Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM

179 posts, read 295,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
PersonaFan: You really refuse to understand, don't you? If it weren't for science, you wouldn't be using a computer. Science does much more than create war implements. Without it, we would all still be living in medieval villages, waiting for the Black Plague to return. As for your 'my way or else' preaching, that sort of thing has caused more war than anything else in history.

I'm still interested in religion and philosophy, even though I'm a heathen. Joseph Campbell was a very bright man who studied religion and culture from an anthropological perspective.
Don't mistake human enginuity for science as the ancient ones didn't use science to build the pyramids or anything else for that matter. I major in Computer Engineering and don't consider it a science. If it is it's not taught as such otherwise I'm a semester away from becoming a scientist! What irony! I don't look at engineering and science as even remotely similar! Though math is prevelent in both...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
I have no interest in joining any religion -- that is not to say I have no interest in pointing out the absurdity nature of religions. In fact, I enjoy pointing out such absurdity. That's why you'll see me around here -- whether you like it or not.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
I have no interest in joining any religion -- that is not to say I have no interest in pointing out the absurdity nature of religions. In fact, I enjoy pointing out such absurdity. That's why you'll see me around here -- whether you like it or not.

Wether you like it or not, not all religions are absurd, and heck, most aren't, the moment you take away the narrow, literalist interpretation.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM

47 posts, read 77,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Wether you like it or not, not all religions are absurd, and heck, most aren't, the moment you take away the narrow, literalist interpretation.
Yes, I agree entirely with you. This is the issue I've had with other Forums as well. Atheists love to use the internet to bash on theists because they know that they lack the courage to do so in person. I too have had great experience's in collage and even at work! With all religions even atheists in person none have ever disrespected my beliefs or those of any other person I know. Neither have I ever disrespected theirs. However, online forget about it those people show their real colors here. I may be new to this forum but not the internet it's the same everywhere online. And, kills me is that they have the nerve to say that we're the "bad" ones. Gimme a break! I've looked around a few of the posts and 90% of the time it's the atheists starting all the arguments and hijacking the threads. As for absurd one word "atheism"

Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxCRUSADERxx View Post
Yes, I agree entirely with you. This is the issue I've had with other Forums as well. Atheists love to use the internet to bash on theists because they know that they lack the courage to do so in person. I too have had great experience's in collage and even at work! With all religions even atheists in person none have ever disrespected my beliefs or those of any other person I know. Neither have I ever disrespected theirs. However, online forget about it those people show their real colors here. I may be new to this forum but not the internet it's the same everywhere online. And, kills me is that they have the nerve to say that we're the "bad" ones. Gimme a break! I've looked around a few of the posts and 90% of the time it's the atheists starting all the arguments and hijacking the threads. As for absurd one word "atheism"

Are you going to be okay? You seem pretty worked up about all of this. But relax, it will be okay. There's nothing for you to get excited about.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Are you going to be okay? You seem pretty worked up about all of this. But relax, it will be okay. There's nothing for you to get excited about.

Seems this one wants us heathen to sit in the corner and shut up - how quaint?

I guess non belief does not constitute a belief.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxCRUSADERxx View Post

I always get a kick out of "disrespected my beliefs." How does that work?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I always get a kick out of "disrespected my beliefs." How does that work?
The way it works is anyone daring to put the opposing view. this is what's called 'hijacking the thread' which is of course supposed to be purely for persuading people to believe and keep topping up the faith. Anyone pointing up that faith is the worst reason for believing anything are being 'disrespectful'.

How much respect do you see for atheism from Theist posters? Not a lot.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The way it works is anyone daring to put the opposing view. this is what's called 'hijacking the thread' which is of course supposed to be purely for persuading people to believe and keep topping up the faith. Anyone pointing up that faith is the worst reason for believing anything are being 'disrespectful'.
Actually, hijacking a thread is when someone runs into any thread with the same old, tired "IT'S ALL BS ANYWAY!" line when someone is talking about what verses in the Tao Te Ching are the most beautiful or talking about Sufism or something. A thread on the existince of God in one thing to do that on, but one on another topic is another matter entirely.

I have nothing against respectfully disagreement, as long as it's respectful.

Quote:
How much respect do you see for atheism from Theist posters? Not a lot.
I have stated, time and time again, that I have nothing against Atheism in and of it's self and I can understand why someone would want to be an Atheist. There are a few Atheist, like Roxolan, Agnosticsoldier etc whom I respect and a few others. I am not trying to convert anyone, nor do I believe that my believes are the only correct believes.

However, there is a big difference between a disbelief in God and an absolute resentment and hatred towards any belief in any God. Yes, I can understand being against fundamentalism, and hey, I hate fundamentalism too, but to be against all religion, even if it is not hurting anyone and is not pushed on anyone is another thing entirely. One can be a Atheist and not an anti-theist.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
On the other hand, if someone always tries to shut others up on a public forum by saying "why the hell people with different opinions are still here?", that does indicate something about that person: that person tends to be close-minded, brainwashed, religious, faith-oriented ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality