Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Brilliant!! He dismisses links such as Atlas travel, various encyclopaedias, Lebanon Tourism, The Embassy of Lebanon etc ....and then quotes the words of "a Jewish traveller". Priceless!! Go read all the links again mate. Ancient Tyre lies BENEATH the modern city.

WRONG! He laid siege to the island city for 13 years and failed to enter it.

"At this time, the main part of Tyre was an island city about a mile off the coast of what is now Lebanon. There were smaller villages on the mainland, but the city itself was an offshore seaport. Because of its location, it could be easily defended and could be re-supplied from the sea."

"We know from other historical records, including the Jewish historian Josephus Flavius, that Nebuchadnezzar did, indeed, take and destroy the mainland part of the city, and then lay siege to the island city of Tyre. However, the Babylonian army was a land based army with no ships, which made it very difficult to lay siege effectively to an island fortress that had an armada of ships at its disposal. Nebuchadnezzar spent 13 years in the siege of Tyre and was never able to take the city. He finally abandoned the attempt sometime in 573/572 and put his resources into the invasion of Egypt, having already destroyed the Israelite stronghold in Jerusalem."

.....and:

"29:17 In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me: 29:18 "Son of man, Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon made his army labor hard against Tyre; every head was made bald and every shoulder was rubbed bare; yet neither he nor his army got anything from Tyre to pay for the labor that he had performed against it. 29:19 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will give the land of Egypt to Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall carry off its wealth and despoil it and plunder it; and it shall be the wages for his army. 29:20 I have given him the land of Egypt as his recompense for which he labored, because they worked for me, says the Lord GOD.

"Here, Ezekiel rather frankly acknowledges Nebuchadnezzar’s failure to take Tyre even though he labored hard trying to do so (13 years!). So Ezekiel, seemingly without any embarrassment at the failure of his original prophecy, simply changed it after the fact to fit the historical situation as it had actually unfolded."

Ezekiel and the Oracles against Tyre (http://www.crivoice.org/ezekieltyre.html - broken link)

You should pay attention to the Christian website above Campbell which looks at the Tyre prophecy. You should pay particular attention to the sentence that says:

"The problem is that very little of this actually came to pass! In fact, it badly missed how history actually unfolded."

The undisputed facts of history tell us that Nebby destroyed the mainland residential suburbs of Tyre then laid siege to the city proper on the island. He laid siege to it for 13 years and failed to break it.You can post your apologetic drivel until the cows come home Campbell but nothing, NOTHING you present will change what actually happened....sorry about that!

BTW old chap. From your beloved Encyclopaedia Britannica:

"For much of the 8th and 7th centuries bc the town was subject to Assyria, and in 585–573 it successfully withstood a prolonged siege by the Babylonian king Nebuchadrezzar II."

AND:

"Excavations have uncovered remains of the Greco-Roman, Crusader, Arab, and Byzantine civilizations, but most of the remains of the Phoenician period lie beneath the present town."
Tyre (town and historical site, Lebanon) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

So you see Campbell old boy. Nebby did NOT take the island city after a 13 year siege and ancient Tyre lies BENEATH the modern city.

I assume, now that the site you have been desperately citing and clinging to (Encyclopaedia Britannica) destroys your claim....it will now be dismissed as unworthy?

How did Nebuchadnezzar lay seige to the island city of Tyre, when it is common knowledge, that Nebuchadnezzar (HAD NO NAVY)? What did Nebuchadnezzars army do, spend 13 years on the seashore skipping stones ? LOL

(1.) Early in the sixth century B.C. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, (LAID SIEGE TO THE WALLED CITY FOR THIRTEEN YEARS.)

(2.) Tyre stood firm, but it was probable (THAT AT THIS TIME) the residents of the mainland city abandoned it for the safety of the island.

Tyre

You said.

"He dismisses links such as Atlas Travel various encyclopedias, Lebanon Tourism, the Embassy of Lebanon ect... and then quotes the words of "a Jewish traveller" Priceless!!"

That Jewish traveller, was Benjamin of Tudela.

"His vivid descriptions of western Asia preceded those of Marco Polo by a hundred years. With his broad education and vast knowledge of languages, Benjamin of Tudela is a (MAJOR FIGURE IN THE HISTORY OF GEOGRAPHY) and Judaism."

It is your dismissal of this great historian, that is Priceless. And Benjamin of Tudela was in a better position to see the actual ruins of the city of Tyre, than Atlas Travel.

It is also common knowledge, that most of the ancient mainland city of Tyre was removed by Alexander the Great. So I don't know what ruins you are talking about. And it was Benjamin of Tudela who stated that the Old City had been reclaimed by the sea.

"Alexander the Great, who over the course of seven months dismantled the city and dumped it into the sea, building a huge causeway to the island."

The Daily Nightly - MSNBC.com

Last edited by Campbell34; 12-27-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I haven't been reading all, the more than 235 posts, in this thread, but from the looks of the read on these last few...seems Campbell and Finn have given you all a run for your money.
Well lets see..l. I have not read all the posts but here is my ass sessment, hmmm how predictable?
Quote:
It has been my experience that the ones passing out the tin foil hats, when the conversation gets to that point--it's because they have nothing left to add to the argument and they have lost the argument, but they can't yet admit to it.
Ya think? I read all of L Ray Smiths crap and he is a woo woo requiring 7 layers of tin foil - ex Uni here.
Quote:

The first place ribbon goes to Campbell and Finn. Great job people.
Yeah - excellent job in circular logic, you folk love circles don't cha?
Quote:
Say Campbell and Finn, perhaps you'd know of this.

My grandmother use to tell me that in the bible it said that, in the end times the price of a loaf of bread would equal to that of a man's day's wage.

This would have economical merit pointing to today's time... I can't locate it nor do I have her bible handy in front of me to read her notes in it's margins. Do you know of what scripture she may have referred to...

thanks in advance.
Me thinks that the USA have finally reaped what they have sowed in that you are ess owned by the chinese, you now are looking for the proverbial escape from reality, shame, can't wait till these yellow folk call in their markers and drop the mighty dollar as an int currency like is happening at present. Last time I looked you were rated 198th as far as current acc status - that was 2006 figures under your St. Shrub president

Watcha going ta do then seeing you have no natural resources to offer the rest of the world? When your currency is not worth the paper it is printed on? You lot bring the world to its knees financially with your irresponsible actions and expect to get off scott free? Ya just treading water before you all sink.

Welcome to the real world....

Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is in reference to one of the four horsemen in the Revelation. The world's economy will be in such state that one days wage will barely feed you. A quart of wheat, or three quarts of barley. Take your pick, wheat provides better nutrition, but you can afford less of it, while barley provides less nutrition, but you get more of it. These times are not here yet, but will come during the tribulation. The reference to not damaging the oil and wine means that the rich will still have their luxuries, while the others can only afford the wheat or barley to make a loaf of bread.

When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"
[RIGHT]— Revelation 6:5-6 [/RIGHT]
Thank you---

Not here yet though huh. I don't know...I'll go get that tin foil hat and put it on and think about it for a moment...

2001 - now---times have changed in that many can work a day and not earn enough for wheat. And we don't even want to discuss the oil and wine.

I'm just saying that there are those that would argue that we do live in the times of tribulation and have been in those times for, oh I don't know say the last 100 years. Seeing all go from bad to worse, does make a person wonder.

May be it's that honest days wage for an honest days work and honesty is out golfing.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
I just replied to your "argument". You called me a delusional liar.
Go read what I said again and this time, PAY ATTENTION.

Quote:
All of the below prophecies were fulfilled. Sorry.
Only if your delusion is so strong that you ignore recorded history.

Quote:
I haven't been reading all, the more than 235 posts, in this thread,..............
Then perhaps you should before making comments.

Quote:
but from the looks of the read on these last few...seems Campbell and Finn have given you all a run for your money.
Only if your delusion is so strong that you ignore recorded history.

Quote:
It has been my experience that the ones passing out the tin foil hats, when the conversation gets to that point--it's because they have nothing left to add to the argument and they have lost the argument, but they can't yet admit to it.
It's been my experience that some Bible literalistists will continue on their merry-go-round of circular logic until the only thing left for them is to disappear up their own backside.

Quote:
The first place ribbon goes to Campbell and Finn. Great job people.
Yeah! Great job of ignoring history guys.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
I haven't been reading all, the more than 235 posts, in this thread, but from the looks of the read on these last few...seems Campbell and Finn have given you all a run for your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Well lets see..l. I have not read all the posts but here is my ass sessment, hmmm how predictable?
I just came in and answered the OP's question. Must have had some merit to it to get you so stirred up.

Your personal problems are not mine, thank you very much.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that there are those that would argue that we do live in the times of tribulation and have been in those times for, oh I don't know say the last 100 years. Seeing all go from bad to worse, does make a person wonder.
It will be far worse than this. Besides, the tribulation will last only seven years and it will be a time of world war, disease and total economic collapse. Hundreds of millions of people will die, but believers will be raptured before it begins.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
I haven't been reading all, the more than 235 posts, in this thread,..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then perhaps you should before making comments.
Alrighty then. Now I remember just what it was about this forum I did not like.

Before I leave again, Isa 30:25 answers the OP's question.

Sad...so sad the low people will go.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post

Ya think? I read all of L Ray Smiths crap and he is a woo woo requiring 7 layers of tin foil - ex Uni here.

Yeah - excellent job in circular logic, you folk love circles don't cha?

Me thinks that the USA have finally reaped what they have sowed in that you are ess owned by the chinese, you now are looking for the proverbial escape from reality, shame, can't wait till these yellow folk call in their markers and drop the mighty dollar as an int currency like is happening at present. Last time I looked you were rated 198th as far as current acc status - that was 2006 figures under your St. Shrub president

Watcha going ta do then seeing you have no natural resources to offer the rest of the world? When your currency is not worth the paper it is printed on? You lot bring the world to its knees financially with your irresponsible actions and expect to get off scott free? Ya just treading water before you all sink.

Welcome to the real world....
The verse you are looking for will be found in the Book of Revelation, chapter 6 verses 5 and 6.

Also, America is in trouble big time, and the Bible tells us that America will finally be destroyed by other nations in one hours time. So yes, we are in big trouble. And we are living in a day when a nation like America could be destroyed in one hours time. Yet, that prophecy is still a ways off.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It will be far worse than this. Besides, the tribulation will last only seven years and it will be a time of world war, disease and total economic collapse. Hundreds of millions of people will die, but believers will be raptured before it begins.
Hi Finn,

I am leaving as I have another forum to go to that well there is a better class of people that visit.

You can continue to bang your head on the wall with these types, but not me. No...got better things to do with my time.

Thank you though so much Finn for answering my question. It is one that has been on my mind and I have done searches in the KJV on line and could not find it. Granny's Bible is in a storage building, not a good place for it to be.

I do understand that its relevance is to the tribulation yet to come. I'm thinking in the year 3035. I don't know why that year got stuck in my head and most likely means absolutely nothing to no body. but there it is.

Thank you so much, I'll be on my way now.

Blessings to you and yours.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
How did Nebuchadnezzar lay seige to the island city of Tyre, when it is common knowledge, that Nebuchadnezzar (HAD NO NAVY)? What did Nebuchadnezzars army do, ....
They did the same as Alexander did....made use of the natural 'mole' connecting the island to the mainland.

Quote:
(1.) Early in the sixth century B.C. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, (LAID SIEGE TO THE WALLED CITY FOR THIRTEEN YEARS.)
Correct...the island.

Quote:
(2.) Tyre stood firm, .....
Yet in an earlier post you claim that he "secured" it. So which is it....he secure it or did it stand firm?

Quote:
....but it was probable (THAT AT THIS TIME) the residents of the mainland city abandoned it for the safety of the island.
So if there was nobody there, who held out against Nebby for 13 years?

Quote:
You said.

"He dismisses links such as Atlas Travel various encyclopedias, Lebanon Tourism, the Embassy of Lebanon ect... and then quotes the words of "a Jewish traveller" Priceless!!"

That Jewish traveller, was Benjamin of Tudela.

"His vivid descriptions of western Asia preceded those of Marco Polo by a hundred years. With his broad education and vast knowledge of languages, Benjamin of Tudela is a (MAJOR FIGURE IN THE HISTORY OF GEOGRAPHY) and Judaism."
Come, come now Campbell!!! What was it you were saying earlier ...that Wikipedia is not to be trusted...that it is all written by teenagers! Yet your quote above comes directly from Wiki.-

"His vivid descriptions of western Asia preceded those of Marco Polo by a hundred years. With his broad education and vast knowledge of languages, Benjamin of Tudela is a major figure in medieval geography and Judaism."
Benjamin of Tudela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seem Wiki is just fine when it suits you eh? You're something else man!!

Quote:
It is also common knowledge, that most of the ancient mainland city of Tyre was removed by Alexander the Great. So I don't know what ruins you are talking about.
The ruins of island Tyre destroyed by Alexander are beneath the present city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality