U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 2,813,050 times
Reputation: 221

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I'm not sure what you are missing; the highlighted portion of your post is the part KC appears to disagree with you about. In your original post, you seem to be saying that souls exist because "everyone else knows". KC points out that popular beliefs are not necessarily true. KC further makes the point that your religion is less popular than no religion; using your logic, Mormon beliefs are not true because they are less popular. If you were making a different point, you failed to make it clear.

I take issue with your statement that 'everyone' knows; you should not assume that everyone believes in spirits. Your argument is too easily refuted by using overly broad language. I don't believe in spirits; your statement is now refuted.
Fair enough. Perhaps I was too loosely referring to the difference between atheists and those who believe in God and life after death, and equating that with a belief in the human spirit. It seems logical though that if there is life after death there is something more (call it what you will) to human beings than that which dies and disintegrates at death.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,492,612 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Fair enough. Perhaps I was too loosely referring to the difference between atheists and those who believe in God and life after death, and equating that with a belief in the human spirit. It seems logical though that if there is life after death there is something more (call it what you will) to human beings than that which dies and disintegrates at death.
I am someone who believes in reincarnation, a lasting Spirit, and various heavens.

And yet there is no proof, scientific, philosophical, theosophical, or "logical" that you could use that would convince me that those concerns are a fact.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 03:18 PM
 
66 posts, read 78,474 times
Reputation: 18
Not sure I'd call it a plague but it is sad that people waste time harassing people that believe in things they dont
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Western NC
651 posts, read 1,182,989 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
Not sure I'd call it a plague but it is sad that people waste time harassing people that believe in things they dont
How are you being harassed? Have atheists shown up on your door step to share their 'good news' with you? Have you been approached in the street by an atheist asking about your beliefs? Have you found atheist tracts left on your front porch?

I've never known atheists to harass people. However, I've had religious people harass me in the manner mentioned above.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
29,475 posts, read 28,737,032 times
Reputation: 11884
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
Not sure I'd call it a plague but it is sad that people waste time harassing people that believe in things they dont
I have never seen an atheist harass anyone, have you? Criticizing ones beliefs is not harassment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
 
66 posts, read 78,474 times
Reputation: 18
I've seen atheists troll religious message boards and strip monuments from parks and put signs on buses and generally attack relgion wherever they can.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
29,475 posts, read 28,737,032 times
Reputation: 11884
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
I've seen atheists troll religious message boards and strip monuments from parks and put signs on buses and generally attack relgion wherever they can.
Yeah right, and I suppose you have never seen a religious sign on buses, billboards or on public property, or have ever seen a bad word said about atheists on message boards....Give me a break...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 04:11 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 8,760,682 times
Reputation: 3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
I've seen atheists troll religious message boards and strip monuments from parks and put signs on buses and generally attack relgion wherever they can.
Religious displays of any sort do not belong in or on government-owned property, period. Too bad so sad that setting things right is so offensive to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,492,612 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
I've seen atheists troll religious message boards and strip monuments from parks and put signs on buses and generally attack relgion wherever they can.
Firstly, tally up the number of Christian only forums and websites, and their messages as well that include explicit directions on just how to harrase people.

Next, add up the Christian magazines, television and radio shows and channels/stations, and the number of Christian schools for general, higher, and professional levels of education. Add to above.

Next, add up the number of Christians who actively prostylize, Evangicals, Mormons, JW's, etc. Add to the above tally.

Now, do the same for the atheists.

After comparing the "David and Goliath" difference in numbers, get back to us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 21,029,966 times
Reputation: 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
How are you being harassed? Have atheists shown up on your door step to share their 'good news' with you? Have you been approached in the street by an atheist asking about your beliefs? Have you found atheist tracts left on your front porch?

I've never known atheists to harass people. However, I've had religious people harass me in the manner mentioned above.
When he was still atheist/non-theist Ted Turner would mock and insult people for getting ashes on their forehead for Ash Wednesday. Although the fact that Turner now believes in some kind of God could imply his past obnoxiousness was some kind of insecurity.

Still I think if you go to any of your larger secular colleges in the US, Canada, or UK you'll find someone trying to advance atheism or some philosophy that has atheism as a necessary element. Atheists not going "door to door" is not too meaningful as relatively few denominations do that these days. The closest I can think of in my church is this monk who would throw holy cards out of his car like some will throw streamers or bouquets. And to be honest if atheists did throw little "atheist cards" out their window I'm not sure I'd care too much, except for the littering aspect.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top