Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 74,305 times

Advertisements

Is having a relationship with Christ.

For those who are having trouble there is a simple explanation. You simply need to find a quite place everyday and pray. The World is blinding you because of the pleasures of it. One day you will kneel before God, just make sure you do some kneeling before you have to give an account of your life before him.

Nothing could be worse for you than not to have something good to chat to God about. If you only knew what wonderful things God has for you, nothing on this earth can measure up to these things, eternity versus a short time on this earth, wow! And all he asks from you is 10% of your first fruits, what a deal.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUin2012 View Post

For those who are having trouble there is a simple explanation. You simply need to find a quite place everyday and pray. The World is blinding you because of the pleasures of it. One day you will kneel before God, just make sure you do some kneeling before you have to give an account of your life before him.

Nothing could be worse for you than not to have something good to chat to God about. If you only knew what wonderful things God has for you, nothing on this earth can measure up to these things, eternity versus a short time on this earth, wow! And all he asks from you is 10% of your first fruits, what a deal.
What use does god have with my money? He can do anything already.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:

It's too difficult. Got too many rules to follow. Requires discipline. And places a constraint on worldly pleasure.

It's not for the weak. At some point, they renounce and give it all up. Others keep trying.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default "Now children; today's EASY lesson about God is..."

Yes, I agree... It would be easy to just give up on having my nagging questions answered, to give it all up to a God, any God. not to mention the 10% that goes directly to keeping the priesthood well-fed and watered and really well housed.

Trouble is, I used to be a praying Christian. It didn't provide any answers ever, except the ones the church wanted me to ask and have answered. Their answers required a certain resident stupidity on my part, and I was "advised", in no uncertain terms, to "stop it" with the tricky questions.

That was, let's see now... calculator in hand [a "scientific" RPN model, BTW...]... 45 years ago. Since then, I've expanded my education and knowledge well past what a rigorous adherance to the blindered Christian doctrine would have allowed (biology, evolution, geology, chemistry, remote sensing, engineering plus my own chosen avocational interests in most scientific disciplines and the natural sciences).

Therefore, for me, the route less taken, the harder one, the one requiring independant thought, has truly set me free. Free of the moral strictures, the enforced stupidity, the time taken to chant silly mantras and to willingly let others with an agenda do all my thinking for me.

Letting other do all your thinking for you is hardly the right way, the moral way, the responsible way, but certainly it's the easiest way. As the OP suggests. Of course, most people on this planet prefer that easy way, so.... have at it, folks!

But know this: you're missing out!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:

LOL, Jesus needs my money? Sorry, it's my opinion that religion is for those who can't think things through for themselves, and need to be told what is right and wrong by their church, their pastor, their religion, and their "holy" books.

What's hard is standing on your own two feet and realizing that you are 100% responsible for your own actions and have to depend on yourself for answers. But that's okay if you need your fantasies to get by.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
What use does god have with my money? He can do anything already.
Why? Because, he seems to be a lousy investor. If JC had invested $1 - one lousy dollar - on behalf of humanity 2000 yrs ago, assuming inflation-adjusted rate of return of 5%, it would have grown to $2.4 E42 (42 zeros). You can do this in 1 minute in a calculator or Excel. Assuming 8 billion (9 zeros) population, each of us would have 3 X E32 (32 zeros after 3) !!! That is 3 gazzillion (or whatever). We all would be rich - no starving kids, no reduced medical benefits, people going bankrupt, etc etc.

However, he did not invest and now his people pass the hat every Sun looking for coins.

Last edited by calmdude; 11-09-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:

Christ isn't a person, it's a consciousness. A relationship with God is about being a friend, a listener or just being there. You can have that with every single person on earth.

Jesus can do nothing for your salvation so why would one pray to Jesus when it's God that answers prayes?

You give your account everyday of your life. You'll not see God unless you become a Divine being with a Christ Consciousness.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
I'd rather donate to an actual cause that does some good.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I'd rather donate to an actual cause that does some good.
Exactly! One that doesn't take 90% of the donation for "administrative costs".

Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I donate... Electric, phone, cable, car, house, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality