Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
There is no overpopulation. There are plenty of natural resources if we use them wisely.
Big IF.

15 million starve to death yearly.
No problem.
Right?

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM

57 posts, read 134,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Big IF.

15 million starve to death yearly.
No problem.
Right?

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

Regards
DL
There is plenty of crops grown in this country alone (US) to feed the world. If there are people dying from starvation it's not due to lack of food. Blame the people in charge. They have the resources if they'd use 'em.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Besides some of the responses above, I will give you another example. China has the 1 child policy whereas India could not implement it in the (I think) 1970s-80s). I heard when the govt tried to limit kids to 2 people, many rightfully thought it was infringement on personal rights. In particular, the muslim community there was absolutely up in arms about this, the Indira Gandhi govt was toppled during re-elections. The muslim segment is the poorer part of the population and yet it has the most number of kids (chicken -egg). They are growing faster than any other segment in India, and the religion encourages this (much like the Palestenian population growth in Israel) - although the situation and reasoning is different. In any case, encouraging reproduction in a poor country like India is insane - it already produces the equivalent of 1 Australia every year and the strain on resources is huge. Muslim leaders there have generally not got on the bandwagon of openly encouraging voluntary control on the number of kids. I know at one time Bush was also considering not giving aid to countries that encouraged the use of condoms. Religious expansion via more kids is easy and religions absolutely have a hand in it. This is not limited to Catholics alone.
Thanks for your last.

The family in my example above was not Christian.
Let’s try to look at all Gods and believers, not just some.

Regards
DL

Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
There is plenty of crops grown in this country alone (US) to feed the world. If there are people dying from starvation it's not due to lack of food. Blame the people in charge. They have the resources if they'd use 'em.
Those --in charge-- have no power because we do not give it to them.
There is no, one, one, in charge. So to speak.

Regards
DL

Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM

57 posts, read 134,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Those --in charge-- have no power because we do not give it to them.
There is no, one, one, in charge. So to speak.

Regards
DL

I'm sorry. I'm not quite sure I understood that. They have no power because WHO doesn't give it to them?

And you really didn't answer my point that there is plenty of food...but that it's just not managed well.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry. I'm not quite sure I understood that. They have no power because WHO doesn't give it to them?
The global -we-, the electorate. We give our leaders little power. We squawk now against our political leaders and the way they control the economy and spend our money. Let any government try to divert funds to poverty and see how lond that person stays in office.

Quote:
And you really didn't answer my point that there is plenty of food...but that it's just not managed well.
Production of food at present levels is hurting the environment.
How dead do you want it?

Further, to increase production will leave a carbon footprint that would add to global warming and desertifycation.

Regards
DL

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,413 times
There is the whole "Go forth and multiply" thing, and I've heard of some church folks going on about the evils of birth control because "Them there muslims are starting to outnumber us good, God-fearing Christian folks"... as silly as that is.

Truth be told, though, if I knew my body and my bank account could handle it.. I'd have so many kids even the Duggars would blush. I'm the "Mommy"ing type like that.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
There is the whole "Go forth and multiply" thing, and I've heard of some church folks going on about the evils of birth control because "Them there muslims are starting to outnumber us good, God-fearing Christian folks"... as silly as that is.

Truth be told, though, if I knew my body and my bank account could handle it.. I'd have so many kids even the Duggars would blush. I'm the "Mommy"ing type like that.
Quantity over quality. Ok.

Regards
DL

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,591 times
I have always found the areas of higher education seemed to have the lowest birth rates. Several religions (Catholics, Mormons to mention two) preach no birth control, or encourage large families. It helps fill the empty seats in their dying religions. The area where their pitch is being accepted also seems to be in 3rd world countries, and among the lowest education levels found in humanity. I am a proponent of the “Quality over Quantity” statements.
In the case where people are starving and religion is still preaching against birth control, I think the church should shoulder the responsibility and care for the people.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have always found the areas of higher education seemed to have the lowest birth rates. Several religions (Catholics, Mormons to mention two) preach no birth control, or encourage large families. It helps fill the empty seats in their dying religions. The area where their pitch is being accepted also seems to be in 3rd world countries, and among the lowest education levels found in humanity. I am a proponent of the “Quality over Quantity” statements.
In the case where people are starving and religion is still preaching against birth control, I think the church should shoulder the responsibility and care for the people.
Let's hope they do so.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality