Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered if it was real or a hoax
I would really like it to be wouldn't that give a kick in the pants
to those who say he isn't so?

Is it a hoax or the real deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
I think the general concensus amongst those that have studied it is that it is a fake from about the 15th century.....a time when the production of religious relics was big business. Experts say that there are enough bones from the bodies of saints in existence for them to have had 4 bodies each and there are enough 'splinters of the cross' around to replace the Amazon rain forest.

As far I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it's blood or paint on the cloth. It doesn't matter if it could be dated to the 1st century CE. It doesn't matter if it could be proved to have originated in the region where JC walked (allegedly). It still wouldn't prove that it was what the Church says it is. All it would prove is that it was a burial cloth of a man who died a seemingly violent death in the first century CE.

After all, it's not as if JC was the only person in history that was crucified. Crucifixion was a common form of execution under the Roman occupation of Palastine. Historical record show that thousands of people were executed in this way...even down to having a crown of spikes placed on their heads.

It's a fake IMO, just like the recent discovery that the 'holy bones' of Joan of Arc turned out to be those of a cat.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:19 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
It is a hoax but it's a first rate hoax. (I hope I don't get a kick in the pants ) There's a number of questionable things about the history of the Shroud of Turin. It suddenly appeared a few hundred years ago and people at the time believed it to be a hoax because it's origins were completely unknown and people have been hoaxing religious artifacts for a very long time. If I had all of the pieces of the true cross that various churches claim to be authentic I could probably build a house. What finally did in the Shroud of Turin was the dating. It was tested by several independent labs and they all came back with a time frame that matched the time it first became known to the public. When you consider the technical mastery of artists in that time it's not surprising that someone could pull this off.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:30 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
One thing about the shroud that always makes me smile. Have you ever noticed how the hands of the person in the image are placed strategically over 'the naughty bits'?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
One thing about the shroud that always makes me smile. Have you ever noticed how the hands of the person in the image are placed strategically over 'the naughty bits'?
Excellent point. I thought the very same thing myself. If it was authentic would a corpse try display himself in a manner that's acceptable for prime time viewing?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM

ok then lets add to it

What about the Ark of the Covenant being held sacredly in a small temple in Ethiopia?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
ok then lets add to it

What about the Ark of the Covenant being held sacredly in a small temple in Ethiopia?

As far as the Ark is concerned I thought it was sitting in a warehouse after Indiana Jones recovered it from the Nazi's. No, I'm only kidding.

I believe there are such things as artifacts that are named in the Bible. As to whether or not they have the mystical powers associated with them, I find that far less believable. If Jesus really did exist, I don't see why the story of the Holy Grail would be untrue. Ok, so his mother caught his blood in the cup, and the rest is history. I don't see anything wrong with that. If there is an Ark, well then that's great but all you've proven to me is that Jesus existed, not that he was the son of god.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
As far as the Ark is concerned I thought it was sitting in a warehouse after Indiana Jones recovered it from the Nazi's. No, I'm only kidding.

I believe there are such things as artifacts that are named in the Bible. As to whether or not they have the mystical powers associated with them, I find that far less believable. If Jesus really did exist, I don't see why the story of the Holy Grail would be untrue. Ok, so his mother caught his blood in the cup, and the rest is history. I don't see anything wrong with that. If there is an Ark, well then that's great but all you've proven to me is that Jesus existed, not that he was the son of god.
baby steps troop baby steps lol

you know I am joking
I am not in the conversion business

Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I'll bet you've seen that same documentary on one of the education channels that suggests that possibility. I'd say it's doubtful but possible. Of course they won't let anybody get in to take a look and we can't exactly storm the place with troops now can we? That English guy who proposes this idea has quite a few controversial thoughts. This is actually one of his more realistic ones. He goes off the deep end with some of his concepts about Egypt and the pyramids but it's interesting to watch. The Ark of the Covenant was quite likely an actual object so it's conceivable that it could still be laying around somewhere but it's more likely that it was destroyed at some point in history. I don't believe it has any magic powers of course but it is a genuine interest to historians and researchers.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
It may well be a shroud, but not Jesus shroud. God wanted us to have faith that his son came to earth, not shrouds, pictures, holy grails, or such nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality