Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times

Advertisements

You ever notice that when watching a tv show, a debate or an interview there never seems to be many "strong" Christians out there. It always seems like whenever someone is questioned about their beliefs or backed into a corner by a non-believer, they will usually retreat, cry, get upset or something. It's so frustrating to watch that.

Only reason why I bring this up because I'm watching Wife Swap and (yet again) they switched a conservative Christian mom with a liberal one. The scene that I'm referring to is when the liberal son tells the Christian mom that God doesn't exist. Rather than extend the discussion, she breaks down and buries her head in her hands and starts crying. I even think the son had some interesting points (which I would have gladly responded to).

I understand that peoples' feelings get hurt, and religion is a touchy subject but I've had discussions like this and personally, I'm not particularly shaken by it.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default Maybe on TV, but not on CD!

My thoughts are... you probably wouldn't see too many Christians on CD backing down in the face of a theological challenge!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
You ever notice that when watching a tv show, a debate or an interview there never seems to be many "strong" Christians out there. It always seems like whenever someone is questioned about their beliefs or backed into a corner by a non-believer, they will usually retreat, cry, get upset or something. It's so frustrating to watch that.

Only reason why I bring this up because I'm watching Wife Swap and (yet again) they switched a conservative Christian mom with a liberal one. The scene that I'm referring to is when the liberal son tells the Christian mom that God doesn't exist. Rather than extend the discussion, she breaks down and buries her head in her hands and starts crying. I even think the son had some interesting points (which I would have gladly responded to).

I understand that peoples' feelings get hurt, and religion is a touchy subject but I've had discussions like this and personally, I'm not particularly shaken by it.

What are your thoughts?
I've noticed it. I've also noticed lots of shows (on Law & Order - original version in particular) they treat religion poorly. They show parents who abuse their child in the name of God. They show a dad who "hid" behind religion to avoid the penalty for killing a man who got her daughter pregnant. They showed a priest who couldn't answer simple, faith-based questions. They show "normal" christians as quiet, timid, afraid, confused, uneducated or just blind-faith followers.

Other shows that don't have Christian characters will just plain demean Christianity by their words and jokes and parodies. Basically, I've given up trying to find a show that represents Christians as they truly are.

Also, I watch lots of goofy stuff (according to my wife) like nature programs, science, history -- and they all paint Christianity in a poor light, if they mention it at all, like we're diluted and uneducated also. They portray evolution as "fact" and nothing to contradict their assumptions. I'm just about ready to cancel my cable subscription altogether, if it wasn't for the faith-based channels I get too that aren't on basic service.

Sorry for the vent -- we now return you to your normally scheduled programming

Last edited by mams1559; 07-30-2007 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
You're not alone Mams...a lot of us are just disgusted with TV. We rarely watch any of the regular programming except for the news/weather.

I don't even watch many of the Christian (preaching/discussion) shows for a variety of reasons. Guess that's why I spend so much time on CD!

Actually, I recently have watched more Discovery Channel than anything -- you know the shark shows, etc. But even then you hear about how they've been evolving for 400,000,000 years or so.

TV, or the world in general, no longer respects Christianity as a religion and they seem to respect few Christians.

But when questioned about something, we should be prepared to give an answer instead of backing away from it. That's why we should study our Bibles and know what God has to say about it.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I agree with kaykay and I can't say that I've really seen that on television either. I guess it depends on what you're watching. If you watch alot of news, educational and documentaries like I do you'll see people from both sides who are able to aggressively debate their point of view. News channels such as FoxNews are extremely pro-religion in their programming and I don't think any of the major news networks would take an anti-religious tone because America is so religious and they're all after market share. I have no idea what the program Wife Swap is and I suspect I don't want to. I try to watch programs that are intelligent and informative (and I don't mean that you don't by the way). I get hundreds of channels and probably 95% of them aren't worth watching.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I get hundreds of channels and probably 95% of them aren't worth watching.
Boy if this isn't true. All I seem to watch anymore are the Discovery and History channels. With the exception of some animated fun (South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Robot Chicken, Futurama, Simpsons, etc.)

Most of those shows like "Wife Swap" purposely choose people that will be dramatic and/or fun to watch. They don't want intelligent conversation because that would lead to boring television (according to the average viewer) and they'd lose their ratings. Personally, the idea behind "Wife Swap" is just a rip off from Dave Chappelle, and he did it as a ridiculous joke. I can't believe someone actually made the show!

Oops, and I watch CNBC all day every weekday.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My thoughts are... you probably wouldn't see too many Christians on CD backing down in the face of a theological challenge!
Right you are. And so is Montana Guy most of the stuff on TV isn't worth watching. I love to watch the Weather Channel

Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I also watched this show tonight. My heart went out to the christian wife. She was weeping for the disrespect he was showing God whom she believes in with heart and soul..What could she say to this rebellious teen who was full of hate for this country, its flag and the people who believe in God..She is not the childs parent who was there, and she knew that anything she said would just feed the young mans arrogance..I was close to tears myself for the whole sad situation. I do not see her weeping as weakness, I see it as hunnbleness. Christians, like everyone else come with all different personalities, God didn't make us clones. Some christians are bold and speak out, some are able to quote scripture some are, etc, etc. Each one complements the other, and God is pleased.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-30-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: add content

Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Regarding the OP, I think she fell in her duty, so to speak. Christians are disdained by people such as this teen and I for one don't see the need to burst into tears whenever I'm challenged in my faith.

I tend to return the attitude: "You mean to tell me you believe we all just popped into existance, all from nothing but a Big Bang?" It's laughable to me that this belief is held AS A GOD practically by some athiests. Then the next agrument is that the science backing up their beliefs is indisputable--as if human understanding, knowledge, and intelligence has reached it's pinnacle and is indisputable.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM

1,378 posts, read 393,149 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Well Christians are not allowed to engage in hearsay (heresy). They can only say what The Bible or Church says they can say. So once they have said it, & you attack them with questions about that point of view, then they have nothing left to add. They did the right thing & lived their life according to the scripture, & they do not have a vast trove of spiritual knowledge to back that scripture up. If they do put forth their own opinion it will be hearsay (Heresy) & they know that is not allowed.
It's like an employee of a company. They can only say what the company tells them to say.
Or the government officials. Ordinary people who can only say what the government wants them to say.

So a Christian can only say what is in The Bible, & if you don't agree with that then your argument is with The Church & not the Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality