Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:08 PM

96 posts, read 275,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello, I have always been a firm believer of God, but I am now wondering if there is a God. The reason for this is, I have prayed many of times, for help in quitting smoking, and I really want to give up the addiction.
I have prayed for guidance in where to move to, along with what ever comes up, maybe I am doing it wrong or maybe I am to stupid to notice what he is telling me, but I feel like my prayers go unanswered.
I don't know if it is just me or if anyone else out there feels the same way, if anyone can help me get my beliefs back, so that I have something to look forward to when I pray, I would be ever so greatful, because right now I feel at a lose. Thanks ahead of time.
YORKIE,,, GOD SAID NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Yorkie, I hope I am not wrong, but I have a little feeling that you had a good say today. I pray that I am right. I just hoped you were able to enjoy the saywith the kids at the school outing, and that you got to enjoy your pt this evening. I pray that your smoke craving was a little less today. Love you

Old 05-25-2007, 12:35 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Yorkie, I hope I am not wrong, but I have a little feeling that you had a good say today. I pray that I am right. I just hoped you were able to enjoy the saywith the kids at the school outing, and that you got to enjoy your pt this evening. I pray that your smoke craving was a little less today. Love you
Yes to all of the above, I had fun with the kids, we got back at 6:00pm so it was a long day, as soon as I got back I was able to pick up my PT Cruiser and went shopping to pick up things we needed for our trip on Monday, just so all of you know, I will not be on for about a week starting on Monday, I will be heading to Colorado to look at housing and I don't plan on returning until I get a place lined up.
I will be staying smoke free, and enjoying my drive out there in my PT Cruiser, I will of course miss all of you for helping me stay smoke free for this long, and I won't let you down, or myself for all that matters. I hope to give you all good news once I get back.
I will be on everyday through Sunday, so if you need to get in touch with me before I go, you can pm me or leave me something here and I will get it. Thank you all for being my greatest supporters ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello, I have always been a firm believer of God, but I am now wondering if there is a God. The reason for this is, I have prayed many of times, for help in quitting smoking, and I really want to give up the addiction.
I have prayed for guidance in where to move to, along with what ever comes up, maybe I am doing it wrong or maybe I am to stupid to notice what he is telling me, but I feel like my prayers go unanswered.
I don't know if it is just me or if anyone else out there feels the same way, if anyone can help me get my beliefs back, so that I have something to look forward to when I pray, I would be ever so greatful, because right now I feel at a lose. Thanks ahead of time.

Well hello there!

I just wanted to share with you that I too struggled with quitting smoking for years! I had tried quitting by my own accord so many times, and sometimes I felt as if I "nipped it in the butt", but only to find myself smoking like a train 2-3 months later! It was such a struggle for me.

Once my little girl went into the hospital fighting for her own life, I found myself asking the question, why am I out here smoking when my little one is in there holding on to dear life??? I made up my mind that day that whatever it was hindering me, be in consciously or subconsciously I was going to do whatever it took to quit....for good!

Now let me tell you, that I did not smoke anymore the many months she was in the hospital....all I did was stay right by her side day and night. I did eat quite a bit though and packed on some pounds but at least I was breathing a little better...lol! Anyway, when we finally got to bring her home and I was able to leave the house and go back to school, I found myself smoking....once again, with my peers! Oh, the shame I felt. I had prayed and prayed asking God to please help me quit smoking, and then here I am.....back on them!

How could this be? I asked God, "weren't you listening?" and I began to get frustrated and of course, all it takes is something as simple as this to make me start questioning my faith, and questioning if He was there! Even after all He did for me, I still questioned. I think that is something that all Christians go through, after all, were only human. We are not perfect as Christ was, and I believe the Lord understands that. I had to get myself back on track though, and continue to pray about it, being persistent about it. I started praying things like, "Lord, will you make me sick to my stomach when I take a puff?" and "I would like it to taste absolutely terrible to me when I take a drag!" I just had to keep on praying and stay confident and sure in the Lord that He was going to provide for me a way! One day, I was on my way to work a few weeks later, and I pulled out a cig and lit it, I took a couple of puffs and I felt sick! It left such an awful taste in my mouth as well! Just what I had asked for....LOL!

I threw the rest out the window and never smoked again! As I continued driving, I heard that Small, Still Voice say to me, "I love you, and I will never fail you." I smiled and felt peace within me. God will never abandon you, Yorkie_mom, but sometimes I think He may want us to be persistent and abide in Him, staying assured that He is going to come to our rescue. Sometimes, I think, He just wants us to seek after Him a little more, and pursue Him, and in doing so, we will find ourselves even closer and more intimate in our relationship with Him if you go after it and allow it! Just hang in there girl! Find out what the Lord is urging you to do, seek Him more. Oh, btw, this was in 2004, and I've been smoke-free since and have not even craved one! I hope this helps you!
*BIG HUGS*

~LuLu

Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Yorkie Mom
This may sound odd coming from me, since I do not believe in God (strongly atheist), but I also support others' decisions to believe as they do. So...I was going to ask whether you've ever read the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel? If not, it might be something to read.

It is about Mr. Wiesel, who is to this day a strong believer in God, and his personal experience going through Auschwitz (his father, who was there with him, died there).

He is Jewish, not Christian, but anyway, although I don'tbelieve in God, I was really struck how someone who went through everything he did, still had and has a strong belief in God. If God wasn't answering his prayers, in the midst of the Holocaust, you might think he'd abandon his faith,but he (and many others) did not.

Just thought it might be able to put your requests/faith into perspective and see how having prayers not answered doesn't always relate to loss of faith.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 PM

LuLu108, thank you for your support, and your story. I guess after posting this, I realized that God is there, but I have to also help with my addiction, he has been helping me stay strong.
God has also helped me with not only getting past this last week of being smoke free, but also on getting my new car, getting my house cleaned up and put on the market today. Making it out on my walks everyday, and I hope he will be there for me once I get out to Colorado in helping me find my new home.
I have had a very busy life in the past few months, you can read about it in the relationship thread on ready to spread my wings, it give a better detail of all the bridges I have crossed and will continue to cross over on my path to freedom.
I really want to thank everyone for being a very big and wonderful, strong and powerful help in all my struggles with my life. I will adopt you all as my family and get rid of all the old ones, as they don't know what it is like to treat others with respect. I hope some day I will be able to repay each and everyone of you for being here for me during this hard times, you are all great!!!!
I also see that my thread got hijacked while I was away today, if this happens again, please get ahold of one of us Mods so that we can get it taken care of. I will be posting until Sunday night, then you won't here from me until I get back from my trip. Say a prayer for me that I will be able to find my house that I deserve, and can live happily at. thanks you all, and have a good night and weekend. Yorkie (Dorene)

Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Yorkie Mom
This may sound odd coming from me, since I do not believe in God (strongly atheist), but I also support others' decisions to believe as they do. So...I was going to ask whether you've ever read the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel? If not, it might be something to read.

It is about Mr. Wiesel, who is to this day a strong believer in God, and his personal experience going through Auschwitz (his father, who was there with him, died there).

He is Jewish, not Christian, but anyway, although I don'tbelieve in God, I was really struck how someone who went through everything he did, still had and has a strong belief in God. If God wasn't answering his prayers, in the midst of the Holocaust, you might think he'd abandon his faith,but he (and many others) did not.

Just thought it might be able to put your requests/faith into perspective and see how having prayers not answered doesn't always relate to loss of faith.
I want to say thank you for your post. Even though you are not a firm believer, you still give people their right to choose. It takes special people like you to be able to post good things in this site, and I for one am so very thankful that you took the time to do it gracefully. Thank you!!!!! Yorkie P.S. I haven't read that book but I will be sure to check into it.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Yorkie, and what a hijack it was. I was on and his posts started popping up in every religion thread ..when they showed up in mo's memorial and our prayer thread, I was furious and started neg. reping. I really didn't realize at first, and don't know what to think but ,mad as I was, I started sending him prayers. I am ashamed of that because I was feeding his anger. It was so wierd, but I had just posted my first public prayer ever..

Enough of that, I just dropped by for my daily hug and encouragement to you. I hope the ole devil nicotine craving is getting farther away..Good luck on your house hunting trip, and hope it is a safe one

Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 AM

You did good blue62, I read all the post that were wrote, and I guess it was him/her who had the problem. I am smoke free and it does get a little easier each day, and now that I made it a week I don't want to go back.
Thanks for the hug, and I hope that my house hunting goes well, because everything else has been falling into place, so I am a firm believer as far as the power of prayer, you guys are the best.
I will miss being gone from here for a week, I wish I had a lab top to take along with me, it will be hard to stay away from this site.
I hope you have a good holiday weekend, and everything is going great in your life. I just hope now with all the praying you all have been doing will help me in finding the perfect house. I will make sure I report any news as soon as I can. Thanks again. Yorkie

Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times
Yorkie_mom,

You are very welcome! I will definitely check out your post on the Relationship forum! I am so happy to hear that you are getting through all this smoke-free! Hooray!!!!!!!
I know that you will have everything come together when you move. You will find your house and you will settle in nicely, you will make new friends and I can't wait to hear about your life in Colorado! I know God will be with you no matter where you go. I know I will be praying for you and I am sure everyone else here will be too!
Will miss you here but have a wonderful trip!
*HUGS*

LuLu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality