Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,999,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
So it seems like a homosexual is never quite cured and must constantly pray away the gay.
You make some great points Zonababe, but I almost bust a gut with laughter after reading that line.

*My sides* LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,312,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
IMHO...

Just like peer reviewed scinces, some Christians can convince themselves that their fantasies are the reality and that those sciences are wrong. As illsutrated on this forum, some Christians explain away homosexuality as a "choice of free will" to get around their belief that their god created everything, and everyone, and therefor erred in creating gays.

No, I see three basic reasons why gays are so villified, and those who villify gays can be under the influence of any one of these catagories, or a combination of any two, or all three.

Their scripture says, especially now in modern versions, that homosexuality is a sin. Even if a Christians doesn't labor under the other two catagories I list, this one reason is a strong enough motivator on it's own to ignore simple peer reviewed findings on the matter. So a Christian who is under the influence of their scripture will, of course, not wish to appear any less Christian than their neighbors.

If you ever get a chance to watch an anti-gay rally, People Watch. Their faces and expressions range from twisted, ugly hate to people who fall under the above catagory, who an experienced People Watcher can see plain on their face the lack of "heart" they are putting into the effort, or even a "what am I doing here" type of expression in their eyes.

And of course, there is the good ol' homophobia, which more times than not stems from a certain sexual identity crisis. Gays simple threaten this type of person's heterosexuality. It makes them neverious as either they are in complete denial, and/or are unsure about themselves. Christians who do not fall into this catagory tend to be quite confident in their heterosexuality.

And finally, a large factor in this debate that is often overlooked, and especially gathers in non-Christians, is the "Ick Factor". Some people simply can't get over their facination with what people do behind closed doors, and what is going on between people's naughty bits. People who fall into this catagory simply cannot get around the sex part to understand that gays are looking for the same exact things we are in a relationship, and that intimacy is but one small part of the equation.

Strangly enough, people who fall into the above catagory have no trouble with other types of people who fall under an Ick heading, liek really old people, or really, really fat people.

Well, that's my two cents and a wooden nickle.
That was interesting I never thought of it that way before

Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,730,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Anyone who cares to write a book on the process is welcome to the following title: From Pole to Hole- How I Ungayed Myself
Hah!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,210,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
IMHO...

Just like peer reviewed scinces, some Christians can convince themselves that their fantasies are the reality and that those sciences are wrong. As illsutrated on this forum, some Christians explain away homosexuality as a "choice of free will" to get around their belief that their god created everything, and everyone, and therefor erred in creating gays.

No, I see three basic reasons why gays are so villified, and those who villify gays can be under the influence of any one of these catagories, or a combination of any two, or all three.

Their scripture says, especially now in modern versions, that homosexuality is a sin. Even if a Christians doesn't labor under the other two catagories I list, this one reason is a strong enough motivator on it's own to ignore simple peer reviewed findings on the matter. So a Christian who is under the influence of their scripture will, of course, not wish to appear any less Christian than their neighbors.

If you ever get a chance to watch an anti-gay rally, People Watch. Their faces and expressions range from twisted, ugly hate to people who fall under the above catagory, who an experienced People Watcher can see plain on their face the lack of "heart" they are putting into the effort, or even a "what am I doing here" type of expression in their eyes.

And of course, there is the good ol' homophobia, which more times than not stems from a certain sexual identity crisis. Gays simple threaten this type of person's heterosexuality. It makes them neverious as either they are in complete denial, and/or are unsure about themselves. Christians who do not fall into this catagory tend to be quite confident in their heterosexuality.

And finally, a large factor in this debate that is often overlooked, and especially gathers in non-Christians, is the "Ick Factor". Some people simply can't get over their facination with what people do behind closed doors, and what is going on between people's naughty bits. People who fall into this catagory simply cannot get around the sex part to understand that gays are looking for the same exact things we are in a relationship, and that intimacy is but one small part of the equation.

Strangly enough, people who fall into the above catagory have no trouble with other types of people who fall under an Ick heading, liek really old people, or really, really fat people.

Well, that's my two cents and a wooden nickle.
Couldn't have said it better myself. What I don't understand about the "ick factor" is that if I thought about it, I'm seriously grossed out by about 99.9% of the population's sexual habits. Why do people think about gay people (especially men) having sex? I certainly don't think about my parents doing it! I'd never be able to look them in the face again.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM

19 posts, read 26,637 times
Default Gay or Not

Do you think you could choose to be emotionally, romantically and sexually attracted to someone of the same sex? If not, then why do you think other people could choose to do so? Behavior is certainly a choice, sexual orientation is not.

Sexual orientation you say is not by choice!

A union between man and woman (marriage) could not happen unless there was a lust (love) one for the other, yes lust! It is a natural phenomenon inputted into creation, because of it the world has been replenished several times. That is a natural LAW called the Law of Marriage, instituted with Adam and Eve. There were no laws, natural or other wise that condones same sex love or lust! If I remember correctly, men have been put in prison for committing sodomy, and why would the bible condemn such an act if it was in fact considered holy or acceptable.

Most people do behave according to their own sexual needs! A pedophile for example has sexual urges toward younger children, and adulteress person, a flasher and so on….Sexual behavior or sexual orientation, you choose. The scripture makes the statement “whatsoever is in a mans heart, that will he doâ€

Romans 7:23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25. I thank Yahweh through Yahshua. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of Yahweh; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 6:6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.

They say that cancer cells are in the bodies of every human walking on earth, if so, that’s not by choice but a biological hand me down that I might say we as individuals have no control, this type of scenarios we are without choice. We can do things that enhance their activity and by the same token there measures taken to reduce or cause remission.

These cells are a physical particles that can be seen by telescopic lens, its real, it has material qualities which can turn into tumors and spread.

Sexual behavior and orientation on the other hand is brought about by a thought or enticement through the lust of the flesh. If you didn’t lust after it, it wouldn’t interest you, kinda makes cents, donit?

James 1:14. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

[SIZE=3]1 John 3:4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well as I said before, we all have the flesh to content with and all are subject to the humanistic enticements that are spoken of all through the scriptures, no one is immune. [/SIZE]

Hebrews 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Yahweh, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

It’s the heart and conscience that dictates the outcome of our lives, yes you choose to be as you are. Many young children are subject to harsh and unholy acts that form an impression in their minds that can’t simply be erased or forgotten. Some are strong enough to work it out, maybe with consultation and years of medication they come to terms with it, and through this they build the kind of life that inspires hope in others. It’s sometimes not a good bed time story but life is as it is, until the powers of darkness are taken out of the world that’s the way it remains.

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another 16. In the day when Yahweh shall judge the secrets of men by Yahshua according to my gospel.

1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If your knowledge came from the teaching of man through books and education, that is considered the wisdom of the world which is foolishness compared to the wisdom of Yahweh. He takes the base things to confound the wise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Galatians 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: Yahweh accepteth no man's person for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mark 12:24 And Yahshua answering said unto them, do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of Yahweh?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you have an inclination about the work of the spirit for the edifying of the body of Yahshua, to bring that body to the perfection of Yahshua himself? The scripture said that “you will be endued with power from on high after that the Holy Spirit has come upon youâ€, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Matthew 11:11 Verily I say unto you, among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]John 3:5 Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of Yahweh.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You cannot know the things of the Spirit if you haven’t been born of the Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That which is Spiritually written is Spiritually discerned. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
See Ezekial 16:49 for the sins of Sodom. Do you believe all the males of Sodom were actually homosexuals?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Genesis 13:13 But the menof Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Yahweh exceedingly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Genesis 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 5. And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 6. And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 7. And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Biblical language and terms are misunderstood today; that we may know them defines as having sex, Adam knew his wife and they had a child or he went in unto her, consecrating marriage, all the same, but in Lots case it was “do not so wickedlyâ€. So yes all the men wanted to KNOW the strangers (aka angles) dear sir.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And, yes the belial, aka baal, baal-berith, baal gad or god, on and on and on with Markuk defeating Tiamat the sea monster. Like I have said, baal worship is a deceptive household name.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Babylon will fall at the appointed time, but until then we must understand that Baal worship is still at large. The harlot with all her daughters will one day be destroyed along with those that pamper the unholy men, women and children that are being taught that some sin is OK because of sexual orientation![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elder100jlb View Post
Do you think you could choose to be emotionally, romantically and sexually attracted to someone of the same sex? If not, then why do you think other people could choose to do so? Behavior is certainly a choice, sexual orientation is not.

Sexual orientation you say is not by choice!

A union between man and woman (marriage) could not happen unless there was a lust (love) one for the other, yes lust! It is a natural phenomenon inputted into creation, because of it the world has been replenished several times. That is a natural LAW called the Law of Marriage, instituted with Adam and Eve. There were no laws, natural or other wise that condones same sex love or lust! If I remember correctly, men have been put in prison for committing sodomy, and why would the bible condemn such an act if it was in fact considered holy or acceptable.

Most people do behave according to their own sexual needs! A pedophile for example has sexual urges toward younger children, and adulteress person, a flasher and so on….Sexual behavior or sexual orientation, you choose. The scripture makes the statement “whatsoever is in a mans heart, that will he doâ€

Romans 7:23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25. I thank Yahweh through Yahshua. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of Yahweh; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 6:6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.

They say that cancer cells are in the bodies of every human walking on earth, if so, that’s not by choice but a biological hand me down that I might say we as individuals have no control, this type of scenarios we are without choice. We can do things that enhance their activity and by the same token there measures taken to reduce or cause remission.

These cells are a physical particles that can be seen by telescopic lens, its real, it has material qualities which can turn into tumors and spread.

Sexual behavior and orientation on the other hand is brought about by a thought or enticement through the lust of the flesh. If you didn’t lust after it, it wouldn’t interest you, kinda makes cents, donit?

James 1:14. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

[SIZE=3]1 John 3:4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well as I said before, we all have the flesh to content with and all are subject to the humanistic enticements that are spoken of all through the scriptures, no one is immune. [/SIZE]

Hebrews 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Yahweh, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

It’s the heart and conscience that dictates the outcome of our lives, yes you choose to be as you are. Many young children are subject to harsh and unholy acts that form an impression in their minds that can’t simply be erased or forgotten. Some are strong enough to work it out, maybe with consultation and years of medication they come to terms with it, and through this they build the kind of life that inspires hope in others. It’s sometimes not a good bed time story but life is as it is, until the powers of darkness are taken out of the world that’s the way it remains.

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another 16. In the day when Yahweh shall judge the secrets of men by Yahshua according to my gospel.

1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If your knowledge came from the teaching of man through books and education, that is considered the wisdom of the world which is foolishness compared to the wisdom of Yahweh. He takes the base things to confound the wise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Galatians 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: Yahweh accepteth no man's person for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mark 12:24 And Yahshua answering said unto them, do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of Yahweh?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you have an inclination about the work of the spirit for the edifying of the body of Yahshua, to bring that body to the perfection of Yahshua himself? The scripture said that “you will be endued with power from on high after that the Holy Spirit has come upon youâ€, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Matthew 11:11 Verily I say unto you, among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]John 3:5 Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of Yahweh.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You cannot know the things of the Spirit if you haven’t been born of the Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That which is Spiritually written is Spiritually discerned. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
See Ezekial 16:49 for the sins of Sodom. Do you believe all the males of Sodom were actually homosexuals?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Genesis 13:13 But the menof Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Yahweh exceedingly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Genesis 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 5. And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 6. And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] 7. And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Biblical language and terms are misunderstood today; that we may know them defines as having sex, Adam knew his wife and they had a child or he went in unto her, consecrating marriage, all the same, but in Lots case it was “do not so wickedlyâ€. So yes all the men wanted to KNOW the strangers (aka angles) dear sir.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And, yes the belial, aka baal, baal-berith, baal gad or god, on and on and on with Markuk defeating Tiamat the sea monster. Like I have said, baal worship is a deceptive household name.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Babylon will fall at the appointed time, but until then we must understand that Baal worship is still at large. The harlot with all her daughters will one day be destroyed along with those that pamper the unholy men, women and children that are being taught that some sin is OK because of sexual orientation![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
The above bible spam is a perfect example of why our Founders strove to keep the institutions of religion and government seperated.

BTW "elder" (chuckle-snort), might want to go and find the nearest athiest couple married by a judge and inform them they aren't really married.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,785,426 times
Quote:
1 Corinthians 13:5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Funny, I never gave it quite that interpretation. Elder, I sure hope you're not divorced and/or remarried.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 26,637 times
Default Law of marriage

To AzixMundi

The above bible spam is a perfect example of why our Founders strove to keep the institutions of religion and government separated.

BTW "elder" (chuckle-snort), might want to go and find the nearest atheist couple married by a judge and inform them they aren't really married

To stepka

Funny, I never gave it quite that interpretation. Elder, I sure hope you're not divorced and/or remarried

Thank you for the response, with all the [size] information and font change I was worried that people would be talking about the insignificance of the matter and overlook the word! We must realize the strength of the word and how it should affect the life of believers. Did you know that the Ten Commandments and Moses law only governed Israel? It was brought in “for transgressions” and served as a “schoolmaster” until the mystery of the word of life was reveled. It’s called the word of faith. Everyone other than Israel was considered DOGS AND HEATHERNS, and was not given consideration, with few exceptions. But, the law of marriage was before Moses and before Israel, it started (as I stated, with Adam and Eve), Geneses 2:24. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Why was this law given at that time? Because Adam and Eve had to be married to become ONE FLESH or a union and did you know there was no Official to marry them. Back then the marriage consummation was “he knew her”; or “he came unto her”. So this is the jest of it, not going into great detail, it was for all creation!

Marriage was a commitment for Creation, and it is also spoken of all through the Bible. And the New Testament explains adultery, fornication and about the flower of her virginity, which I won’t go into. Moses did give a Bill of Divorcement (Yahshua said, “because of the hardness of their heart, but it was not so in the beginning”. Does this ring a bell “what Yahweh hath joined together, LET no man put asunder?”

Mark 6:17. For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her.
18. For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife.

AzixMundi Herod may have been an atheist for all I know!
Do you think Herod was considering holiness or the laws of Yahweh, do you think he was Jewish? Then why did John put his life in jeopardy by telling him that his marriage was out of order according to the law?

But, the New Covenant is for whosoever will do his will, starting in Acts. There was a change in the Priesthood and a change in the law. Some old laws were brought over to the new, and they were pointed out as such (“as also saith the law”) concerning certain subjects, of course acts like murder, lying, covetousness etc surly that is common knowledge. Gentiles living during the Old Covenant were governed by the law of conscious; having a clear conscious gives them the right to eternal life at the White Throne Judgment, still they will not be in the body of Yahshua.

Yes I am happily married and consider it a gift of Yahweh, and I do consider her to be the better half.

People I know that I am not the only person that can read and interpret the Holy Scriptures, my, oh my, oh my! He said, John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

A man that is called of Yahweh will completely understand tongues( both the gift and the confirmation (“the baptism of the water and blood with the spirit bearing witness”), the administrations of the spirit, the operations of the members of the body and the administration of the gifts of the spirit that is given to every man to profit withal.

Without these manifestations of the spirit in operation, you don’t have a functional body for the edification.

Now that uncertain question posed by the apostles, “will there be few saved”, can you answer that without doubt and fear of that great and notable day?

Last edited by elder100jlb; 11-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: changed font

Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,785,426 times
OK, Elder, I'm very glad for you that you're happily married. You are one lucky fella. And this is your first marriage and you've never been divorced, and neither has she?

Here is an article I saved from awhile ago, and I don't know who wrote it--got it off the net somewhere, but it's perfect for this. I saved this before I knew anything about my husband's orientation, and while I'm still mad at him, I hate hypocrisy. And it goes to show that no one is a fundamentalist--we all really do pick and choose our scriptures.

Quote:
Why Can't I Own a Canadian?
October 2002
Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your devoted fan,
Jim

Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,638,226 times
Here is the key to the Bible, never use a Lev. Law, unless it works to your advantage. You can still detest gays, because it says so it the book. Some of the other Lev. Laws don't seem to be convenient in the modern world, so Christians ignore them. Following Lev. Law is like ordering only the food you know you'll enjoy from a Chinese menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality