Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

It took me a minute....but the pastor at the Calvary Chapel West appears to be one Todd Doxson who graduated from Millard North, went to Iowa State and played in the NFL for a few years. He was a pretty decent option QB. Unfortunately, the current trend of the "Wildcat" offenses weren't popular when he was playing.

Interesting. Good on him.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 AM

21 posts, read 51,457 times
Billiefan2000- I just found this thread, and I must say, for someone who asked in the first post about the Churches in Omaha, you seem to be the most knowlegeable one about them here. I find you to be condesending about others opinions, and you seem to have a tendency to bring up controversal churches and/or Pastors in almost everyone of your posts. I've read through this entire thing twice, and I have to ask, do you really want a church or do you want to sit here and preach at others 24/7? If you haven't found a church by now, you might try stepping away from the keyboard and opening your heart and let God lead you to where He wants you to be. You warn people about the need for heavy discernment before they even set foot in a church. Why not let them decide for themselves without going in with your opinions on their hearts? Let others decide where, how and why they want to Worship. I know this most likely sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. Anyone reading this thread would almost have to believe there are no good churches in the entire city. There are strengths and weaknesses in each and every church in the entire world. If you can do it better, go to seminary school and open up one that you would consider perfect. I have gone to CCC for 8 years. When Pastor Bob left CCC after 22 years as the lead Pastor, of course things changed with the new Pastor. But Pastor Thune left to go become the Pastor of a church in dire trouble in California. His children are here, his grandchildren are here, but God told him that he was to go where he was needed. What a leap of faith that was. God would not send our Pastor off to heal another church and send us a Pastor to break ours. Mark Ashton isn't Bob Thune, but we never expected him to be. He is ministering in the way God leads him to. Yes, we have had changes to adjust to..big deal, God is still God anyway! I still have the most amazing relationship with the Lord, and it grows everyday, so Pastor Mark must be doing something right. The world is changing so fast, many believe we are in the last days, myself included. One of the gifts of the spirit I was given is the gift of discernment. Perhaps that's why your comments bother me. If anyone looking for a spirit filled church is put off by the mega church image, I would be more than happy to meet people at CCC and introduce them to my friends. We welcome new people. Not for the number's game either. I apologize if I've offended anyone. That was not my intention. There will be many false prophets in the last days, so please, let people use their OWN discernment as to who is good or bad and what is or isn't sound doctrine. My offer stands, if anyone would like to attend my church some Sunday, to test the waters so to speak, post here and I'd love to have you join me there. I attend at 108th & Old Mill.
Blessings to all, ><>
Laurie

Last edited by HappyAtCCC; 10-10-2009 at 12:33 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,524,257 times
I agree laurie

there are good and bad churches in omaha

but there are churches in omaha that are promoting false teachiers like the emergents

and involved in things like contemplative prayer and the word of faith

I believe there is a many good churches in omaha

but I think there needs to be a discussion on some of the folks or stuff being promoted in some area churches

my problem is with some local churches promoting folks like Richard Foster and Dallas willard (new agers) and Rob Bell

BTW:

you said:

about the need for heavy discernment before they even set foot in a church.

my comment: I am saying to use discernment but not go overboard into legalism or going psycho

I am just saying there is some weird stuff being taught in some churches here and there needs to be some questions asked.

there are many good churches here like the bible churches and the WELS churches and many baptist and some presbyterian and interdenom. and penecostal and COC

there is even some churches that I may have small disagreements with that are good.

I go to a good church regularly and sometimes I have to travel around town on sundays (various reasons) and I go to other churches

I agree with you laurie

There will be many false prophets in the last days, so please, let people use their OWN discernment as to who is good or bad and what is or isn't sound doctrine.

BTW:

I have some respect for Mark Ashton. I have respect for him for his sermons on Mormonism and Oprah and other things

I have respect for Beauchamp for being pro-life and some of his sermons I have liked

there have been things I have agreed with Bob Thune on and things I have disagreed with him on.

I believe many of the pastors here in the Omaha area mean well, I am not judging their hearts.

my issue is with some pastors here pushing folks who are known to be pushing new-age or universalism like teachings

the thing is: we have the prosperity gospel and contemplative prayer and some other weird stuff being pushed in some churches here

and many in our churches arent using discernment and doing research and raising questions

like saying "wait a minute" something is funny about this teaching

I would like to see christians here do research on what contemplative prayer

and the prosperity gospel is

and what folks like Rob Bell is pushing.

(articles on Rob Bell

http://www.crosstalkblog.com/2009/10...ob-bell-loves/

I am not a mean person. just a humble well-meaning person who is a bit troubled by some things being taught in some omaha area churches

Last edited by billiefan2000; 10-11-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM

34 posts, read 108,932 times
Southwest Church of Christ

Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 PM

21 posts, read 51,457 times
I understand your concerns Billiefan- I wish everyone would go to the kind of church I do, that being spirit filled. But it says in the Bible, there WILL be false teachers. To be false teachers, they need to fool people, and they will fool many in the last days. My concern is that this thread, the way I understand it, was supposed to be about finding a church in Omaha, not having a huge theological discussion about religion. Isn't there another thread or place to have that discussion? I'd participate in that. I think we should put the welcome mat out there for new residents to visit the churches we all attend, and according to their personal beliefs they will or won't accept each church as being a good fit. Just a thought.
Laurie ><>

Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
Laurie at CCC,

I've been reading/following this thread for a while now. Your original post to billiefan prompted me to actually create an account so I can write a comment to you.

Thank you. Your post expressed exactly my feelings every time I read one of billiefan's posts. I have gone to Trinity Church since its inception in 1975. I've seen many changes within our church as well as the city church here in Omaha. Certainly I don't agree with all that has transpired over the last 34 years, but God has never prompted me (or my wife) to leave Trinity. So we are exactly where God wants us, continuing to serve the body.

In regards to the original post, there are MANY 'good' churches in Omaha. There are ZERO perfect churches in Omaha. God utilizes imperfect people. We can point out perceived faults, questionable quotes, doctrinal conflicts, etc. for the next 500 years. Who wins? No one except the enemy of our souls.

If you're looking for a 'good' church, go see Laurie at Christ Community. Come see us at Trinity. Go to any number of other great churches in Omaha. Just GO and be open to what God tells you. If you do this, sooner or later you will find yourself directly in the center of His will and you can settle in at a great church....whichever one that might be.

Blessings.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

57 posts, read 134,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds_good View Post
Laurie at CCC,

I've been reading/following this thread for a while now. Your original post to billiefan prompted me to actually create an account so I can write a comment to you.

Thank you. Your post expressed exactly my feelings every time I read one of billiefan's posts. I have gone to Trinity Church since its inception in 1975. I've seen many changes within our church as well as the city church here in Omaha. Certainly I don't agree with all that has transpired over the last 34 years, but God has never prompted me (or my wife) to leave Trinity. So we are exactly where God wants us, continuing to serve the body.

In regards to the original post, there are MANY 'good' churches in Omaha. There are ZERO perfect churches in Omaha. God utilizes imperfect people. We can point out perceived faults, questionable quotes, doctrinal conflicts, etc. for the next 500 years. Who wins? No one except the enemy of our souls.

If you're looking for a 'good' church, go see Laurie at Christ Community. Come see us at Trinity. Go to any number of other great churches in Omaha. Just GO and be open to what God tells you. If you do this, sooner or later you will find yourself directly in the center of His will and you can settle in at a great church....whichever one that might be.

Blessings.

I felt the need to create an account to post on this one, too.

I used to attend CCC...I've attended Trinity. Both are shadows of what they were 10 years ago. They've really abandoned the idea of sound Biblical teaching straight out of the Bible and have instead focused on lightweight, seeker-oriented stuff. When you have the pastor dropping out of the ceiling Mission Impossible style, or are endorsing Todd Bentley....well, you've got your issues.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,609,207 times
Good to see I still am not missing anything by sleeping in on Sundays.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
I felt the need to create an account to post on this one, too.

I used to attend CCC...I've attended Trinity. Both are shadows of what they were 10 years ago.

They've really abandoned the idea of sound Biblical teaching straight out of the Bible and have instead focused on lightweight, seeker-oriented stuff.

When you have the pastor dropping out of the ceiling Mission Impossible style, or are endorsing Todd Bentley....well, you've got your issues.

I agree.

BTW:

there are good churches here in Omaha

the bible churches and those with the GARBC and many SBC

and some LCMS churches and even a couple ELCA churches

and many of the Independent churches are good here in omaha area

1 John 4:1

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets and false teachers have gone out into the world.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 10-15-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,779 times
Looks like Stonebridge has gone liberal....they've got a couple of women pastors on staff. They have always been somewhat shaky...but now they've thrown out any appearances of conservative Bible-emphasizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.