U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer1965usa View Post
I went to Shadow Lake's 10:45 service yesterday. Wasn't impresssed at all. Seems to be a "rock and roll" church, and it reminded me a lot of Brookside.

I hate to say it, but I've bounced around churches in Omaha just becase I was having difficulty finding one that seemed to have its head screwed on straight. I was at Christ Community for several years until Mark Ashton waltzed into town, decided to clean house (not by getting rid of staff, but by completely shaking up the way that it approached Sunday morning adult Bible studies) and become prioritized with re-making CCC into the image of Willow Creek rather than into the image of Jesus Christ. After Ashton and his cohorts axed the singles ministry that I had been a part of, I went over to Trinity and settled in for what I thought was going to be the long haul -- even weathering the stormy in-fighting that drained 1/3 of the membership in fall of '07. But then I found out about their support of Todd Bentley, Mike Bickle, the whole IHOP thing, and it was off to find another church YET AGAIN.

I can gladly say that, for most of this year, I've been attending Evangelical Bible Chrurch (on 78th & Fort), and it, along with Omaha Bible Church, seems to be a place that is VERY sound theologically. I only went to Shadow Lake yesterday because of its close proximity to where I live, but I am pretty sure now that I'll be staying at EBC for a good long while.
If you live close to Shadow Lake but want the style of either EBC or the old-CCC then might want to check out Overland Hills. I put Overland in the same vein as old-CCC, not Willow Creek.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:08 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,515,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Interesting. Thanks.

It's odd though. Their website really doesn't say much of anything.

I also wonder if Ben has any formal theological training and/or education.
I haven't listened to any of the sermons...but I'll say one thing that looks good about Acts 2 church....they seem to be preaching their way through Nehemiah. I like the idea of a church that actually preaches from the Bible. It's not that common nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer1965usa View Post
I can gladly say that, for most of this year, I've been attending Evangelical Bible Chrurch (on 78th & Fort), and it, along with Omaha Bible Church, seems to be a place that is VERY sound theologically. I only went to Shadow Lake yesterday because of its close proximity to where I live, but I am pretty sure now that I'll be staying at EBC for a good long while.
I wouldn't mind meeting you and introducing myself some Sunday morning. My wife, 2 daughters and I have been members at EBC for a little over a year now. We have grown to appreciate Pastor Don quite a bit, and appreciate the fact that he doesn't water things down. If you see a big dopey looking guy with a red goatee sitting by a woman and 2 little girl, or if you see me handing out bulletins one of these weeks by the door say hi. We usually go to the 10:30 service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So it's not called a church, but "Flatland Group." And they don't have pastors, they have "Life Coaches."

Weird.
Not sure what to say about the "life coach" thing...but when we were church shopping about 18 months ago I emailed Flatland Church to ask why they changed their name. Their secretary returned my email, and told me that they have a record label by the same name...so to be consistent they changed the name.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,989,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Not sure what to say about the "life coach" thing...but when we were church shopping about 18 months ago I emailed Flatland Church to ask why they changed their name. Their secretary returned my email, and told me that they have a record label by the same name...so to be consistent they changed the name.

Flatland Church has a record label?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Flatland Church has a record label?

I know nothing about their label, nothing about the music....but a quick google search revealed this:

Flatland Music Group | mevio

Like I said...I was church-shopping about 18 months ago and we didn't end up at that church. I did listen to some sermon podcasts and wasn't particularly impressed. I'll hesitate to say if they're a bad church or not...I did not personally check them out deeper than that.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,488 times
Trinity Church 156th & Dodge. I look forward to church when I attend Trinity. People are loving, accepting, and wonderful.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdekay View Post
Trinity Church 156th & Dodge. I look forward to church when I attend Trinity. People are loving, accepting, and wonderful.
Curious, what's been going on there the last couple of years - haven't they had like two to three big splits?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdekay View Post
I look forward to church when I attend Trinity. People are loving, accepting, and wonderful.
most churches in Omaha area are loving, accepting, and wonderful, whether they be conservative or liberal

but I have a question or several for you kdekay:

does Trinity Church of Omaha Nebraska believe in using discernment

and do they believe in not promoting known false teachers

cause Todd Bentley and Brian McLaren

have all promoted by Trinity church of Omaha Nebraska

as have others in either sermons or in their Recommended Resources section of their church's website

do you feel Les Beauchamp and Trinity church promoting false teachers such as Todd Bentley and Brian McLaren

has done spirtual harm to the leaders and members of Trinity church.

also do you feel that trinity church being associated with the seeker-promoting

Willow Creek Association hurts Trinity Church's credibility as a church cause a lot of the

Willow Creek Association churches in the Omaha have dumbed down the

preaching and gone seeker-driven in the name of church-growth and being a "successful" church

I have nothing against trinity church, But I would like to hear and others explain to why promoting false teachers like Bentley and McLaren

helps christians grow spirtually.

what prophecy is happening before our eyes? (read 1 Timothy 4:1 and 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Curious, what's been going on there the last couple of years - haven't they had like two to three big splits?
they have.

http://onewayfilms.proboards.com/ind...ws&thread=7134

has the article from 2008 on this

I know several new churches in Omaha have gotten created as a result of Trinity church's split.

Waypointe I believe was one of them.

I am actually saddened at what has happened to Trinity and Westside cause they were both good churches at one time.

when they both thought of going seeker-driven and bowing at the alter of the

Willow Creek Association (which is a national church network runned by Bill Hybels church in Chicago

and when Trinity and Westside decided to promote questionable or known false teachers

that is when their troubles began.

also both churches obsession with moving out to 192nd street I believe caused another problem for them both cause a lot of their people I know are against the move out west.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 08-07-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM

I've listened to a few of the sermons from the Acts 2 church. It appears to be a recent church plant. I'll give it to them that they are apparently trying to teach scripture verse by verse...paragraph by paragraph.

My only complaint though, is that they don't appear to be going all that deep. It appears that he reads the passage...then kind of tells a story or talks about it, without going real deep into the theology of what the scripture says. Maybe he'll get deeper as he goes on...the pastor sounds like he's probably fairly young and starting out. I'll reserve further judgment on it, as I just haven't heard that much of it.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Default kd...

the pastor Ben Norvig is only a couple years older than me (I am 29 BTW)

I too am glad he is trying to teach scripture verse by verse...paragraph by paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality