Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Buddhist 1 2.86%
Catholic 4 11.43%
Hindu 0 0%
Jewish 2 5.71%
Mormon 1 2.86%
Muslim 2 5.71%
Protestant 2 5.71%
Scientologist 0 0%
Taoist 1 2.86%
Wiccan 1 2.86%
Christan other 4 11.43%
Other 3 8.57%
Not sure 0 0%
Agnostic 6 17.14%
Atheist 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvergaetira View Post
I'm generally a Wiccan, with Buddhist overtones, but think all religions are different "paths to the top of the mountain." I am more spiritual than religious, but hate what religious institutions have done in the name of "god" over the many centuries.
I was raised Episcopal, but somewhere along the way realized that I also believed in reincarnation and argued with the minester that animals had souls because life was part soul. I consider myself Wiccan, but practice a very basic version. I don't go in for ceremony much and have yet to find a group which does not lean on their ceremony more than I feel comfortable with. I have overtones of Native religion as well. So I would be best described as a Solitary Hedge witch.

Someone else posted they are a pre-curcification Christian because its about a personal relationship with God. I can certainly understand that. I keep my ceremony to a minimum and feel as if the Lady is with me and I can feel a part of her world even if I do nothing.

I agree that all faiths are really a way down the same path and none are either wrong or right, just what is right for the individual. Religions may be representative of the faith they represent or not, but it is the faith which touches us on a personal way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh. Neat o! I actually LIKE the sound of that!
See, Christians like that are the ones that are sweet, loving, non-judgmental, and accepting. I like 'em.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 97,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was raised Episcopal, but somewhere along the way realized that I also believed in reincarnation and argued with the minester that animals had souls because life was part soul. I consider myself Wiccan, but practice a very basic version. I don't go in for ceremony much and have yet to find a group which does not lean on their ceremony more than I feel comfortable with. I have overtones of Native religion as well. So I would be best described as a Solitary Hedge witch.

Someone else posted they are a pre-curcification Christian because its about a personal relationship with God. I can certainly understand that. I keep my ceremony to a minimum and feel as if the Lady is with me and I can feel a part of her world even if I do nothing.

I agree that all faiths are really a way down the same path and none are either wrong or right, just what is right for the individual. Religions may be representative of the faith they represent or not, but it is the faith which touches us on a personal way.
Agreed, especially with the "personal" nature of one's own beliefs. I think some people want a connection with a greater being and find a way to bring it into their lives, and others are content without it, and that either way, people should strive for personal happiness and a sound mind, so long as it harms none. That's why I like about the Wiccan Rede. Religion could be good or bad, depending on how one uses it. I feel very sorry for anyone who feels the fanatical need to impose his/her beliefs on another, as it reeks of insecurity in one's beliefs. What better way to achieve internal validation than to have others follow? I want to look them in the eye and say. "Chill! Seriously!"

Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Agreed, especially with the "personal" nature of one's own beliefs. I think some people want a connection with a greater being and find a way to bring it into their lives, and others are content without it, and that either way, people should strive for personal happiness and a sound mind, so long as it harms none. That's why I like about the Wiccan Rede. Religion could be good or bad, depending on how one uses it. I feel very sorry for anyone who feels the fanatical need to impose his/her beliefs on another, as it reeks of insecurity in one's beliefs. What better way to achieve internal validation than to have others follow? I want to look them in the eye and say. "Chill! Seriously!"

Wow. Churches make the Wiccans out to be like evil devil worshipping baby killing heathens. But from what I've read they are more Christian than Christians!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
See, Christians like that are the ones that are sweet, loving, non-judgmental, and accepting. I like 'em.

Yeah me too! If only they were all like that! They might actually be able to make a REAL difference in the world.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
I was raised a catholic -- followed by years of being agnostic -- then Pagan. Haven't got it all figured out and never will. Now I'm my own weird mix - study and try to practice zen buddhism (a philosphy, not a religion), still feel somewhat Pagan, and I like to believe there is some type of higher being but I prefer to think that all living beings have some kind of spirit/soul and all of these combined are what is [insert word of your choice-god/goddess or whatever]. I like to think that when someone I love dies that they don't just rot in the ground. It's comforting to think the non-physical part of them is still hanging around somewhere.

I'm fine with what anyone else believes as long as it hurts no one else. But I have zero tolerance for someone trying to convert me to their beliefs.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Divine Love Christian.
Each person doing their own will in search of their own relationship with God and finding the God within through Divine Love. We set people on the path and let them run their own race no matter where that path leads.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Wow. Churches make the Wiccans out to be like evil devil worshipping baby killing heathens. But from what I've read they are more Christian than Christians!
We are pretty chill, and we don't believe in the devil The whole "baby killing" thing is really old rhetoric that's made its way into today's society from early Christian/medieval heresy persecution, which also manifested in Renaissance witchcraft accusations. That said, the accusations are hooey. My dissertation deals with this phenomenon a bit, and it's amazing how "hooey" masquerades as fact, and somehow endures throughout the centuries to hurt people For most of us, "Wicca" is about finding balance within ourselves and the larger world. Most of us also have no problems with Christians, so long as they respect our rights to believe as we wish. I personally think the essence of Christ's message as a loving being works well with other religions...I see no necessary conflict.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
We are pretty chill, and we don't believe in the devil The whole "baby killing" thing is really old rhetoric that's made its way into today's society from early Christian/medieval heresy persecution, which also manifested in Renaissance witchcraft accusations. That said, the accusations are hooey. My dissertation deals with this phenomenon a bit, and it's amazing how "hooey" masquerades as fact, and somehow endures throughout the centuries to hurt people For most of us, "Wicca" is about finding balance within ourselves and the larger world. Most of us also have no problems with Christians, so long as they respect our rights to believe as we wish. I personally think the essence of Christ's message as a loving being works well with other religions...I see no necessary conflict.
It's funny that people call pagans devil worshippers. They don't believe in a devil as the devil is the invention of christians.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
It's funny that people call pagans devil worshippers. They don't believe in a devil as the devil is the invention of christians.
True indeed! It seems that they argue that anything not of "god" is of the "devil" by default, as if they could quantify the very term itself. The argument makes sense in their own paradigm, perhaps, but not as it relates to the larger world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality