Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM

111 posts, read 595,960 times

Advertisements

Now that I have your attention... I was thinking, what if the world knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus Christ was coming back to the physical world tomorrow at 3pm... What would you do?

1) If you're a believer in Christ and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, would you rejoice and try to convince loved ones to accept Him, before he returns?

2) If you're an Atheist, would you continue with your belief that Jesus is fake, and God simply doesn't exist, or would you repent and accept Him as your Lord and Savior?

Please answer one of the two questions above, and also, please respond honestly. I'm just wandering...

My answer is to question #1.

I am a believer in Christ, and I've accepted Him as my Lord and Savior, so if we knew Jesus' return was tomorrow at 3pm. I would nag my unbelieving family and friends to accept Him, and with the news of his return, I am SURE they'd be receptive and falling to their faces repenting!

So, what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,208,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
Now that I have your attention... I was thinking, what if the world knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus Christ was coming back to the physical world tomorrow at 3pm... What would you do?

1) If you're a believer in Christ and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, would you rejoice and try to convince loved ones to accept Him, before he returns?

2) If you're an Atheist, would you continue with your belief that Jesus is fake, and God simply doesn't exist, or would you repent and accept Him as your Lord and Savior?

Please answer one of the two questions above, and also, please respond honestly. I'm just wandering...

I am a believer in Christ, and I've accepted Him as my Lord and Savior, so if we knew Jesus' return was tomorrow at 3pm. I would nag my unbelieving family and friends to accept Him, and with the news of his return, I am SURE they'd be receptive and falling to their faces repenting!

So, what about you?
I am soooo ready let his light shine for all to see

Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM

356 posts, read 1,128,952 times
How would you know "him"? Would he be a white man?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,208,783 times
no the Bible says that there will be no doubt
you WILL know it is Him

Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,236 times
Quote:

I have emphasized a portion of your OP.

If I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that christianity were true and the 2nd coming were absolutely, really going to happen... well, then I would not be an atheist. Of course I would repent, accept, all that other stuff.

I think that you have either phrased the question poorly, in that one cannot know that divine things are going to happen and still be an atheist. OR, you do not really understand what being an atheist means.

For the record, I am not denying god, or refusing to believe in him, or ignoring him. I honestly, truly, from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, do not believe that he exists in any form whatsoever.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:09 PM

954 posts, read 812,802 times
[quote=FROMCATOGA;702321]
Quote:

No, I don't think you were "thinking" because, if the world knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus Christ was coming back to the physical world tomorrow at 3pm, there wouldn't be any atheists would there?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM

246 posts, read 649,191 times
Lightbulb yikes...

Quote:

So, what about you?
Great question - can't wait to read everyone's responses. Should be very enlightening, to say the least...

To answer question #1 -
Honestly, I would rejoice (my heart would leap out of my chest), but in my heart, would be much regret, as well. (heck, I have regret, even now - thanks for that Holy conviction)

I would regret all the times I could've been more bold and more of a reflection of Jesus. I would crumble because, knowing I don't deserve it at all, He's still coming for me. I would think of how much I have failed Him daily, yet in His awesome Grace, He still loves me and wants to take me home. I would have to fall on my face, before I convinced anyone to fall on theirs! But, then I would probably go crazy in making sure anyone I came across or knew, knew Jesus as Lord, too.

Wow, so why do I not care to make that a priority, now? Missed the mark, again.

Lord, fogive me and help me to be all that you have called me to be, to follow you and your example, to live my life according to your will, to get back to the Heart of the Father.
(Gosh, seems like I need to go fall on my face, now... 'til next time or 'til we meet in Heaven.... whichever comes first.)

Old 05-11-2007, 02:41 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,286 times
What a great question!
In answer to #2...like others have said, I would probably fall down realizing that I really haven't done NEAR enough for Him. I would be spending part of the time praying and asking Him to SHOW me what HE wants me to do before He gets here. I would ask Him for guidance and direction and wisdom in who He would want me to be witnessing to and not...but I am sure my unsaved family members would be first...I think HE would want that as well.
However, the irony in the question is:
If I KNEW that He was coming...would that mean EVERYONE (believers and NON-believers alike) would KNOW He is coming? If yes, then I really wouldn't have to spend my time witnessing to others because I think it would go without saying that the non-believers would have a quick change of heart (except for maybe a select few that would probably even STILL DENY HIM). IF ONLY I (and other fellow Christians knew) He was coming...I think I/WE would still be in the same boat we are right now. If only the Christians knew He was coming tomorrow, it wouldn't be any different than KNOWING HE IS COMING SOMEDAY...the non-believers still wouldn't believe us anyway

But I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by HIS side...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
I think the question is a little unfair for atheists. You are taking into assumption that all of a sudden atheists had a wake up call that Jesus was coming and now you're asking us what we would do? Look, if some man in the sky starts talking to me, and I am not clinically insane, and he tells me that he is god and he is sending his son down tomorrow well than that gives me some pretty definitive proof that God exists.

That's all atheists really want is proof that God exists scientifically. Most of us know what the Bible says; but as I said in another post "It's like reading "Othello" or "Hamlet". It's just a work of fiction to us. Prove to us scientifically or physically that God exists and you'll have yourself a believer. So, to answer your question, I would be a believer yes. But, it's going to take something a lot more definitive than someone shouting verses from the bible.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:

So, what about you?
Answer to question #1 I'm ready not matter what the hour or day. But I don't think I'd nag anyone, if I haven't already said enough by now to the people I know and love, it wouldn't make any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality