U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 2,635,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
Yeah, in official events I'd probably shy away from it too, especially not knowing who might come or maybe have it as an option but not flaunt it. In a small group it's safer esp. if you know the others in the group and all. Anyway, not to derail the discussion on that aspect...
Nope...no problem. I once went to lunch with a group from that church...and as we were sitting at Applebee's a server accidentally served me a beer by mistake. He just gave it to the wrong table. Not wanting to waste it, I enjoyed it. Nothing wrong with a beer...in moderation, of course. I just don't drink much anymore...maybe a glass of champagne over the holidays. It's just not worth bothering with, in my opinion.

Unread 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,540,598 times
joel and calvinist, you both make good points.

i have another question:

do you feel it's wrong for some in the christian community in omaha to look down at people who choose to be single

cause some churches in Omaha do have that attitude towards those who choose the gift of singleness

Unread 11-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
joel and calvinist, you both make good points.

i have another question:

do you feel it's wrong for some in the christian community in omaha to look down at people who choose to be single

cause some churches in Omaha do have that attitude towards those who choose the gift of singleness
I can see your point--sometimes it does seem that single people are a sort of second-class Christian. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to say it...but I'll just say....families tend to be viewed as contributing more to a church--and I think a lot of churches tend to try to focus on that.

Maybe it's for the reason that you rarely see a church planted to reach the 40-something year old factory workers....it's the young professionals with families that are targeted. I'm not saying it's right...that's just the way it is.

I don't think anyone should be looked down upon...I personally know guys that didn't get married until well into their 50's...they just didn't want to. It's just different...and that tends to make people scratch their heads.

Unread 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I can see your point--sometimes it does seem that single people are a sort of second-class Christian. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to say it...but I'll just say....families tend to be viewed as contributing more to a church--and I think a lot of churches tend to try to focus on that.

Maybe it's for the reason that you rarely see a church planted to reach the 40-something year old factory workers....it's the young professionals with families that are targeted. I'm not saying it's right...that's just the way it is.

I don't think anyone should be looked down upon...I personally know guys that didn't get married until well into their 50's...they just didn't want to. It's just different...and that tends to make people scratch their heads.

you are right, but I think the problem is those who are leaders in the church who tend to look down on single people in the church should act more christ-like to their own brethren.

If someone in the church chooses to be single, I say not bash them down or try to force them to find someone (like some area churches here do to singles and treat them as 2nd class christians)

but treat them as a fellow brother or sister in CHRIST

btw:

If it is okay to for some in the churches to be shacking up and messin around before marriage, than why is it wrong if one chooses to be single?

Last edited by billiefan2000; 11-10-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Unread 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
you are right, but I think the problem is those who are leaders in the church who tend to look down on single people in the church should act more christ-like to their own brethren.

If someone in the church chooses to be single, I say not bash them down or try to force them to find someone (like some area churches here do to singles and treat them as 2nd class christians)

but treat them as a fellow brother or sister in CHRIST
I agree. Absolutely. James 2 comes to mind. Christians (and church leaders) shouldn't look down on anyone in the church--be it poor people, or single people. But as sinful human beings...it happens. It's not right...but it does.

Unread 11-17-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly....if you're going to "Lord of Hosts" church...is Parsley going to screw up your faith any more than it already is?
After hearing about it I went and attended the service with Rod Parsley. It was standing room only and once Rod Parsley got up to speak the whole place got worked up into quite a frenzy.

Unread 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:

If it is okay to for some in the churches to be shacking up and messin around before marriage, than why is it wrong if one chooses to be single?
It's not ok. It's just not addressed like it should be.

And no...there's nothing "wrong" with choosing not to marry.

Unread 11-30-2010, 01:26 AM

305 posts, read 305,507 times
If you are interested, Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church on 150th and Q launched a new "Worship Experience" (yes, I'm being cynical) called CrossLight. It's at 10:47 (See Mark 10:47) on Sunday's. The service very informal and you will probably have to look hard to recognize that this is a Lutheran worship service to begin with (very nondenominational like with no liturgy and designed to attract seekers).

I'm a member there but you won't see me at CrossLight ever again most likely. I typically attend the Traditional/Hymnal service at 8AM.

Unread 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
If you are interested, Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church on 150th and Q launched a new "Worship Experience" (yes, I'm being cynical) called CrossLight. It's at 10:47 (See Mark 10:47) on Sunday's. The service very informal and you will probably have to look hard to recognize that this is a Lutheran worship service to begin with (very nondenominational like with no liturgy and designed to attract seekers).

I'm a member there but you won't see me at CrossLight ever again most likely. I typically attend the Traditional/Hymnal service at 8AM.

at least Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church dropped ties with the willow creek association denomination. they and 6 others in Omaha in last year have dropped ties with Bill Hybels seeker-driven agenda (more or less)

Willow Creek Association - Find A Church

btw on a side note:

churches or ministries having skip trips count as vacation, not a "missions" trip.

kinda troubled that evangelism is neglected in Omaha so churches and ministries can go on skip trips in Colorado and then pass it off as "mission" work.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 11-30-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Unread 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post

Just a thought...have you spoken to the pastor or anyone else in leadership regarding your concerns? You sound like you have a valid concern...I'd be curious to see if he has had any feedback regarding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality