Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley 777 View Post
I'm doing an assignment on God and his existence, can anyone give me some arguments on why he exists? This is quite important. I'm new to this site so I don't know if I have done this right.
Welcome Stanley! You have managed to post a reply, but I'm not sure if it is on a thread that you want it to be on. Are you asking about God in regards to Mormon teachings versus mainstream Christianity? If not, you should go back out to the Religion and Philosophy page and choose the "New Thread" option. Then you can title it what you want and ask your question again. It would attract the people you desire to answer the question.

Also, just so you know, be ready to get back every answer in the spectrum! We have athiests, christians, mormons, muslims, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. You will likely get quite different answers from everyone. Good luck with your assignment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,617 times
i got my authority by sending $29.95 to the universal life church in california

Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 PM

258 posts, read 790,326 times
What do you mean by "mainsteam Christian questions?"

I would like to know why, if GODS word says "ALL Scripture is inspired by God and is beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be FULLY COMPETENT, COMPLETELY EQUIPPED for EVERY good work," LDS' feel they need extra texts (the book of Mormon) to be fully competent and completely equipped?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post

I would like to know why, if GODS word says "ALL Scripture is inspired by God and is beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be FULLY COMPETENT, COMPLETELY EQUIPPED for EVERY good work," LDS' feel they need extra texts (the book of Mormon) to be fully competent and completely equipped?
If 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is all that is read, it could appear as you say. However 2 verses earlier Paul says to Timothy " You must keep to what you have been taught and know to be true, remember who your teachers were, and how since you were a child, you have known the holy scriptures..."

The canon of the NEW TESTAMENT did not yet exist.

Also the operative term here may be "beneficial" or in another translation "useful". I don't see that it says scripture is the ONLY tool for teaching etc...

After all, Timothy didn't have it. Whatever he had to proclaim the "good news" was not yet "scripture", except of course for the OLD TESTAMENT.

Last edited by Oakback; 09-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: spelling,.... again

Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post

The LDS believe the Book of Mormon to be a divinely inspired text, and therefore it fits under the definition of “all scripture.”

Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
The LDS believe the Book of Mormon to be a divinely inspired text, and therefore it fits under the definition of “all scripture.”
Ok?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I converted from the Methodist Church to the Latter Day Saint Church, primarily because I could not find what I was looking for in the so-called mainstream Christian denominations. More often than not, Ministers would tell me that the answers I sought were unknown, and I would just need to exercise faith. Now, I agree that all things are not revealed, and the exercise of faith is absolutely necessary, but many of my questions were doctrinal, and I couldn’t get any answers. Well, anyhow, when I had all of these questions, the Internet didn’t exist, so I am not sure my response base was sufficiently broad to find what I was looking for. With this in mind, here goes my first question:

Where do Ministers, Pastors, or Priest get their authority to do what they do?
The authority of the all true believers comes from Jesus, Christ. This is inclusive of all those who believe in Jesus no matter their calling.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,456 times
Our callings and authority come from Christ Himself. Everyone has a calling to share the gospel itself but we all have a special calling related to 1 Corinthians 12:28 or Ephesians 4:11. Not all will be pastors, teachers, propehts, etc. but we have gifts given by the Holy Spirit which enable us to work together in unity within the body of Christ.

My wife and I have a gift of music which we are hoping to use to bless others with and further the kingdom of God in this way. We have to remember that we all have a calling to spread His Word to others though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality