Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,480 times

Advertisements

This song make your soul come alive. What is the purpose of sentient thought without a Greater Being? We would be better off just a non-thinking animal rather than thinking if all there was to life is eating another living being to survive over and over and over again. Our minds are a special gift from something for some reason. Not just to outwit other living creatures for dinner.

YouTube - Chris Botti & Sting - If I Ever Lose my Faith in You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM

23 posts, read 48,017 times
Just because we have the capability to create a supreme being doesn't mean that there is one. If by any means of natural selection or evolution that a dog or any other animal has a brain with the capacity like ours, would they create their own supreme being just because they can think of one.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
Just because we have the capability to create a supreme being doesn't mean that there is one. If by any means of natural selection or evolution that a dog or any other animal has a brain with the capacity like ours, would they create their own supreme being just because they can think of one.

Kind of like War. Just because we can make one happen, it really does not exist.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Kind of like War. Just because we can make one happen, it really does not exist.

That is the silliest comparision I've ever heard.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
The believers don't think very much about life, do they? Religion provides all answers to everything!! Without proof of anything. So there isn't much to think about. Just consume (eat other animals) and wait until the glorious day when this life ends and all goody-two-shoes will go to heaven for eternal bliss.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
This song make your soul come alive.
Listened to it. Still don't have a soul, since it's an imaginary construct. Still really happy without one.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
This is something that I find to be a radical short coming of religion. Not all religious people do this, but ones like the OP make life out to be ugly and meaningless. OP, why do you need a god belief to make life purposeful? Why do you need someone else to dictate your purpose in life, what you believe and how you act?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 PM

What is the purpose of sentient thought? The oringal beliefs of heaven is the milky way that the ancients could see in the night sky. The angels where oringally the brightest stars. Why did the ancients need the universe to be something we know now it is not. The reason is the unknown. Without sentient thought we would be just another animal that hunts to survive. Why did sentient thought form in the first place. Why did humans begin to wonder why we exist, and where we go after death. Why did humans begin burying their dead. We have the capability to grasp why. So why is it so wrong to wonder what made everything. Why fear the thoughts of ones own mind. There is no god is a reaction of the mind of a person that is not willing to think beyond the parameters of the known world. We would still be neanderthal spear chunking and fire cooking idiots otherwise. Eventhough with all of our technological advances, we still wonder just like our ancient ancestors why and where do we come from and go to after death. There are not proven answers for anything. Whether you believe in a greater being or not. I think I will look up at the milky way in a dark night sky, and wonder why am I here seeing the beauty and what is its purpose. Life with out the wonder is really pointless as a sentient creature. Structured relegions are just a form of control over other people. The wonder that created the relegions in the first place is what makes us a sentient creature. So if you can not fathom the wonder of why we wonder I feel sorry for you. Some people like to embrace the wonder of life, and others find it easier to live inside of the turtle shell of disbelief of there own mind, and why it wants to wonder about everything.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is something that I find to be a radical short coming of religion. Not all religious people do this, but ones like the OP make life out to be ugly and meaningless. OP, why do you need a god belief to make life purposeful? Why do you need someone else to dictate your purpose in life, what you believe and how you act?
In my case because I'm not omniscient or omnipotent. Any purpose I create solely for myself is completely artificial and subjective. I may create a "good purpose" by that, but it's not implausible I could just as easily create a negative one. Or one that's simply about pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain regardless of the cost.

God provides the idea of an inherent meaning and a standard. Also it makes the Universe less empty and devoid of gratitude. As Chesterton stated "To an the universe is 'the most exquisite masterpiece ever constructed by nobody.'" To a Christian there is an artist and there is a connection to something beyond the human. Often times atheists seem to think it's easy to sacrifice that based on a few reported contradictions in the Bible or your authority as "really really smart people" who know better.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 AM

23 posts, read 48,017 times
"God is dead" - Nietzsche

Since he found that taking god out of civilization will eventualy lead to Nihilism and thus not allowing a way to reconcile 'sin' (Similar to what Ivan, the atheist, says in Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov when discussing morality without a god, "everything is permitted"), he coined to term "Ubermensch" to overcome that. Although it's not defined, I see it as existentialism - since nothing is to tell you how to live, etc. - you make your own purpose and maximize pleasure without doing harm.

The point you made is similar to something Einstein said about being so overwhelmed at the complexity and the beauty of the universe. I believe out of natural selection we eventually became more and more intelligent. I personally live as though there is no objective meaning or purpose, I take everything as it is now and make my own meaning - existentialism (this is not to say that I am not open to the possibility of a higher being).

Last edited by sardone; 10-27-2009 at 01:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality