Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,228 times

Advertisements

1 Tim. 5 (see vs. 17, 18 below) clearly instructs the church to "double honor" or pay some elders, "especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. This is not the same as having a "clergy-laity" divide; it is simply a matter of obeying God's Word and paying the elders who devote themselves full-time to ministry on behalf of the church.

Jon Wymer

The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,573 times
Default West Omaha Baptist Church in Millard

I would like to recommend our church , West Omaha Baptist Church in Millard near 136th and Q St. We are meeting in Discovery Plaza (although the tornado caused us to find a temporary location while repairs are made).

You can learn more about us at [url=http://www.westomahabaptistchurch.org]West Omaha Baptist Church, Omaha, NE 68137[/url]. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the church.

-Pastor Robertson

Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2aSweetPrincess View Post
I know of a good church that does not have paid clergy, rather the members lead meetings and take turns giving sermons and bearing testimony. There is a main meeting, and then there are meetings broken up for the young children, youth, and adults that are more like classes/discussion. In Lincoln it is on 31st and Old Cheney and meets at 9am Sunday morning, I know there are one or two in Omaha. If you are interested I can put you in touch with people there who could tell you more about it.
I am interested in more information - thank you!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2aSweetPrincess View Post
I know of a good church that does not have paid clergy, rather the members lead meetings and take turns giving sermons and bearing testimony. There is a main meeting, and then there are meetings broken up for the young children, youth, and adults that are more like classes/discussion. In Lincoln it is on 31st and Old Cheney and meets at 9am Sunday morning, I know there are one or two in Omaha. If you are interested I can put you in touch with people there who could tell you more about it.

Is this a house church? Is there an official statement of faith, or some sort of defined doctrines that you believe? How do you determine what is or isn't heretical?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
anyone know anything about Cornerstone Church at 96th and Harrison

of Harrison Street Baptist near 84th and Harrison

cause a friend suggested those 2 churches to me if I am ever in sarpy county

Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
anyone know anything about Cornerstone Church at 96th and Harrison

of Harrison Street Baptist near 84th and Harrison

cause a friend suggested those 2 churches to me if I am ever in sarpy county
Cornerstone changed their name awhile back... I think they are a Baptist church (not sure if Southern or another)... I knew one family that went there a number of years ago, but not recently. Harrison Street Baptist has been there along tiime, but again haven't known anyone that attended there. As far as I know they don't have a website, so probably need to call them for info. Sorry not more specific help on those two, but read on...

People that I know in Ralston, LaVista, and Papillion that are not Catholic or mainstream protestant tend to go to Overland Hills Church (Baptist) at 96th & Hwy 370, Shadow Lake (Mennonite) at 72nd & Hwy 370, Grace Fellowship (Reformed) at 84th & Halleck, Papio Creek Church (Reformed) at 84th & First St and Community Bible (not sure) at 90th & Q....

I found links to each and added them to the church name... Of the 5 I think most I've heard about people attending and really liking were either Community Bible in Ralston or Overland Hills in Papillion.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 20,820 times
I'm not going to respond to you point by point again, since we've probably already hijacked this thread a bit more than is necessary. I'd be happy to correspond with you by email if you want to discuss this further - you can find my email here: StoneBridge Online - Serve (http://www.stonebridgeonline.net/staff.html - broken link).

I will say that our primary disagreement does seem to be about the morning services. I disagree strongly that we shouldn't make an effort to appeal to the unchurched - that doesn't mean "the unregenerate tell us how to run our services", but it does mean we take them into account when we plan our services. If someone wants to go deeper - and we encourage them to do so, and believe me, we're working on ways to do that better - there are opportunities to do it. I won't deny that we can do a better job of advertising those ways, but I'm quite confident that you would have heard about them in a year at StoneBridge - they were in the program every week, on slides every week, and talked about from the stage and the pulpit at various times.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'll say again that you are completely off-base referring to StoneBridge as a lukewarm church. If you want to correspond further, please feel free to email me.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,824 times
Default Stonebridge/Fort street

I have noticed the recent postings on this church. Just wanted to say that I used to be a member there when it was "Fort Street" at the old location. I went there for 3 years or so, became a 'member' somewhere in that time, and was NOT SAVED the whole time. I thought I was but didn't even understand the basics of being saved. Later when I started going to a very biblically conservative church when we moved to another state, I realized I was not walking with the Lord and quickly repented and started following Jesus.

The sermons were worldly with little use of God's Word. I had had some experience with going to church when I was little and I remember that the pastor read from the Bible a lot. Not so at Fort Street. In fact, I never remember actually opening my Bible while in church (I did bring it though ... but never read it at home either ... was never encouraged to do so and did not realize how important that is). The sunday school for adults was ok, however the children's program was very watered down and worldly with a heavy emphasis on entertainment.

Matt 7:21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Rev 3:14And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

You cannot win the world with the world, nor be a friend of the world. in fact, if you are a friend of the world, you are the enemy of God!

James 4: 4Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
1 John 2: 15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

You cannot ACT and LOOK like the world and expect to win people to Christ!

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

You MUST win the world with God's Word, the Lord Jesus Christ; anything less than is not of God.

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 15If ye love me, keep my commandments.

We must repent and give it ALL to the Lord!!!

Luke 14:26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 33So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

I encourage all to listen to sermons by Keith Daniel and Gerhard duToit. Both are from South Africa but speak in the U.S. every year. They are NOT affiliated with the Charity church, however they have spoken there and you can find many of their sermons on the Charity Tape Ministry's website www.charityministries.org - from there, click on the tab for the tape ministry, then do a search in the messages for Keith Daniel or Gerhard duToit. I know they have some of Keith's available to listen to online, however you can order any tape, cd, set, etc. for free. Many of their sermons from other speakers are biblically sound, however with this as with ALL THINGS, search the scriptures to make sure those things are so.

Also watch Keith's message "A Warning to America" on google video:
A Warning To America by Keith Daniel

There's more videos on youtube posted by sermonindex YouTube - sermonindex's Channel - the Revival Conference 2007 in Canton OH is a good place to start; the 'favorites' has great videos too.

I pray that helps some - I feel that if you cannot find a church building to worship in, you at least can listen to godly sermons at home!! The links listed above make that possible. Please remember to READ your Bible! This is the most important thing. Prove all things, search the Scriptures daily.
Be careful of contemporary churches - there is nothing new in God's word. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16). I believe we can see God's heart in the OT - therefore this passage in Deut 10 applies to us today:

12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, 13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?

Notice the 5 things listed:
FEAR the Lord
WALK in His ways
LOVE Him
SERVE the Lord with ALL (not just part or some, but ALL) your heart and soul
KEEP the commandments of the Lord

1 John 2:3And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

With Love in Christ,
Joanne

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ..

Where did I read this, it is a statement in the old testament I believe in either Psalms or Proverbs that if you attain perfection you become an enemy of him?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian View Post
I'm not going to respond to you point by point again, since we've probably already hijacked this thread a bit more than is necessary. I'd be happy to correspond with you by email if you want to discuss this further - you can find my email here: StoneBridge Online - Serve (http://www.stonebridgeonline.net/staff.html - broken link).

I will say that our primary disagreement does seem to be about the morning services. I disagree strongly that we shouldn't make an effort to appeal to the unchurched - that doesn't mean "the unregenerate tell us how to run our services", but it does mean we take them into account when we plan our services. If someone wants to go deeper - and we encourage them to do so, and believe me, we're working on ways to do that better - there are opportunities to do it. I won't deny that we can do a better job of advertising those ways, but I'm quite confident that you would have heard about them in a year at StoneBridge - they were in the program every week, on slides every week, and talked about from the stage and the pulpit at various times.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'll say again that you are completely off-base referring to StoneBridge as a lukewarm church. If you want to correspond further, please feel free to email me.

say, jchristian, is StoneBridge a seeker-sensitive church like Trinity and Westside are and if isnt like them, how are you guys different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HobzJEJJ03w

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/

Last edited by billiefan2000; 07-20-2008 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality