, hater. He didn't bear any of the characteristics the bible talks about in Galatians. So please don't insult me and say to me he was a christian. That you are wrong about. What is the definition of sin. Look at what a dictionary says below.
Main Entry: 1sin
Pronunciation: \ˈsin\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sinne, from Old English synn; akin to Old High German sunta sin and probably to Latin sont-, sons guilty, est is — more at is
Date: before 12th century

1 a : an offense against religious or moral law b : an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible <it's a sin to waste food> c : an often serious shortcoming : fault
2 a : transgression of the law of God b : a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God synonyms see offense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Still waiting...

Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Still waiting...
So is God, admit He is truth

Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
So is God, admit He is truth
Typical, that in NO way answers my question.

Time for me to leave. My daddy said it was not nice to engage in a battle of wits with an un-armed person.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Typical, that in NO way answers my question.
The question you should be asking yourself is could God and science coexist in harmony that maybe atheists and theists don't have all the answers but God does?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Time for me to leave. My daddy said it was not nice to engage in a battle of wits with an un-armed person.
Precisely the conclusion I came to.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Precisely the conclusion I came to.
Who ever said you were armed and if you are soon you will be disarmed under the Obama administration. You seem to think you have a better grasp on creation and this world proves you have sin. You have pride which is original sin.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
Quote:
The bible says you can judge a christian or believer by the fruit they produce. Galatians 5:22 which are love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, kindness, and self control. You saying Hitler was a christian proves to me you have no clue what a true christian is. Hitler was the devils puppet, no christian, a murderer, lier, hater. He didn't bear any of the characteristics the bible talks about in Galatians. So please don't insult me and say to me he was a christian. That you are wrong about.
You know what? Sometimes the truth hurts. A Christian is anybody who professes belief in the teaching of Jesus Christ. I can use dictionaries, too.: Christian - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary As with what I said about sin previously, even Christians can not come to a collective agreement on what a "True Christian"(TM) is. Hitler most certainly was Christian, whether that bothers you or not is your own problem.

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Quote:
What is the definition of sin. Look at what a dictionary says below.
Main Entry: 1sin
Pronunciation: \ˈsin\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sinne, from Old English synn; akin to Old High German sunta sin and probably to Latin sont-, sons guilty, est is — more at is
Date: before 12th century

1 a : an offense against religious or moral law b : an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible <it's a sin to waste food> c : an often serious shortcoming : fault
2 a : transgression of the law of God b : a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God synonyms see offense
You can't transgress against a being that does not exist. So no god = no transgression = no sin. Sin does not exist outside of religion. Good and bad, sure. But sin.. no.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
The question you should be asking yourself is could God and science coexist in harmony that maybe atheists and theists don't have all the answers but God does?
Back to my first post to you a few days ago....

Wow.

Just. Wow. You are possibly the least persuasive salesperson I have ever met.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
Quote:
Who ever said you were armed and if you are soon you will be disarmed under the Obama administration. You seem to think you have a better grasp on creation and this world proves you have sin. You have pride which is original sin.
Oh boy. A conspiracy theorist to boot, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality