Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:01 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times

Advertisements

Pay and pray is a whole 'nother topic. Buildings cost money and so on and so forth.

I visited Los Angeles around New Years and as we were driving along the freeway on New Years day, I realized it was almost time for Mass even though we had gone to Mass on saturday evening. So I pulled off into downtown L.A. and experienced my first high mass. It was beautiful. Later, someone gave a snide "hmph" and refered to my visit as goin to the Taj Mahoney.

Ewwkay. Sometimes its best to just not talk to other people. Someone always has something negative to say.

I have always liked the idea of how Indians would go to a mountain and fast and pray. This was long before any message of Christ came to this continent. I still like to go to the mountain and pray.

I am catholic and hearing the catholic church's evil history is nothing new to me, nor is it a deterrent to my faith. I am not going to judge ancient historical events by todays morals and standards.

The history of the catholic church you shared is interesting and no doubt true. The past is full of examples of carnage, even the Bible itself is full of violence. Guess that puts me square in the catholic box.

Why not balance out historical examples which would bear witness to the goodness of men of faith. An example would be those hermits who left society and lived in contemplation. Those monks might be right handy with a sword too, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 AM

208 posts, read 507,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
TooShort, please take this for what it is meant to be, just a casual curiousty. And as my title asks, maybe we should start a new Post? Thread?

How will you expose your children to other faiths/beliefs? I am not sure that I understand what you believe. I think you opened this discussion around baptistm and whether Catholics thought your unbaptised child would go to heaven upon death. (I have given you my view on that.) But now there seems to be a new issue, and I'm curious. Do you have a belief/faith? How do you practice it? How will you teach your children your beliefs and how will you expose them to others?

Just so that it doesn't seem like I am just be nosy for nosy's sake, here is my thought on the upbringing of my own children.

I am Catholic. I converted almost four years ago. It took me almost four years to convert, due to Catholic "rules",i.e., annulment, personal education of the faith, etc. In those four years, I feel in love with the Church. Sure some of the rules are difficult to abide by. But I try whole heartedly to follow them. Part of being Catholic is accepting what the Church teaches as being true. With that being said, I will bring my children up Catholic. They will receive their formal education in public schools. They will receive their religious education from my husband, myself and the Church. When they become old enough to question their faith (the Church refers to it as "the age of reason"), I will answer their questions to the best of my knowledge/beliefs. I will encourage them to explore their curiousities. Will I try to convience them to remain in the Catholic Church? Of course! Will I accept them if they choose to seek God elsewhere? By all means.

AMEEEEEEEEEN!

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !

Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Because Catholics feel that we should be reminded of what Jesus is said to have gone through (suffering) while on the cross.

I grew up culturally Catholic, and empty cross to me looks just like that...empty.

This site, has interesting information about the difference. http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_040629.asp (It's down towards the bottom.)
Thanks I will go to the site and check it out. I guess I have always looked at it as his dead or still suffering!! If it was finished upon the cross then wouldn't the pain be over and HIS ALIVE!!!! It's so interesting and all the differences is religion. Try explaining all these types to a 14 year old.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
For the same reason that around Christmastime, you'll see a baby Jesus in the manger in most Protestant churches. Think about it.
Yeah, the Christmas thing is really weird anymore. It's all about Santa Claus and spending money to be in debt. Jesus what Jesus HE really needs HIS own TRUE day as a Saviour and not a baby!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
what Jesus HE really needs HIS own TRUE day as a Saviour and not a baby!!!
Can't really have one without the other though, can you? Same thing with the cross and resurrection by the way. One does not nullify the other. In fact, each is necessary for the other.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Can't really have one without the other though, can you? Same thing with the cross and resurrection by the way. One does not nullify the other. In fact, each is necessary for the other.
Yes, your right but where did Santa Claus get into the midst and become the center. How many children really realize it's about Jesus. The meaning of his birth has been over shadowed by "Man In The Red Suit"!!
Same with the "Easter Bunny" I totally understand the reason for the season and the resurrection it's just been replaced with presents!!!

Last edited by wildberries61; 05-13-2007 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: misspelled word.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:02 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
For the same reason that around Christmastime, you'll see a baby Jesus in the manger in most Protestant churches. Think about it.
Oh Marks it isn't just protestant

I am catholic and it is my 7 yr olds responsibilty to put the baby Jesus in his manger at our house on Christmas Eve before he goes to bed
On Christams Morning BEFORE he even goes for his presents He lights up the manger and says Happy Birthday Jesus

Not lying True story

Old 05-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post

I am catholic and it is my 7 yr olds responsibilty to put the baby Jesus in his manger at our house on Christmas Eve before he goes to bed
On Christams Morning BEFORE he even goes for his presents He lights up the manger and says Happy Birthday Jesus

Not lying True story
That's too cute!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:34 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Oh, I absolutely agree. But I was trying to make a point: I don't understand why some Protestants get bothered by images of Jesus on the cross, but they have no problem with images of Jesus in the manger. The standard line is: "Jesus didn't stay on the cross!" Well, of course he didn't, and every good Catholic knows that. But just because Jesus didn't remain a baby doesn't mean there is anything wrong with remembering and honoring Him as a baby.

Quote:

Not lying True story
That's awesome!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Oh, I absolutely agree. But I was trying to make a point: I don't understand why some Protestants get bothered by images of Jesus on the cross, but they have no problem with images of Jesus in the manger. The standard line is: "Jesus didn't stay on the cross!" Well, of course he didn't, and every good Catholic knows that. But just because Jesus didn't remain a baby doesn't mean there is anything wrong with remembering and honoring Him as a baby.

That's awesome!
I am with you Marks
How can they be upset about the visual aspect of the man on the cross
or in the manger for that fact
It is a rememberance of the sacrifice He made for us
And trust me some people need visauls on a daily basis

But these would probably be the same people that have watched
"Jesus of Nazereth" and other movies depicting His life

So what is the difference?
aren't they all visuals to make us better understand

besides
telling a child that Jesus died on the cross is one thing
Letting them see a visual representation of it
actually instills it in them there is nothing left to doubt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality