U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,272 times
Calvary Christian Church is a Willow Creek Church. I was looking for something that is not associatd with them but a very solid Bible believing church.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

8,294 posts, read 14,011,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly6 View Post
Calvary Christian Church is a Willow Creek Church. I was looking for something that is not associatd with them but a very solid Bible believing church.
In what way are they a Willow Creek Church? It's not even the same denomination.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 10,272 times
It is on the website as a Willow Creek church.
Willow Creek Association - Find A Church

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,326,579 times
Are there many Christian churches that don't claim to be a solid Bible believing church?

The reason there are so many churches to choose from is because they each have their own interpretation as to what the Bible says. If anyone tells you there is only one way to interpret the Bible, they are not living in reality. This is the fundamental reason why there are so many different types. Non-denominational is just another denomination.

There is only one truth, but God knows what we believe and why. I assume He knew in advance we would all have different versions of the truth.. He gives us all the means to get the heaven. You just have to figure out what you believe and find people that are heading down a similar path. Walking with others in the journey keeps you from straying.

If you tell us what you believe or where you were going before, and what you did or didn't agree with, maybe we can send you in the right direction.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,989,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
In what way are they a Willow Creek Church? It's not even the same denomination.
they are a willow creek association church but they arent as bad theology wise as Trinity or Christ Community or Brookside where they believe what is cool

is more important than sound doctrine

lists the omaha area nebraska churches that are part of Bill Hybels network

Beautiful Savior of La Vista, NE
Bellevue Christian Center Bellevue, NE
Brookside Church Omaha, NE
Calvary Christian Church Bellevue, NE

Christ Community Church Omaha, NE
Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church Omaha, NE
Dundee Presbyterian Church Omaha, NE
Eagles Nest Worship Center Omaha, NE

Faith Westwood United Methodist Church Omaha, NE
First Christian Church Norfolk, NE
First Covenant Church Omaha, NE

King of Kings Lutheran Church Omaha, NE
Kingsway Christian Church Omaha, NE

Lutheran Church of the Master Omaha, NE

New Life Baptist Church Bellevue, NE

Salem Baptist Church Omaha, NE
Shadow Lake Community Church Papillion, NE

St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Omaha, NE (at 132 and L street)
Stonebridge Christain Church Omaha, NE
Thanksgiving Lutheran Church Bellevue, NE
Trinity Church Omaha, NE
Westwood Community Church Omaha, NE

=================================================

btw:

some churches in Omaha btw are ex WCA churches (Wildewood in Papillion and Covenant Presbyterian and St. Andrews UMC on 150th and maple and of course Westside Church

all 4 of those churches have dropped their membership in the last 18 months.

dont want to badmouth anyone who goes to those churches, but some of those listed do promote some false teachings that Willow Creek and Bill Hybels support 100 percent.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
i dont know it if far from where you are, but you could try

TriPointe Baptist Church - Home at 84th and F in Omaha

or Midlands Bible Baptist Church: Home at 24th and Chandler Road

Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It is on the website as a Willow Creek church.
Here's what it says on the Willow Creek Find-A-Church site.
"While we do not oversee the ministry expressions of individual churches, WCA Membership is intended solely for churches that hold an orthodox understanding of biblical Christianity. All WCA Member Churches have affirmed the central doctrines of the Bible reflected in the WCA Statement of Faith and also presented in the historic creeds of the Christian faith. WCA Membership is open to churches of any size or denomination that are marked by a deep commitment to furthering the cause of Christ."

I fail to see how that could cause anybody a problem, unless you're Catholic, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, or maybe Anglican.

There are no dues paid. No oversight. No mandated materials or liturgical adherence. Nothing...

Even so, if that causes you a problem - for whatever reason - don't go to Calvary Christian Church. Pretty simple.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
they are a willow creek association church but they arent as bad theology wise as Trinity or Christ Community or Brookside where they believe what is cool is more important than sound doctrine
It is interesting, from the list of churches you cited, the wide variety of denominational backgrounds.

To me, that means that being a "member" of the WCA is extremely broad & non-binding, and is loose enough to encompass virtually any and all churches.

Again, I don't see a problem. Frankly, I see no point in being a member of the WCA, but I don't see a problem with it either.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It is interesting, from the list of churches you cited, the wide variety of denominational backgrounds.

To me, that means that being a "member" of the WCA is extremely broad & non-binding, and is loose enough to encompass virtually any and all churches.

Again, I don't see a problem. Frankly, I see no point in being a member of the WCA, but I don't see a problem with it either.

here's the problem. while WCA churches arent a problem.

Willow Creek Association and Bill Hybels support a lot of dubious individuals like Todd Bentley and Leonard Sweet and Brian McLaren and Rob Bell.

and churches who are part of the WCA automatically think if they are good for Bill Hybels, they must be good for our church.

==============================================

I will explain:

the willow creek association yearly conference The Global Leadership Summit 2010

(which will be at Brookside Church in Omaha btw) is going to have T.D. Jakes as a speaker

Jakes denies the trinity, pushes the word of faith gospel that folks like Paul Crouch and openly denies John 14:6

YouTube - TD Jakes and Joel Osteen Enrich Themselves in Jesus' Name

now, why would Brookside or any Omaha area WCA church not say

hey, we have a problem with Jakes teachings

or even speak out to their congregations that T.D. Jakes is a false teacher when their is lots of evidence to show Jakes is deceiving people

the willow creek association churches (most anyway) automatically support whatever Hybels and WC in Chicago support

and that is where problems happen.

when you have blind loyalty an throw out using discernment and refuse to do research, you become a cult not a church

if Brookside and Christ Community and Trinity and the other wca churches spoke out on T.D. Jakes false teachings, they would be seen as churches with credibility.

but they and their congreations refuse to do any research on Jakes or even speak out on the deception that Jakes and other WOF teachers peddle.

==============================================

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Timothy 4:3-4

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1 Timothy 4:1

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1 John 4:1

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

=================================

Last edited by billiefan2000; 05-17-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

^^ Allowing church to be a member church of the WCA doesn't necessarily mean the WCA "supports" that church. It appears to mean nothing more than that that church falls within the extremely broad parameters of the WCA tenets of faith.

Again, I can see no point in a church being a member of the WCA. None at all. But neither do I see membership as an automatic condemnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality