Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think perhaps a better example would be someone like Fidel Castro. Throughout the years he has exiled people from his country (to include his own sister), led bloody revolts to take over the country when Batista ran it, and although he hasn't mass murdered people he has dictated his country so that very little can be done for the people. My Dad went on a charity trip to Cuba that let him watch as over one thousand people had cornea transplants done. Although it was nice of Fidel to let this charity into the country his lack of humanitarian support for his own people has surely led many people to die.

However, there is a catch. Fidel has really started to lighten up on people and their religious faith. If I am not mistaken, he himself, is a christian. So, I ask, will I receive the same punishment as him in the end if God exists? The Christian answer would probably be not if he is a true christian. If he were a true christian than I would be going to hell and Fidel will smoke Cubans in heaven all he wants.
Fidel is not a Christian, He says he is but His actions show otherwise...

Matthew 7: 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
[quote=midnightbirdgirl;710704]
Quote:
Hitler was not Christian, you seem to have no clue what a Christian is... I can call myself anything I desire, but does that change what I am?? Of course not. The devil believes in Yeshua that does not make Him Christian, it is a fact Yeshua the Christ is God therefore Satan believes in Him because He is real. If you believe in me does that make you a follower? Hardly...I exist and therefore you believe in me. Has nothing to do with salvation, one how is saved (a Christian) is a follower of the biblical Messiah.
.......as I said. You can spin it all you like but it doesn't change the facts that Hitler was a Christian. Don't take my word for it.....do a little research on the subject.

Quote:
This World is far from perfect, but that is 100% man's doing, God gave us an ideal world, we ruined it. Would you rather we were all puppets? We all have free will, that is a gift from God, you can choose to evil or good, God forces nothing on anyone.
Look up the thread "Free Will" on this forum and read it.

Quote:
Again, you show your blatant ignorance by having not the faintest clue what a Christian is.
"Blatant ignorance"!.......and they have the audacity to ask for respect from us!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
Well, I am a Christian myself, more specifically a Mormon. It seems to me that many "mainstream" Christians have a lot of time to write up anti-mormon pamflets or tell me I'm not christian. So in that sense I could reword your topic title and say "Do mainstream Christians have a life?" but I do not because I know that it's not all of them that do that, that is a generalization. But one could ask the same question about Mormons, we send missionaries all over the place, as do Jehovas witnesses. But what made you want to set aside as much time as it took you to write that post about whether or not athiests have a life? one could very well ask where you get the time to write such posts. I have an idea, why don't we just each worry about our own matters and speak nicely to each other? just a thought.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
I don't know if people think that Mormons are not Christians. I do think they try to live by the Bible and are good people. I think the question regarding your religion has to do with going outside the Bible's teaching with the other book, the whole Joseph Smith as a prophet etc.
People may think that Mormans have been mislead and they should look to the Bible not man for guidance.
But I don't think people are trying to attack Mormons, they just have many questions.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I don't know if people think that Mormons are not Christians. I do think they try to live by the Bible and are good people. I think the question regarding your religion has to do with going outside the Bible's teaching with the other book, the whole Joseph Smith as a prophet etc.
People may think that Mormans have been mislead and they should look to the Bible not man for guidance.
But I don't think people are trying to attack Mormons, they just have many questions.
Well, that is the case with many people. But I think it a little excessive that there are people outside of General Conference, The Easter Pageant, and other mormon gatherings that will hold up hateful signs, hand out books and movies, and sometimes become agressive, just to tell us that our religion is not true and that we will go to hell if we persist. I mean, it's fine if they are just worried about us, but I personally would appriciate a little less of an in-your-face type of an approach to it. But this is a little off topic, all I was saying is that I don't think this topic is appropriate, all topics like this can acchive is making people mad.

I think that if we are worried about the athiests, then we should not attack them and say they have no life. If you think they should convert, show them kindness and they will know where to turn if they change thier mind. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 PM

89 posts, read 299,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
For a being that doesn't exist, you atheists sure have a lot of time to disprove his existence even more LOL

It's beyond my comprehension how some people here get online and post about something they don't believe in. Huh?
I don't believe in evolution, but I don't look forward coming online everyday and posting how much I don't believe in evolution LOL

Is this the highlight of your day? To come online and write about how something does not exist? LOL Or are you looking to find comfort and support from other non believers and convinced yourself that God does not exist so you can feel better and elimante any fears that you may have. I understand what you feel. For the past year I have been trying to convinced myself to move out of Miami by telling other people all the negatives of living in Miami. I find comfort when other people agree with me, thus they are confirming my believe that I should move and that makes me feel better. The truth is that I love Miami (I know I'm nuts) and it is very difficult to move from here. Atheists do not exist. Deep down inside they all feel that there is a slight chance, at the very least, that a Supreme Being does exist so they try to find comfort among each other. Why else would anyone debate something that doesn't exist? LOL

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !
Making Atheists feel stupid? That's a friendly tactic.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,108 times
Quote:
They don't argue and admonish? Have you read through some of these posts. . .
You seem to be fairly argumentative and admonishing (toward "non-believers") in your own posts, as well. Maybe you should evaluate your own actions, before you comment negatively regarding the actions of others.

Quote:
The few atheist I actually know personally have often made statements to me such as; "Will I ever be happy?" and "Is this all there is to life?"
What's your point? Are you claiming that since "a few" atheists have posed such questions to you, ALL atheists must be unhappy with their lives?

Have you never heard such queries uttered from the mouths of Christians (or those of any other religion, for that matter)? I have...

Quote:
The ones I know are anything but truly happy and content.
Again, what's your point? Are you trying to promote that ALL atheists are unhappy with their lives and their choices, because you feel that the "ones you know" are unhappy?

If that's not what you're trying to advocate, what is your purpose in mentioning that the few atheists you know do not seem to be happy?

Quote:
The Bible states that humans have a longing to know God, and if they don't they will feel something is missing. This is part of the human condition. So yes, they have lives and may be educated, and successful and good people. But if you believe the Bible they will feel a void.
This statement is invalid. Maybe Bible-believers think that atheists will feel a void, but atheists feel no such void, because they don't believe in what the Bible says. So, essentially, no one will feel a void, and the void that believers think non-believers will feel, does not exist.

1. Believers don't feel a void because they "know God," which, as you mentioned, is a Bible-believer requirement for not feeling said void.

2. Atheists don't feel a void because they don't believe what is written in the Bible, which was your requirement for feeling said void.

If you can wrap your head around that, it's something to think about...

Last edited by AOYAS; 05-15-2007 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
Yeah, Atheists have afterlives, unfortunately it involves an eternity in Hell.

Very sad, but so true!
Yikes. I can't come up with a response to this statement that would be appropriate for this forum. The word "fanatical" comes to mind...as do "intolerant" and "misanthropic."

Sure do feel sorry for all of you who believe in "Hell." It would really suck to spend your life being afraid of ending up in a place like that. Glad I don't have to worry about it.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 PM

74 posts, read 234,551 times
[quote=pladecalvo;710732][quote=midnightbirdgirl;710704].......as I said. You can spin it all you like but it doesn't change the facts that Hitler was a Christian. Don't take my word for it.....do a little research on the subject.

What kind of Christian was Hitler when he ordered the SS to destroy all the Christian churchs they found as they invaded France? One town is famous for the German SS put all the towns folk in the Church and burned the church down on them. Its a shrine today dedicated to those that died there. As the war turned, German Vermacht (regular Army) surendered by the droves, not the SS cause they feared retribution for what they did. Jez man, this was on history channel not long ago, with footage!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
Atheists do not exist. Deep down inside they all feel that there is a slight chance, at the very least, that a Supreme Being does exist so they try to find comfort among each other. Why else would anyone debate something that doesn't exist?
I'm what you would call an agnostic, which means that I believe that the existence of God is *unknown*, and my knowledge of such a God is limited to my human experience.

Atheists, on the other hand, *deny* the existence of God altogether.

Your above-quoted comment refers to agnostics, not atheists. Atheists, by definition, do not believe in even a slight possibility of the existence of God.

And I assure you that atheists do, in fact, exist. I know of many...a few of whom are very prominent members of our national community. You most likely know at least a couple atheists, as well, even if you don't realize it. Your comment is completely erroneous, nonsensical, and invalid.

Although I am not part of the group (atheists) that you target in your post, since my belief system is similar to that of some atheists, I'd like to assert that I do not feel the need to find comfort in other agnostics' (or atheists') kindred beliefs. I am quite happy believeing what I believe, without feeling it necessary to have my own personal beliefs validated by hearing others' similar beliefs. In fact, I believe that agnostics and atheists are more inclined to decide for themselves, without feeling the need to have their beliefs validated by others with similar beliefs. Agnostics and atheists "go against the grain" of society naturally, so to speak, since there are far fewer agnostics and atheists than Christians, Jews, Mulims, etc. Many Christians, on the other hand, seem to believe certain aspects of their religion simply because someone or something (ie Bible, priest, parents, etc) told them to believe as such. It seems as though many Christians are literally born into the religion, and merely follow the group ideology throughout the rest of their lives, without a second thought, once they are mature enough to make such decisions, as to whether or not they truly believe the religion they've been following their whole life. Seems as though they're more prone to seek "comfort among each other" than those free-thinking atheists.

I often wonder if a fanatical Christian individual had been born into a Jewish family instead of a Christian one, if he would be just as fanatical about the Jewish religion, instead. I was born to a Jewish father and Catholic mother. They had the presence of mind to expose me to both religions and let me choose for myself whether or not I wanted to follow either religion. After learning about multiple religions, I decided that I do not truly believe in any organized religion, since I don't feel that any religion has been proven to be 100% correct, beyond a shadow of a doubt. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, most religions seem to be largely fabricated and a little impractical, to say the least. I don't care if you don't agree with me, because this is how I feel. <----See? This is me not seeking comfort and validation from others.

That being said, I truly enjoy "debating" the existence/non-existence of God with others of all faiths, because I find it to be an enlightening experience. I do not pretend that I am all-knowing or that what I believe is the only "correct" belief, while everyone else who believes differently is wrong. My belief system is correct FOR ME, and I am content with that. But, I like learning what others believe is correct, as well...

Last edited by AOYAS; 05-15-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality