Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
there is no SCIENTIFIC theory of evolution. We cannot test the past. The past happened once and is non repeatable. Science is based on testing that can be repeated in the present.

So, evolution is not science. It is an idea that is supported by science. Even though poorly supported.

Please give it a rest. You are simply incorrect. Evolution driven by mutations is happening constantly. The evidence is plentiful that true species have evolved due to an accumulation of mutations that proved beneficial to successive generations that descended from one or more given individuals. It is your choice not to recognize the evidence for what it is, not to mention the also very plentiful evidence from comparative anatomy.

Plus, you are not qualified to make such an assertion in an authoritative manner. In a court of law, you would be shooed away under examination to serve as an expert witness as not having any credentials in science.

Plus, your post is wildly OFF-TOPIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM

265 posts, read 615,312 times
home schooling for religious reasons?

reason's like the one below?

A student visited his old school, 20 years after his graduation, and met an old Science professor of his. The professor happened to be grading exam papers, and the student was surprise to notice that the questions were exactly the same as they were two decades ago. He asked the professor about the possibility of the leakage of the exam paper such that the students would have known the questions in advance.

The professor smiled wryly and answered, "Don't worry about that, my dear boy. I've changed the answers every year."

Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post

A student visited his old school, 20 years after his graduation, and met an old Science professor of his. The professor happened to be grading exam papers, and the student was surprise to notice that the questions were exactly the same as they were two decades ago. He asked the professor about the possibility of the leakage of the exam paper such that the students would have known the questions in advance.

The professor smiled wryly and answered, "Don't worry about that, my dear boy. I've changed the answers every year."
That must have happened in one of the evangelical protestant private schools.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post

I guess I missed the punch line.

This kind of reminds me of the back and forth in the Church regarding whether it is legitimate for a Christian to accumulate any significant wealth because that would not reflect the example of Jesus's own life. The teaching seems to change every generation or so. Or maybe how to interpret the Book of the Revelation. Changes all the time. (Thomas Jefferson thought the Book of the Revelation was written by a nutcase and is impossible to 'interpret'. You can look it up!)

Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Homeschooling represents a retreat from society on religious grounds, rather than actively engaging in the local political process to achieve meaningful progress in the local school systems by working with one's fellow citizens.
As one who has home schooled 2 children, I can say that at no time during the home schooling process did religion or religious issues enter into any of the daily lesson plans.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM

131 posts, read 312,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is a joke right? majourly? main steam education?
my bad with the spelling

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As one who has home schooled 2 children, I can say that at no time during the home schooling process did religion or religious issues enter into any of the daily lesson plans.

And I'm sure you provided an excellent chemistry set for teaching purposes, like those found in the chem labs in the better public high schools.

I wonder how many homeschoolers can do the same? But maybe knowledge of high school chemistry is not important to most American homeschoolers.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

What you do in your personal life has very little to do with most Americans, I can count on that. You are a political purist.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Homeschooling represents a retreat from society on religious grounds, rather than actively engaging in the local political process to achieve meaningful progress in the local school systems by working with one's fellow citizens. The practice is encouraged by evangelical pastors, especially in the southeastern USA, so they too are encouraging the fragmentation of society at the local level. It is a protest against the domination by the federal government of school administration. However, this 'dominance' represents a consolidation down the local level of 20th century knowledge, including a curriculum that teaches the science behind evolution, which has consistently been resisted by the retrograde culture (that is, anti-intellectual, centered on southern-style protestant Christianity) found in the South.
Yeah, that all sounds good and all, but it's totally a caricature and generalization.

Me thinks you should google the following: atheist homeschool

Then try again with the above post.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yeah, that all sounds good and all, but it's totally a caricature and generalization.

You must think that my opinion has no basis in reality. You must not live in the South.

Do you disagree that Southern culture is anti-intellectual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality