U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 14,071,832 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't speak for any church, and won't have my name tied to them. I do attend and am a member of an area church, but it's none of your business. My statements stand on their own and do not need the benefit of a degree or ordination behind my name.

As for me bashing churches? I haven't bashed anyone. I've pointed out the non-biblical practices of a few. I'm sorry if that bothers you.
What a crock! You've been bashing Stonebridge Christian Church because they don't - IN YOUR OPINION - do everything the way they're supposed to.

And frankly, you won't publicly say what church you attend is cowardice. It's because you KNOW it'll come under the same ridiculous scrutiny you've poured out on other churches.


Didn't your Jesus say something about, "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

 
Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,054,329 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What a crock! You've been bashing Stonebridge Christian Church because they don't - IN YOUR OPINION - do everything the way they're supposed to.

And frankly, you won't publicly say what church you attend is cowardice. It's because you KNOW it'll come under the same ridiculous scrutiny you've poured out on other churches.


Didn't your Jesus say something about, "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

Actually, you won't let it die. I made a couple statements about them, and didn't mention them again until you brought it up.

But I'll ask once more: Why doesn't "Husband of one wife" mean "Husband of one wife"?
 
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 14,071,832 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Actually, you won't let it die. I made a couple statements about them, and didn't mention them again until you brought it up.

But I'll ask once more: Why doesn't "Husband of one wife" mean "Husband of one wife"?
It does mean that. So what's your point?

Does it mean that a life-long bachelor cannot be an elder in a church? If not, why not?


Also, you have completely failed to provide any evidence that there were seminary trained, salaried pastors, with offices and job descriptions in New Testament times.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,054,329 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It does mean that. So what's your point?

Does it mean that a life-long bachelor cannot be an elder in a church? If not, why not?


Also, you have completely failed to provide any evidence that there were seminary trained, salaried pastors, with offices and job descriptions in New Testament times.

I would suggest that a man never married would lack some ability to relate. I personally would not want an elder/pastor that wasn't married. I'm not willing to stand on that though.

As for seminary trained, salaried pastors? No. There is no example in scripture...except for the Rabbinical system among the Jews. And Paul's statements regarding being able to earn a living off of his ministry. It's a natural outcome. It only makes sense that a leader of the church is able to serve better if he doesn't have to worry about income. If you don't want to pay your leaders, fine.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 14,071,832 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I would suggest that a man never married would lack some ability to relate. I personally would not want an elder/pastor that wasn't married. I'm not willing to stand on that though.

As for seminary trained, salaried pastors? No. There is no example in scripture...except for the Rabbinical system among the Jews. And Paul's statements regarding being able to earn a living off of his ministry. It's a natural outcome. It only makes sense that a leader of the church is able to serve better if he doesn't have to worry about income. If you don't want to pay your leaders, fine.
So no unmarried guy can be an elder. Okay... Do you also have age requirements attached to your expectation of an elder? Does he have to be at least 50? And what happens if he's married, but it's a miserable marriage? And how would you know? Is it okay for said elder to drink? How about smoking? Is that allowed? Are there certain jobs he can, or cannot, have?


If I remember correctly, the apostle Paul made a point of NOT taking any salary/wages from any of the people he "ministered" to.

Was he not a tent maker? And would this not indicate that "pastors" should not be receiving a salary/wage from the people they "minister" to? It would seem to me that the deck is stacked against your argument.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,219 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't speak for any church, and won't have my name tied to them. I do attend and am a member of an area church, but it's none of your business. My statements stand on their own and do not need the benefit of a degree or ordination behind my name.

As for me bashing churches? I haven't bashed anyone. I've pointed out the non-biblical practices of a few. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

In my opinnion, you have no right to point out any of YOUR "non-biblical practices" of any church until you decide to lay claim to, again, your church, which must be the church Jesus will return to since it does everything correctly. Don't talk about other people doing things wrong until you can lay claim to a church. Jesus talks about making sure that you can pull the log out of your own eye before you go trying to take the splinter out of someone elses. Remember that.

Now I want to ask you something else. Since you think scripture doesn't seem to have some cultural aspects to it, then let me ask you this. I noticed in some of your past posts you don't think that homosexuals should have any place in the church as a leader of any kind. Now in my opinnion, and I do have a degree from a Bible college, God calls sin a sin, so having homosexual relations would be the same as having premarital sexual relations for a heterosexual man correct? Now if that were the case then wouldn't it be rediculous to have almost any man period be a leader in the church? Especially if you accept the fact that God also said that even if you look at another woman with Lust then you have commited adultry in your heart?
 
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,054,329 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So no unmarried guy can be an elder. Okay... Do you also have age requirements attached to your expectation of an elder? Does he have to be at least 50? And what happens if he's married, but it's a miserable marriage? And how would you know? Is it okay for said elder to drink? How about smoking? Is that allowed? Are there certain jobs he can, or cannot, have?


If I remember correctly, the apostle Paul made a point of NOT taking any salary/wages from any of the people he "ministered" to.

Was he not a tent maker? And would this not indicate that "pastors" should not be receiving a salary/wage from the people they "minister" to? It would seem to me that the deck is stacked against your argument.
Biblical requirements for an elder are a man above reproach, mature in the faith. That might mean 50....or it could well mean much much younger. As for drinking and smoking? It's not addressed in the Bible, other than to tell Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach--and don't be a drunkard.

Paul was a tentmaker (some think it's actually a tanner), but his point was that even if he didn't work, he should be allowed to take income from his ministry.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,319 times
Reputation: 11
Does anyone know of a solid Bible Believing church in the Bellevue area?
 
Old 05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 14,071,832 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly6 View Post
Does anyone know of a solid Bible Believing church in the Bellevue area?
I've got some friends who go to Calvary Christian Church - on about 30th & Cornhusker Road. They really like it.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
2,915 posts, read 4,010,059 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've got some friends who go to Calvary Christian Church - on about 30th & Cornhusker Road. They really like it.
I been there a few times. it is a very good church

http://www.calvarychristianchurch.org/ is their website btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top