U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,186,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post

These are great times to be alive and aware.

Well, at least we can agree on this much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM

65 posts, read 77,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
First we saw the push from the archbishop in Melbourne claiming the press was slandering the Catholic Church, but after reading the article I could see nothing but the truth. Today I see Archbishop Dolan in New York attaching the press for reporting what again looks like the truth. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2009/11/are-the-mainstream-media-anti-catholic/1 )
It seems strange two Archbishops on opposite ends of the planet would come up with similar complaints. I suspect the hand of the Vatican is pushing the dirt under the carpet and needs help to get the press to back off. They are offended when the press writes about the inquisition, condoms, oppression of women, pedophile priest, obsession with sex, and the fact that the press donít attach other groups such as African Americans, Hebrews, or Islam. (how is that for a good neighbor)
I never have liked the Times, but I think I might go buy a copy to show my support for freedom of the press.
Perhaps the 2 different bishops have access to the same internet like you and are able to read what the media is saying?

Just a thought.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,169,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
Perhaps the 2 different bishops have access to the same internet like you and are able to read what the media is saying?

Just a thought.
It is possible they know how to use the internet, and I would hope they could read, but seeing who Dolan is attacking makes me wonder. The Times Columnist Archbishop Dolan is attaching is Maureen Dowd. It has to be hard to make points for the Church when the person you are questioning is first a Catholic, and than the Winner of a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

65 posts, read 77,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It is possible they know how to use the internet, and I would hope they could read, but seeing who Dolan is attacking makes me wonder. The Times Columnist Archbishop Dolan is attaching is Maureen Dowd. It has to be hard to make points for the Church when the person you are questioning is first a Catholic, and than the Winner of a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary.

I'd be willing to buy into the idea that there is a newsletter that was circulated that mentioned Dowd....that could happen.

Or, on the other hand, she's well-known for being quite liberal. Perhaps in this big world, a big denomination like the catholic church had 2 guys that actually read her commentary.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,169,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
I'd be willing to buy into the idea that there is a newsletter that was circulated that mentioned Dowd....that could happen.

Or, on the other hand, she's well-known for being quite liberal. Perhaps in this big world, a big denomination like the catholic church had 2 guys that actually read her commentary.
Possible, but with one attacking the Melbourne paper, and the other attacking the Times, I suspect it is the Vatican calling the punches not the Archbishops. The real test will be to see if other high level Catholics managers attack the press in the next weeks.

Maureen Dolan may be liberal, but she is known for telling it like it is. (Something new for the Times.). I would have thought Dolan would have gone after someone without a history of telling the truth regardless of who it hurt, but than again he may be taking his orders from someone who had a grudge against her. Seems she did mention the Popeís membership in Hitlerís youth movement. That might have P___ him off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality