U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,744,422 times

Advertisements

You know, I do wish I could fine a message board somewhere on the web where Joseph Campbell comes up more then Richard Dawkins, ritual comes up more then evidence, and practice and less about doctrine. But no, there isn't, and this board is proof of that. Why? Because certain people who, by there own admition, have no inerest in religion or philosophy, feeled compelled to come on to a board marked off for "RELIGION AND PHILOSOPHY" and go on and on about "there is no gawwwwd" in a manner that would be better suited for a Emo kid's myspace page.

I mean, if you have no interest in religion, it's practices, it's beliefs, it's history, it's doctrines, how they are similar and how they aren't, then why ohh why come to this board in the first damn place? If all you want to do is bash the belief in God and proclaim loudly that you have no need for religion (what this board is dedicated to) in your life, then why not do it somewhere else?

You know, I took several classes in comparative religion at the university, and some of the students there were some of the most intelligent people I have ever met in this intellect-desert called "New Jersey". There, I met and actually got to talk to Hindues about Hinduism for the first time, and met my first in-the-flesh Sufi muslim. There were Christians, Jews, Hindues, Buddhist, Muslims, Deists, and even a couple of neo-pagans (two Wiccans and an Asatruan) all just talking about religion in complete respect and learning from one another. It was really nice. This board, on the other hand...

I mean, I was two years into a psychology degree when I quit college (money issues) and one of the few bright-sides I found about it was that at least I would not have to take those two biology lab classes that I dreaded. I have nothing remotely resembling the foggiest interest in hard sciences, especially ones that involve lab work. The thought of being in a biolab makes me want to half shower (looking at that...STUFF growing in a petri dish makes me want to vomit and bath) and half roll around in the dirt (in a lab, I feel like I am almost too clean)

I am not a hands on person in the least, would most likely break something (more like allot of things) in a lab and have the nasty habit of holding things in my mouth when ever I am working on something, which would be problematic in a labratory. When I studied religion class, I could just go to a local cafe, drink a chamomile tea, listen to ambient music on my headset and read The Avestan, the Bible, or some other book or text book, highlight and take notes, and that was that...lab would have been a completely different animal.

So, I hate the hard sciences and have no intrest in them and am quite happy without having to think about them in my day to day existince...BUT DO YOU SEE MY GOING TO THE SCIENCE BOARD TO TRASH THE SCIENCES? NO.

Same thing with sports: I can't stand them and at times feel like I am the only heterosexual man in America who does not like American football...althought, I have always been of the opinion that the fact that I do not enjoy watching "The Packers vs The Browns" and seeing the "tight end" and the "wide reciever" and cheering when a very large man in tight pants gets a "penetration in the end zone " would make me more heterosexual, and not less...

But any way, I hate sports...and yet, I have never been to the sports board and said "sports are dumb, I don't need sports and am happy without them" etc etc etc....

I mean, if you want to talk Atheism, why not just go to the board marked "Atheism"? If you have no real interest in religion, then why on Earth come to a religion board in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,902,204 times
Most of us are interested in religion simply because we were formerly religious. Pretty simple to understand. And then the rest of us probably have religious family and friends. Let's not forget that it is fun!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,990,485 times
So basically... you don't want to hear from anybody that might disagree with you?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,425,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
So basically... you don't want to hear from anybody that might disagree with you?
Bingo!

I have a keen interest in Religion and Philosophy.

Religion, because of the dogmatic and intractable believers that want to push their beliefs on me need to be debated and made to realize that the world does not necessarily agree with them.

Philosophy because it is the truer form of self realization.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,618,982 times
It is religion and philosophy. Not just religion. If you wanted to post on only religion why not post on the Christian board. I suspect the answer why you don't will be the same for both points of view.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You know, I do wish I could fine a message board somewhere on the web where Joseph Campbell comes up more then Richard Dawkins, ritual comes up more then evidence, and practice and less about doctrine. But no, there isn't, and this board is proof of that.
You certainly haven't looked very far for boards with comparative religious discussions. Google is your friend; there are a LOT of them out there. Are you just a quitter, or did you not even try looking? FYI this board is for Religion AND PHILOSOPHY. Or did you not read past the "Religion" part of the title?

If you hate it so much here, you aren't being forced to stay. If you don't like the conversation, then don't jump into it. Only pick the threads that you LIKE to comment upon and ignore the rest of them that you "hate". It's not rocket science. Oh wait, sorry...I forgot, you "hate" science...so...

...it's not rocket philosophy.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM

55,660 posts, read 74,604,692 times
they do have an interest in it. they hate it. they were once part of it and they cant get rid of what they learned, its really messing up their new life style.
its called core values. it was part of their old religious practice. the actual denomination they could care less about. when people dont follow their own core values they go nuts, that is what you are seeing on CDF.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they do have an interest in it. they hate it. they were once part of it and they cant get rid of what they learned, its really messing up their new life style.
its called core values. it was part of their old religious practice. the actual demonination they could care less about. when people dont follow their own core values they go nuts, that is what you are seeing on CDF.
It's not messing up anything. I threw off the chains of religion when I was eleven and haven't looked back, but I don't hate it. What I hate is when someone else tries to make me live by their morality, and as we all know, morality is subjective. The reason we discuss things here is simple: it's entertaining. Especially some of the freaky ideas people have. It's like looking at a car wreck when you pass...it's interesting.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,425,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its called core values. it was part of their old religious practice. the actual demonination they could care less about. when people dont follow their own core values they go nuts, that is what you are seeing on CDF.
Not certain whom it is that you are referring to, but for me it is not messing with my lifestyle, new or not. My core values came from my parents, religion notwithstanding, and I have no conflict.

I have stated my stance earlier in this thread.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,744,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post

No, I do not, which is why I so loved talking to Hindues, Jews and Muslims at the university, as I said.

It is just people who say "I DON'T NEED RELIGION IN MY LIFE" and feel some compelling need to say it on a board dedicated to religion that I do not understand.

I disagree with people who like sports, but do you see me going on the sports board and saying how much I disagree with their love of sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or