Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times

Advertisements

If you look at the various religions around the world, particularly Christianity and Islam, it appears to me that man has placed himself upon a kind of pedestal in which he is the custodian of planet Earth and only God is above him. These religious beliefs also put forth the concept that man is a special creation and is at the center of an ongoing battle between good and evil or God and satan. This seems to indicate the human beings are quite important in the overall scheme of things and in fact if we didn't exist God and satan wouldn't even have anything to fight about in the first place.
Have any of you ever considered the possibility that all of the religious literature and belief systems that have ever existed are merely the manifestations of a very egotistical and self centered group of primates known as human beings? There are a number of reasons to believe that this is an accurate description of ourselves. First of all there is no evidence whatsoever that any supernatural entities like God and satan even exist. The mental and emotional qualities that human beings exhibit seem to be very similar to descriptions of God. That would include such things as jealousy, anger, and revenge as well as kindness, mercy and love.
If religion was in fact a man made fantasy that greatly exaggerated the importance of our own existence don't you think that religious beliefs and our own egos would resemble what we know as Christianity, Islam, and probably a few others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,272,393 times
Can you name one society that did not have some form of religion or superior being? I really don't think one exist. "If there were no God man would create one to explain the unexplainable" --- Me

Old 10-25-2009, 06:09 AM

168 posts, read 377,637 times
I think its a little more to that. Science itself is starting to lean in the direction of a divine creator with intelligence. I guess that maybe god decided to show himself to us because maybe we can reason and think better then any animal on this planet? DUHHHHHHHHHHHH

I guess eome people have too much time on their hands looooooooooooooool

Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
wallstreeterww wrote:
Quote:
Science itself is starting to lean in the direction of a divine creator with intelligence. I guess that maybe god decided to show himself to us because maybe we can reason and think better then any animal on this planet? DUHHHHHHHHHHHH
I don't know where you're getting information that science is beginning to discover that God is real but if you can find a link that supports this from a credible source I'd like to see it.
Your second statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense because God is supposed to have created mankind at the top of the food chain in the first place. The Bible doesn't suggest that God just happened to discover the earth and saw that man was the brightest creature on the planet so he decided to show himself to us as opposed to the other animals. So DUHHHHHH yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality