Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Those laws were for the Jews (OT). The NT is for Christians. The only one of those laws mentioned in the NT is regarding homosexual sex (Romans 1).
Christ (had he lived) being the good Rabbi specifically stated that the laws of the Torah were to be followed explicitely.

From Mathew 5...

17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Another example of the cherrypicking that has crept into Christianity.

And you wont find me complaining about it either. Any religion SHOULD keep up with the times. And it's high time for Christianity to leave the gays alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Those laws were for the Jews (OT). The NT is for Christians. The only one of those laws mentioned in the NT is regarding homosexual sex (Romans 1).
So the jews should kill adulterers, and women who don't yell loud enough while being raped?

And you don't believe you should follow the 10 commandments. Fair enough.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, Dang!!!!.........Ya left out Barry Mantilow!!!!!
...and of course Barry...what would the 70's have been like without "Oh Mandy..."

Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The gay is no laughing matter. God is apparently very concerned with what we do with our genitals. It reminds me a lot of my 6 year old. (Except my 6 year old doesn't think we should kill gay folks.) There are places God wants you to put your genitals, and there are places God would rather you not put your genitals. He has kindly dedicated a great deal of time and effort writing a book so that we would know the difference between the two.

Some of you may think that God would have had more pressing issues to deal with rather than directing the details of our genital contact. Nothing could be farther from the truth. God's emphasis on Genitalia is a sign that we should take this subject seriously.
And God said..."I've got a great tip for you guys...."

But then you have to cut it off.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
My point was that you went off-topic and started expounding on how you think religions are just out to be a killjoy.

I don't even care to argue that point. I just thought I'd call you out on your logically fallacious argument tactic.

However, having said that...yes, homosexuality is clearly condemned by the Bible. Is that a reason to mistreat or hate a person? Absolutely not. But we shouldn't gloss over it either.
Yes, some English translations since 1946 decided to make it very clear that they were anti-homosexual.
Before that, apparently it was very clear for several hundred years that the same verse in 1 Cor 6 (one of the the most cited verses used against homosexuals) used to be used to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals. I wonder how many people know that little tidbit?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There are a lot of Christians addicted to suffering. They like guilt tripping and shaming. What is their problem? Masochistic Addiction Disorder?

Oh BTW Jesus was a peace maker. He made peace with everyone and taught about God. I don't remember once hearing about Jesus burning people at the stake and exiling them through a secret service police squad.
And why would there be a story of Jesus healing the Roman centurion's pais? Not only healed him, but praised him for his faith.

It's very possible that these two were in a homosexual relationship as "pais" was a Greek word often used in secular writings of the time to describe a younger male in a homosexual relationship. Most modern English translations use "beloved servant" or just "servant" of course.

Translations are influenced by the prejudices of the translators and those who commisioned them.
A great example of this (Romans 16:7) is where some unknown scribe in the 13th century decided to change a female apostle's name (Junia) into a male name (Junias). At a time where nuns were completely cloistered, no doubt he would have thought it must be a mistake because a woman could not possibly be an apostle- so with a flick of the quill...voila, Junia becomes Junias and all is well in his little mysogynistic world.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
So the jews should kill adulterers, and women who don't yell loud enough while being raped?
Yes, those were the laws for the Jews in the OT.

Quote:
And you don't believe you should follow the 10 commandments. Fair enough.
Jesus summed up the law in, Love God & love others. Yes, I do do that.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Maybe you should investigate how many people this church has actually fed.

There's probably a lot you don't know about what this church does. "Don't judge a book by it's cover."
Discrimination against one group of people is okay as long as you hand out some sandwiches?

Quote:
Those plasma TVs might allow someone to hear the life-changing gospel when, otherwise, they might have been shut out.
If your God needs plasma TVs to make himself known, he's not much of a God.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes, some English translations since 1946 decided to make it very clear that they were anti-homosexual.
Before that, apparently it was very clear for several hundred years that the same verse in 1 Cor 6 (one of the the most cited verses used against homosexuals) used to be used to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals. I wonder how many people know that little tidbit?
I knew that tidbit, do I get a prize? I love cookies (well cookies and beer actually but since it is early, I will settle with just cookies)

Old 11-10-2009, 06:24 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Discrimination against one group of people is okay as long as you hand out some sandwiches?
How about handing out ham sandwiches to Orthodox Jews... That wouldn't be discrimination would it?

Quote:
If your God needs plasma TVs to make himself known, he's not much of a God.
If it is a plasma TV clearly it isn't of God. They are so energy inefficient God would never use one for fear of destroying the environment. If it was of God it would be an ultra-low energy LED TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality