Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Again, it does not come close to my original statement: A religion cannot be judged on the Emprical Evidence, but rather on the experience of the individual. Hence, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a straw man because no individual has had their own life changed dramatically by accepting it's "teachings", unlike any other religion.

Also, once again, someone goes in "Greek Myths, the stories aren't true, etc etc etc..." again, I am not a literalist, and neither are many, MANY other people who are religious. Of course their are similarities between the two: thay are all Myths, and Myths have common motifis. A understanding that the Myth is not litterally true does not equal a lack of religious faith in many people, myself being on of them.
Point is, if they have " personal experiences" due to the teachings of religion, that does not make that religion true or real. A warm and fuzzy doesn't equate truth. And yes it can be judged on Empirical Evidence, especially when people push the beliefs on others and it is such a large part of our society, it can even dictate what we can and can not do or say. If it was widely recognized by the followers as a myth people such as myself would have no issue. It is when it is presented as fact we have issue. I realize you are not a literalist and believe religion is good for you, that's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I see your favorite catch phrase these days is "Emo kid"...What's up with that?

There is just something about so many of these whining critics of religion that makes me think of a kid in tight pants with makeup on his face typing away before his parents get home while "My Chemical Romance" plays in the background.

Quote:
As a Pastafarian I believe my God is as valid as any other....May you be touched by His noodley appendage.
Then please explain how this truly enriched your life and has a Mythological text that follows the classical motifs (see "The Heroes Journey" by Campbell)

Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Hence, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a straw man because no individual has had their own life changed dramatically by accepting it's "teachings", unlike any other religion.
YET!! YET is a very important word to have left out of that sentence.

Ok, did you ever see the classic Star Trek episode where the crew finds a group of humans who had apparently been stranded on a planet, and who had reverted back to, well, a dumber existence? They had one guy who was still capable of reading. Their bible was an old copy of the Declaration of Independence, or the Constitution or some such. Or a South Park (one of only 2 episodes I've ever watched, I swear) episode where one of the guys gets frozen and wakes up in a future where everyone worships Dawkins and science. That is exactly the point I am trying to make. ANYTHING can become a religion given enough time.

Quote:
It started from Myths that (allegorically) tell timeless truths about the human condition as well as a way of explaining the world around them....how the heck could the "Flying Spaghetti monster" do those things? It doesn't.
You do know there is now a "Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", right? I haven't read it, but I wouldn't assume that your statement is still correct.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Point is, if they have " personal experiences" due to the teachings of religion, that does not make that religion true or real.
On an individual by individual basis, it does.

Quote:
A warm and fuzzy doesn't equate truth.
It is an individual truth on an individual by individual basis.

Quote:
And yes it can be judged on Empirical Evidence, especially when people push the beliefs on others and it is such a large part of our society, it can even dictate what we can and can not do or say.
That is the philosophy of Empiricism, not Existentialism. If one looks at things from an Existential point of view, Empiricial evidence takes a back seat to individual happiness. Also, not all religious beliefs are pushed on others.

Quote:
If it was widely recognized by the followers as a myth people such as myself would have no issue. It is when it is presented as fact we have issue. I realize you are not a literalist and believe religion is good for you, that's cool.

That is the point. It is one thing to attack fundamentalism and religion in schools, where it does not belong, and another to attack religion as a whole and everyone who practices it, including religions (like Jainism, Gnosticism etc) that have never had a fundamentalist wing.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
If someone chooses to believe in this "flying spaghetti monster", who am I to tell them that their belief is wrong? How does their belief have any affect on MY personal life? It doesn't.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
On an individual by individual basis, it does.

It is an individual truth on an individual by individual basis.

That is the philosophy of Empiricism, not Existentialism. If one looks at things from an Existential point of view, Empiricial evidence takes a back seat to individual happiness. Also, not all religious beliefs are pushed on others.

That is the point. It is one thing to attack fundamentalism and religion in schools, where it does not belong, and another to attack religion as a whole and everyone who practices it, including religions (like Jainism, Gnosticism etc) that have never had a fundamentalist wing.
Neither of these definitions matches with yours.
Truth: Conformity to fact or actuality.
A statement proven to be or accepted as true.

It is not there truth, it is their belief. Which is fine. I actually have never attacked anothers religion, unless it was pushed. And on this forum, what irritates me is when people state it as fact or truth and state that we are sinners and going to hell

Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
YET!! YET is a very important word to have left out of that sentence.

Again, it does not have a classical Myth and does not exist as true religious movement, and the "yet" part only makes it less valid. Unlike zoroastrianism, which started with Zarathustra and a hand full of his disciples and slowly grew to what it was at it's height, it does not have any real teachers spreading a real message.

Quote:
Ok, did you ever see the classic Star Trek episode where the crew finds a group of humans who had apparently been stranded on a planet, and who had reverted back to, well, a dumber existence? They had one guy who was still capable of reading. Their bible was an old copy of the Declaration of Independence, or the Constitution or some such. Or a South Park (one of only 2 episodes I've ever watched, I swear) episode where one of the guys gets frozen and wakes up in a future where everyone worships Dawkins and science. That is exactly the point I am trying to make. ANYTHING can become a religion given enough time.
That is not a "point" which is supported by the study of religion (comparative religion) or human society (Anthropology). IF you were to say that something like a Cargo Cult could start up, with people worshipping "ancient titans" like Obama and Britney Spears, then you might have a point, however, to say that today's religions started as cargo cults must imply that there was some advanced civilization that pre-dated the classical world.

Quote:
You do know there is now a "Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", right? I haven't read it, but I wouldn't assume that your statement is still correct.
That is a non-fiction book which is an attack on religion, not a Mythology.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Neither of these definitions matches with yours.
Truth: Conformity to fact or actuality.
A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
"Truth" can also be a very subjective term.."Herold's Makes the best Pastrami sandwich on the East Coast". Is that a statement of truth or is it false? It is Subjective (well, in actuallity they do make the best Pastrami in the world, but anyway...) Just as religion is subjective to the person practicing it.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Hey I'm the "emo kid"

I agree, lets add up all the empirical evidence... oh that's right there is none

You fail and understanding what a straw man argument is. FSM is not a misrepresentation of the type of belief theistic religious people have.
Nope, I know very well what a straw-man argument happens to be. I think you're mistaking me for someone else.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
"Truth" can also be a very subjective term.."Herold's Makes the best Pastrami sandwich on the East Coast". Is that a statement of truth or is it false? It is Subjective (well, in actuallity they do make the best Pastrami in the world, but anyway...) Just as religion is subjective to the person practicing it.
Not truth but Opinion.
And now I am hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality