Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,795,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingpinl View Post
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.

Am i the only one who see this?
What you are in fact seeing is a little thing called "reaping what you sow". Perhaps you've heard of the concept..

And it is loooong overdue.

Christians have been arrogant, intolerant and uneducated for centuries. The "bully on the playground" that is Christianity is no longer the big dog he once was, is finally in a position to get some come-uppance, and he doesn't like it. He then runs home crying to mommy that he's being "persecuted" by the meanies (liberals, freethinkers, atheists, and other educated folks) who won't let him get away with his shenanigans any longer.

The other religions you speak of aren't on a crusade in this country to have their outdated beliefs legislated into our laws, to strip citizens of their civil rights, impose their prayers on everyone and impose their religious symbols in our public buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,889,153 times
I only "demonize" the ones that deserve it. Every theory or hypothesis, including Christianity's large-scale myth, deserves it's day in the cold hard light of rational evaluation, open, honest debate and conclusion.

Under those conditions, equally applied to atheism, Islam, Christianity or Buddhism, only one comes out with top marks and any degree of respectability. The so-called evidence for the others is either defective, deflective or arrogant.

After all, when the only arguments for, let's say, Christianity, are a tiresome re-hash of things already thoroughly debunked, or another set of lies are officially issued by those pathological prevaricators at the "Answers in Genesis" or "The Creation Institute" websites, yes, our responses tend to be a tad bit predictable. Silly arguments from Christians deserve aggressive, repetitive answers from honest atheists.

BTW, the Muslims are not nearly do adamant as the Christians. They seem only capable of re-quoting passages from the Qu'Ran, often more or less indecipherable. Christians try to out-logic the atheist arguments but forget to include the logic part.

And "That's the way it is, Friday Nov. 6, 2009."

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,495,779 times
I think you confuse what goes on on this discussion board with real life. In real life, religion comes up rarely, if at all in my day-to-day life. (As an aside: Isn't is interesting for how important people claim that religion is to them in their lives, you would think it would come up more than it does, no?)

Anyway, I debunk em' as I see em....I just don't see it all that often in the real world. Here on a discussion board focused solely on religion, it comes up a bit more (like every thread). I figure is you want to bring it for discussion on public forum, you want opinions on all sides. Don't think I go around trying to nail people on their religious beliefs in my daily life...truthfully, I don't care all that much.

Now, trying to force something on me and I'm not going to be so ambivalent!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,463,753 times
Quote:
In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs BUT when any of that 'everyone' believes they can impose that belief on me or our society in the form of laws and restrictions, then I have a real big problem with the believer and their agenda(s).

Living in the bible belt of the US, that means the vast majority of those attempting to impose their beliefs on me directly or indirectly, are indeed christers, thus the focus of my outrage is on those who annoy me the most.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

651 posts, read 1,414,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Anyone calling Christians uneducated need to scan their Ph.D certificate and post it, care to prove how they are smarter than Stephen Hawking.
Stephen Hawking is not a christian.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,003,955 times
Quote:
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

Am i the only one who see this?
I don't demonize christians although it's interesting that you say that christians are so demonized by atheists. Fundamentalist christians always malign atheists and atheism. An example of this is your 'can you live without god' thread. If you expect atheists to respect you, then you also can't go around perpetuating the myth that atheists can only live meaningless, hopeless immoral lives or the plethora of other nonsensical things that fundies say about atheists.. All that does is propagate the stereotype of the ignorant nonthinking believer. The reason that you hear atheists talk about christianity more than any other religion is because reformed/fundamentalist christians are the most vocal about their prejudices.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,047,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Stephen Hawking is not a christian.
Even if he were, we are talking about averages here, not individuals...On average Christians have lower IQs and less education than atheists. That is not to say that there are no bright Christians, or no dim atheists.

The Op complains about Atheists bashing Christians, but have you seen his atheist bashing thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...thout-god.html

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,489,896 times
Quote:
Bollux

You guys are christian atheists. Your acceptance of other religions is an exercise of your multi-cultural championhood.

The eloquent defence will begin now.

That's a lie.

(How's is that for an eloquent defense?)

One need look no further than this sub-forum to see that atheist respond the same way to islam as they do to Christianity.

For example:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10805754-post76.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
[discussing Islam]
You have a sick, twisted, evil religion.

And yes, we know your religion is hateful and homophobic. That was one of the points. Its one of the reason modern people reject Islam.
or
http://www.city-data.com/forum/9183289-post33.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
True, but unfortunately, Islam is even worse than Christianity in terms of promoting liberal secular democracies and rational skeptical inquery.

To my knowledge, Islam is the only religion that's reformation led to a more radical, less tolerant religion. The rest went through their reformations and counter-reformations and basically ended up agreeing to ignore all the really harsh parts of their religion. Islam decide to promote the very worst of itself as it's leading appeal.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,489,896 times
Quote:
Anyone calling Christians uneducated need to scan their Ph.D certificate and post it, care to prove how they are smarter than Stephen Hawking.
There are lots of studies on this issue, and it's a well known fact that religious people tend to be less educated than atheist. Not that you, or any individual Christian is less educated than every single atheist. But there is a well known correlation between atheism and education level.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,047,088 times
Quote:
You too, Brutus
Do you ever have anything thoughtful to say? Almost every one of your posts are either thinly veiled insults, or lecherous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality