Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Walter isn't Judaism through the mother? A matrilineal inheritance?
My asumption, which may have been incorrect, was that the gggrandfather was married to a Jewish woman; if not, than Richard1965 is not Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
well, we know he could read, its in the NT. but they memorized text alot too. so how well he could read and write i dont know. he was not a scribe. like today in egypt --most are illiterate or read and write very poorly. but did he write anything ??? the chances that the vatican has done some editing over 2000 years are excellent.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
My asumption, which may have been incorrect, was that the gggrandfather was married to a Jewish woman; if not, than Richard1965 is not Jewish.

If his mother was Jewish he is Jewish. If his mother was not but his father was he is not Jewish. Correct?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we know he could read, its in the NT.
the chances that the vatican has done some editing over 2000 years are excellent.

He could read, he was a Jew and he grew up learning Torah. He grew up understanding what it meant to be a Jew and to live as a Jew and to practice as a Jew.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
If his mother was Jewish he is Jewish. If his mother was not but his father was he is not Jewish. Correct?
Yes.

But, some Reform congregations accept someone born of a Jewish father, but not of a Jewish mother, as Jewish.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes.

But, some Reform congregations accept someone born of a Jewish father, but not of a Jewish mother, as Jewish.
I know.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It says in the scriptures that since they did not want to acknowledge the Truth, God handed them over to a delusion so that they would believe a lie...
If you will open your scriptures and read what Luke wrote:

Luke 24:32 says, “They asked each other, ‘were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?’â€

What does he say here? "Were not our hearts burning within us..."

This burning within us is the very essence of God... His Divine Love and it is what all the disciples received at Pentecost and it came as if a mighty wind... and it's what Jesus received all of his life and when his soul was completely filled, he became the Christ, the divine man.

Why is this truth left out of the bible? Because later writers and rewriters didn't have a clue about it.

But there is no excuse for any of us now, because Jesus' teachings have been in print for 70 years and they're available online.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
To escape anti-semitism maybe? Many Jews after WW2 turned their backs on being Jewish.

When did they come to this country?

Many Jews in history turned their backs on being Jewish or converted to be safe.
Well, my grandmother has the original discharge papers on him from the civil war, he was discharged in Richmond, VA and it is signed by A. Stratton and details his name and place of birth as Francis Joseph Myers born in 1842 in Pest, Hungary and i believe she still has the marriage cert of his wife Catherine and him, i think it has something do do with a synygogue, i can't remember, i saw it when i was a small child then grandma put them back into the safe deposit box in the bank and that is the last time i saw it...I am also told and did research on it, that Myers or Meyers is a Jewish spelling of Maiers or Meiers...And if one looks at the photos of grandma and her mother everyone says that they look Jewish...I think he mother knew, because grandma says she was kinda cagey about where they came from saying things like 'as far as i know we have been here for ever' or 'we've always been Methodists' or something to that effect...And when i was in school many of my school mates thought i was Jewish for some reason, this was way before i started actually paying attention to my heritage...

Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, my grandmother has the original discharge papers on him from the civil war, he was discharged in Richmond, VA and it is signed by A. Stratton and details his name and place of birth as Francis Joseph Myers born in 1842 in Pest, Hungary and i believe she still has the marriage cert of his wife Catherine and him, i think it has something do do with a synygogue, i can't remember, i saw it when i was a small child then grandma put them back into the safe deposit box in the bank and that is the last time i saw it...I am also told and did research on it, that Myers or Meyers is a Jewish spelling of Maiers or Meiers...And if one looks at the photos of grandma and her mother everyone says that they look Jewish...I think he mother knew, because grandma says she was kinda cagey about where they came from saying things like 'as far as i know we have been here for ever' or 'we've always been Methodists' or something to that effect...And when i was in school many of my school mates thought i was Jewish for some reason, this was way before i started actually paying attention to my heritage...
Thats really interesting. I have been working on geneology for quite awhile and my family is Dutch and German. If there is Jewish in my ancestry I have not found it. I have considered having a dna test done to see if there are azhkanzi markers which would tell me if I have Jewish ancestry although that would not make me a Jew. I have been drawn to Judaism as far back as I can remember I finally converted to Judaism.

You might enjoy digging in to that part of your family and connecting to your heritage.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Thats really interesting. I have been working on geneology for quite awhile and my family is Dutch and German. If there is Jewish in my ancestry I have not found it. I have considered having a dna test done to see if there are azhkanzi markers which would tell me if I have Jewish ancestry although that would not make me a Jew. I have been drawn to Judaism as far back as I can remember I finally converted to Judaism.

You might enjoy digging in to that part of your family and connecting to your heritage.

Me, too. As far back as I could reason. I'm afraid that if I went to the synagogue they would laugh at me. I once read that they can do a DNA check now for you. I have family from Prussia. You never know. I look Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality