Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelievedoyou? View Post
I believe do you? Times are short and he is coming soon so get ready the signs of global currency are showing how close we are thank god borack obama denounced global currency because one that comes in to play and when a one world government comes into play people left behind on the earth will be in trouble . I reccomend that you watch the judgement video to see how worse times could get and how the antichrist munipulates things there is a series of thes videos i reccomend you watch these videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
II Peter 3:3-4, TLB. "First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will come scoffers who will do every wrong they can think of, and laugh at the truth. This will be their line of argument: ‘So Jesus promised to come back, did He? Then where is He? He'll never come! Why, as far back as anyone can remember everything has remained exactly as it was since the first day of creation.'"

The coming of the Antichrist is a sign of the end. It's in the Bible, I John 2:18, TLB. "Dear children, this world's last hour has come. You have heard about the Antichrist who is coming—the one who is against Christ—and already many such persons have appeared. This makes us all the more certain that the end of the world is near."

Did Jesus say when the end would come? It's in the Bible, Matthew 24:14, NIV. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Men posing as Jesus will try to deceive people in the last days. It's in the Bible, Matthew 24:23-24, NIV. "At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!' or ‘There He is!' do not believe it. For false Christ's and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible."

There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. It's in the Bible, Matthew 24:29-30, NIV. "Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory."

What moral conditions will be characteristic of society in the last days? It's in the Bible, II Timothy 3:1-5, NIV. "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."

An increase in knowledge and travel is a sign of the last days. It's in the Bible, Daniel 12:4, TLB. "But Daniel, keep this prophecy a secret; seal it up so that it will not be understood until the end times, when travel and education shall be vastly increased!"

What other signs of the last days does the Bible mention? It's in the Bible, Luke 21:25-26, NIV. "There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken."

Talk of peace and safety are a sign of the last days. It's in the Bible, I Thessalonians 5:2-3, NIV. "For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, ‘Peace and safety,' destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape."

What are people to do when they see these things taking place? It's in the Bible, Matthew 24:42-44, TLB. "So be prepared, for you don't know what day your Lord is coming. Just as a man can prevent trouble from thieves by keeping watch for them, so you can avoid trouble by always being ready for My unannounced return."

I looked these up, hope it helps.
Dear Arguy: What is the context of these verses? Let's look at them one at a time. [First of all, I have no regard for The Living Bible--it is a paraphrase and NOT a translation which is based on the Greek manuscripts. It is an interpretation of a translation].

2 Peter 3:3-4 deals with Peter's words written to his contemporaries. Notice verse 1--"Beloved, I write to YOU this second epistle." Peter wanted THEM to be mindful of his words. THEY were to know that in the last days (in which they then lived--see Hebrews 1 and Acts 2) scoffers would come. These scoffers were of their day and not of ours! THEY were not to be affected by these scoffers of THEIR day but were to trust in the faithfulness of God. Why did the scoffers scoff unless in THAT time frame Christians were believing in and teaching about Christ's soon return to THEM? Notice that Peter does not rebuke them for expecting Christ's soon return. He does not tell his brethren, "Don't listen to those scoffers. You know Christ is not coming for a long, long time!" THEY believed Christ was coming soon and were to not become disheartened and impatient. He would come as He promised--in their generation!

Matthew 24:14 has already been fulfilled. Jesus did not say that the Gospel had to be preached throughout the entire world of OUR day, did He? No! He was speaking to His disciples right there with Him about things that were going to affect them personally. In their lifetime, the Gospel was to be preached to the whole world and then the end would come--not the end of the world, but the end of the age! Read Colossians 1:4f. Paul praises the Colossians for their love for the saints and states that they have heard the word of the truth of the gospel. It had come to them as it HAD in ALL the world." Look at verse 23. Paul admonishes them to remain steadfast and not be moved away from the truth of the gospel which they HAD heard and which "was preached to EVERY creature under heaven."

Matthew 24:29-30 is followed by Jesus' words to His disciples right there with Him in which He tells them that they are to recognize those signs as surely and cleary as THEY recognize the signs of the coming of summer. THEY were to know when THEY saw the signs that He was near--at the doors (32-33). When would they see all of those things about which He had just told THEM? "Assuredly, I say to YOU, THIS generation will by no means pass away till ALL these things take place" (verse 34). Verses 29-30 contain prophetic, metamorphical, apocalyptic, judgment language typical of Jewish prophets (see Isaiah 13 and Isaiah 34). God's judgments were often portrayed as symbolic upheavals in the heavens and the earth!

Arguy, to whom is Jesus speaking in Matthew 24:23-24? Is He not speaking directly to His disciples? It is THEY whom He warned of coming false Christs in THEIR day. THEY were not to believe it; THEY were not to go out!

What does John clearly say in 1 John 2:18? Whom is he addressing? He is speaking to "Little children" or "My little children" (see 2:1). He is speaking to his brethren of his day! Notice 2:7--"Brethren." It is to those of his generation that he said--"Little children, IT IS THE LAST HOUR--they were in the last hour of the last days! THEY had heard that Antichrist was coming and even then, at the time of John's writing, there were already many antichrists on the scene. It was because of those antichrists that THEY (John and his contemporaries) were to know that it was then the last hour! What else does John tell THEM? He tells them--his "little children"--to abide in Christ so that when He appeared, John and THEY would have confidence and not be ashamed AT HIS COMING!

What about 2 Timothy 3:1-5? What is the CONTEXT of Paul's words?
All the types of people Timothy spoke of who would come in the last days were already there at THAT time. Paul tells Timothy to turn away from such. They resist the truth and are men of corrupt minds. In contrast to those very people of THAT day, Timothy carefully followed Paul's doctrine. Again, they were THEN in the last days (see Heb. 1 and Acts 2).

Daniel 12:4 (TLB makes me shuddered--horrible "translation" here). The words to Daniel are paralleled by Jesus in Matthew 24. The time of trouble of the Jewish Wars WAS such as never was nor ever shall be. Read Josephus concerning the astrocities of that time! Jesus' words in Matthew 24 are in the context of His declaration "THIS generation will by no means pass away till ALL these things take place." Daniel was told TO seal up the words of the prophecy because the time for fulfillment was far off--John, however, was to NOT seal up the words because the time was NEAR! The time frame for the words of John's prophecy is clearly laid out in Revelation 1:1, 3; 22:6, 10). He was shown those things which were in HIS day to SHORTLY take place because the time was THEN near!

Luke 21:25, 26--move on to verse 28. Jesus told those disciples standing right there with Him that when THEY saw all these things begin to happen, THEY were to look up and lift up THEIR heads because THEIR salvation drew near! Again, He was to come in THAT generation (Luke 21:32). Continue on. Verse 34--THEY were told to take heed lest THEIR hearts were weighed down and that DAY came upon THEM unexpectedly. THEY were told to watch and pray!

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3. What about first 4? Paul and his brethren of his day were not like those to whom Christ would come as a thief. THEY were sons of light and sons of the day. THEY were to watch and be sober!

These Scripture passages are not first and foremost about us! In their contexts, they deal with issues of that first-century world and not of our world. If WE hear of wars and rumors of wars, they are NOT those wars and rumors of wars. If WE hear of earthquakes and famines and pestilences, they are not THOSE earthquakes and famines and pestilences.
We must acknowledge the context.

Sorry, I just noticed that your post is old. I hope you're still around, arguy!

Sincerely, Preterist

Last edited by Preterist; 04-14-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelievedoyou? View Post
I believe do you? Times are short and he is coming soon so get ready the signs of global currency are showing how close we are thank god borack obama denounced global currency because one that comes in to play and when a one world government comes into play people left behind on the earth will be in trouble . I reccomend that you watch the judgement video to see how worse times could get and how the antichrist munipulates things there is a series of thes videos i reccomend you watch these videos.
Greetings ibelievedoyou?--how are you using the words "short" and "soon?" John was shown the things which were to "shortly take place." Does your "short" and the Revelation's "shortly" mean the same thing? Should I wonder what you mean when you say "times are short" whether you really mean "short" or whether you mean a long time from now. What about "soon?" You say He is coming "soon." James said the same thing--"The coming of the Lord is at hand" (James 5:8). Jesus said "Behold, I am coming soon" (Rev. 22). Does your "soon" really mean "soon" while the Bible's "soon" means later--much later? When you use time words, you expect your reader to understand what you mean by them. So did God! He used time indicators throughout the NT so that we would understand that the Lord was coming soon in THAT day. -

Preterist

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM

177 posts, read 381,520 times
that will be number one

Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
Now that I have your attention... I was thinking, what if the world knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus Christ was coming back to the physical world tomorrow at 3pm... What would you do?

1) If you're a believer in Christ and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, would you rejoice and try to convince loved ones to accept Him, before he returns?

2) If you're an Atheist, would you continue with your belief that Jesus is fake, and God simply doesn't exist, or would you repent and accept Him as your Lord and Savior?

Please answer one of the two questions above, and also, please respond honestly. I'm just wandering...

My answer is to question #1.

I am a believer in Christ, and I've accepted Him as my Lord and Savior, so if we knew Jesus' return was tomorrow at 3pm. I would nag my unbelieving family and friends to accept Him, and with the news of his return, I am SURE they'd be receptive and falling to their faces repenting!

So, what about you?
If I knew that God was coming in that time, I would be exited, but sad for the people who refuse to believe. But I would try to bring others who are lost to God before it was to late.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
Dear friends,
Please don't mind me changing the subject for just a second!. I realize that atheists are looking for proof. I have two suggestions. First, consider this: as you offer a challenge to God to prove himself to you, he offers you a challenge in return. You say to him "show me you exist and I will believe", he says, "believe and I will show you that I exist!"

I asked God for 40 years to show me he existed and guess what, he never answered me!

Second, there is a reformed atheist named Lee Strobel who used to be, and is impart, still a lawyer/journalist.

Second, there is a reformed evangelist called Bart Erhman who used to teach at Christian colleges.

He researched Christianity and came to the conclusion that there was so much evidence in favor of it that he would be foolish not to believe.

His research led him to question and then finally discard belief in God, because there was so much evidence against the God of the Bible that he found it foolish to continue belief.

He has written the Case for Christ as well as other books, if you don't want to start in the Bible start there.

He has written Misquoting Jesus and has a new book out about suffering called God's Problem.

There have been many very intelligent and scientifically minded atheists who have turned to Christ in the midst of trying to disprove that he exists!

There are many who were fanatical evangelists who have turned away from a belief in God while trying to prove he exists.

That is how God works, he has an amazing sense of humor!

That is how logic and rational thought work, and you dont need a sense of humor to understand that, although a sense of humour is a good thing butI dont ever recall a Scripture which said that God ever laughed.

GodBless you all in the name of our dear Lord Jesus Christ!

Bless you all in the name of a good dish of oatmeal.... I know for a fact that oatmeal is very good for you, far better than the experience I had with God.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Ringwielder, there is a verse that says that God laughed, Psalm 59:8 and in my opinion, it doesn't sound like you ever had an experience with God.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Jesus video

Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Now that I have your attention... I was thinking, what if the world knew without a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus Christ was coming back to the physical world tomorrow at 3pm... What would you do?

1) If you're a believer in Christ and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, would you rejoice and try to convince loved ones to accept Him, before he returns?

2) If you're an Atheist, would you continue with your belief that Jesus is fake, and God simply doesn't exist, or would you repent and accept Him as your Lord and Savior?

Please answer one of the two questions above, and also, please respond honestly. I'm just wandering...

My answer is to question #1.

I am a believer in Christ, and I've accepted Him as my Lord and Savior, so if we knew Jesus' return was tomorrow at 3pm. I would nag my unbelieving family and friends to accept Him, and with the news of his return, I am SURE they'd be receptive and falling to their faces repenting!

So, what about you?
Does anyone question anything? How would you know the arrival is really going to happen? What would be your credible source for this information?
Many people have been predicting the return of Jesus for years. Maybe you believe them all.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 AM

74 posts, read 126,878 times
Quote:
So, what about you?
It is a regressive and infantile question.

It's kind of like having the carrot right in front of your face. You are so concerned with chasing the carrot that you are blind to your actions and you stop thinking. Be good boys and girls and you will spend eternity in a mansion in the sky with streets of gold. Like Freud said, " Religion is a childlike neurosis".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality