Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There is no doubt that atheism or agnosticism also falls into the category of philosophy.

Actually, there is. Atheism and Agnosticism is not a philosophical belief system but rather a belief that there is no God and an uncertainty as to if there is a God or not, respectfully. There are secular philosophies out there, and there are philosophies in which belief in God is said to be a negative thing, but that is not what I am seeing here.

Quote:
As others have noted, this is the Religion and Philosophy Forum, it's not the Christians only forum. There is a Christian subforum and an atheist and agnostic forum which should allow anyone who is offended by atheism to stick to the Christian forum.
So, a non-christian should go to the Christian forum because he or she does not want to be attacked by anti-theists left and right on a "religion" forum?
Quote:
I personally like to discuss religious and non religious beliefs and to get into the details of why people believe in various things. That's really the purpose of this forum so the OP is really mistaken when they refer to this forum as a religion board.

No, the point of this forum is RELIGION AND PHILOSOPHY, not attacking the belief in God or belief in religion, just as I would not go on a sports board and attack the opinion that sports are somehow worth being a fan of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, so if I said "I have a keen intrest in sports because I believe that they reinforce a awful male stereotype, promote violence, and are an overall waste of people's time and money and I fel that sports fans need to be debated and made to realize that every straight male on Earth does not necessarily argee with them" would that not make me a prick for going onto a sports board and saying "all sports are stupid"?
Every religion has a philosophy, while not every philosophy is a religion.
Again you have the rationality of a infant.

You just need to add in "personally" in there.

YouTube - Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question

Your logic is no better then Ms. South Carolina.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Okay, so if I said "I have a keen intrest in sports because I believe that they reinforce a awful male stereotype, promote violence, and are an overall waste of people's time and money and I fel that sports fans need to be debated and made to realize that every straight male on Earth does not necessarily argee with them" would that not make me a prick for going onto a sports board and saying "all sports are stupid"?
First of all, sports fans do not try to make the rest of society follow what they believe.

Second, it may make you a prick to say that on a sports board, but it would generate discussion. Isn't that what boards are for?

Now, are you just being obtuse to make a point? Or, do you really not see the significant difference here?

Quote:
Every religion has a philosophy, while not every philosophy is a religion.
So?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:17 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
Quote:
You might have something there. I detect allot of bent up hostility people have from the religion of their childhood, and they use this board as a outlet to vent their frustations.

Also, I detect allot of what can only be called "envy" from some of these people towards spiritual people. Someone posts a really nice message about how their faith is good to them, and some anti-theists comes on and, in true Emo fashion, says something along the lines of "yahh, well, your gawwd doesn't exist. So, the fact that you're happy is stupid".

Why get bent out of shape at someone else's happiness if you yourself aren't simply envious of that happiness?
I am very spiritual and believe in God 100% that said, I don't have a problem with Athiests voicing their opinions because I am secure in my own beliefs. What I do have a problem with is the notion that Athiests or non-Christians are somehow lacking in morals because they don't subscribe to a particular religion/belief system. I find it VERY condecending and judgemental. I am very happy if someone finds joy and fufillment in their beliefs, just don't tell me mine are lacking or wrong because they are different from the mainstream.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
No, the point of this forum is RELIGION AND PHILOSOPHY, not attacking the belief in God or belief in religion, just as I would not go on a sports board and attack the opinion that sports are somehow worth being a fan of.
Some of us are not attacking the beliefs, but the pushing of those beliefs on society in general. Do you see the distinction?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I am very spiritual and believe in God 100% that said, I don't have a problem with Athiests voicing their opinions because I am secure in my own beliefs. What I do have a problem with is the notion that Athiests or non-Christians are somehow lacking in morals because they don't subscribe to a particular religion/belief system. I find it VERY condecending and judgemental. I am very happy if someone finds joy and fufillment in their beliefs, just don't tell me mine are lacking or wrong because they are different from the mainstream.
rep added.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Your belief are lacking and wrong because they are different from the mainstream beliefs.....

***don't hurt me***

Seriously, why would you not want me to disagree with your opinion?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:

Hmm...let's look at the definition of "philosophy", shall we? Pay close attention so that you grok this, okay? Ready? Here we go:

1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
6. a philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.

Sooo...now that you've carefully read and fully understand the definition of philosophy, tell me what part of all that wouldn't apply to someone that is an atheist? What part of that wouldn't apply to every single person in the world? Remember now, the ONLY THING that atheism means is the lack of belief in a deity.

And honestly, if you're so grotesquely unhappy here, go to one of the many freely available discussion boards that discuss comparative religions. There's a buttload of them out there. If you'd bothered to put as much effort into finding one as you have to whinging here about how terrible we are, then you'd know that, and you'd have as many as you liked to post upon.

As Tallahassee so wittily put it..."time to nut up or shut up".

Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
rep added.
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Your belief are lacking and wrong because they are different from the mainstream beliefs.....

***don't hurt me***

Seriously, why would you not want me to disagree with your opinion?
Ok smarty, want to take this outside? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality