Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:50 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
One for me is the story of Lot. Supposedly, he is the only man righteous enough for God to save in Sodom. Yet, he offered his two daughters to be raped by a crowd, then later gets drunk and empregnates both on two seperate occations.
Actually if the story told with Lot being a hero of the faith and living out his days in glory then you would be here saying, see that is a clear example of whitewashed mythological fiction. The Bible holds many consistent truths and one of them is that we all suck. We all fail God and fall into sinful shameful acts. Every "hero" in the Bible is shown in their true shameful state. Including Lot. Including Abraham. Even King David. No hiding in the Bible. And that smacks of a work of truth, not fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Actually if the story told with Lot being a hero of the faith and living out his days in glory then you would be here saying, see that is a clear example of whitewashed mythological fiction. The Bible holds many consistent truths and one of them is that we all suck. We all fail God and fall into sinful shameful acts. Every "hero" in the Bible is shown in their true shameful state. Including Lot. Including Abraham. Even King David. No hiding in the Bible. And that smacks of a work of truth, not fiction.
Apologetics at its finest. And what of your gods own sanction of genocide, slavery and rape?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:33 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Apologetics at its finest. And what of your gods own sanction of genocide, slavery and rape?
The evening news reports on rape and murder. So I guess that means they sanction and approve of that, right? That's all the Bible is doing. Reporting on what actually happened.

Show me a single verse where God directly says He approves of slavery and rape. Genocide doesn't count because the Creator has every right to back the gift of life especially if that gift is causing harm.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Reporting on what actually happened.
See that's the part we consider "absurd". You have never presented a SHRED of evidence that the majority of events, especially the ones that appear to contradict the laws of physics and biology, "actually happened".

What the Bible appears to be is a group of fiction stories without any evidence they actually happened, set against a backdrop of the real world with some real people and locations and events.

But most fiction is like that. If you read any work of modern fiction..... lets say the Bourne Identity.... you will find the main story and events are fictional.... but set against a backdrop of real world events, places and people. You will find most of the places mentioned, events mentioned, politicians and people named.... are all real events and real things.

The places Bourne visits are real. The politicians in power during his story are real. The political events his story are set as a back drop against are real. Even the public transport he takes and the price of the tickets he pays for in the book.... all entirely real and accurate.

But NONE of this is evidence that he or his events actually happened. And like the Bible..... 2000 years from now there is no reason any historian should take the reality of the backdrop of his story as evidence the actual story describes real events.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
apologetics is the rational stance in these matters. all or nothing thinking is a red flag for personality disorder.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I'm still gobsmacked by the realization there are adults walking around today who believe the stories of Adam and Eve and Noah et al actually happened.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
The evening news reports on rape and murder. So I guess that means they sanction and approve of that, right? That's all the Bible is doing. Reporting on what actually happened.

Show me a single verse where God directly says He approves of slavery and rape. Genocide doesn't count because the Creator has every right to back the gift of life especially if that gift is causing harm.
Numbers 31: 15-18

15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. 16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm still gobsmacked by the realization there are adults walking around today who believe the stories of Adam and Eve and Noah et al actually happened.
Don't fret..."Science" has made pills to help you cope.
Those that bother you so, so much are the largest group of all...and have the greatest influence on this world. That's a fact.
Get some of that "medicine"!

Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Humanism like this thread which rejects God and rejects people who Worship the living God , is a hopeless lifestyle , and very poor discerned spiritually ........... Most people who become humanist comes from people who never tried to become a Christians and never was baptized by the Holy Spirit , because if people ever were baptized by the spirit of God then they would never be a humanist in their life time as the truth of Christ would haunt them all they lives if they fell away from Jesus

Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Humanism like this thread which rejects God and rejects people who Worship the living God , is a hopeless lifestyle ...
Indeed? I am glad you informed me that I must be depressed and suicidal. I would never have known!
Quote:
... and very poor discerned spiritually ...
It's true that I don't hear voices whispering in my ear.
Quote:
........ Most people who become humanist comes from people who never tried to become a Christians
This is most interesting. Where did you learn this from? References please.
Quote:
and never was baptized by the Holy Spirit , because if people ever were baptized by the spirit of God then they would never be a humanist in their life time as the truth of Christ would haunt them all they lives if they fell away from Jesus
I have met people who (1) experienced the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, (2) fell away from the faith and (3) aren't haunted in the least. How do you explain that?

Oh, let me guess .. they didn't REALLY experience the Baptism, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality