Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what some of you might think about homeschooling. It's my understanding that a great many of homeschooled children are being taught by their parents for religious reasons. After losing court battles for various things like creationism in science classes and the restrictions placed on schools due to the separation of church and state many parents are just taking their kids out of school altogether.
I totally oppose homeschooling for a number of reasons. The most important reason is that the great majority of parents are simply not qualified teachers and have no credentials to do the job. My sister (who is very religious by the way) has a Masters degree and has taught in Australia, the US and is now teaching in Guadalajara, Mexico so she really does have impressive credentials and she's very dedicated. She feels that homeschooling might be ok for a couple of years of grade school if the family happens to be remotely located from the nearest school which happened to be the case with a few kids when she taught in Montana. Students need someone who is capable of doing the job. Would a parent perform dental work or surgery on their own children? Of course not, they go to a professional. Well, teachers are professionals too and they do a difficult job.
There's another aspect of homeschooling that is troubling. These kids will miss out on the normal life of a child, having new friends at school, having a teacher who inspires them and being exposed to life in the real world instead of the protective cocoon they'll experience at home.
What do some of you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
MG, Lucky you, you live in the U.S.A and if you are totally opposed to home schooling you can send your children to school, public or private. You can't be against parents having the right to make the decision for their own children can you?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I understand your objections to it Montanaguy. Actually, I share some of those concerns myself. Like with most things, there are trade-offs. I did NOT homeschool my own son. He was a delightful child and usually obedient but he was very strong-willed and I felt like we would just "butt" heads too much if you know what I mean Looking back, though, I regret that I didn't homeschool at least the first few years of his schooling. No, I don't delude myself enough to think I could have taught some of the upper level math courses etc. but I think I could have handled the first few years. I think it would have been better for him emotionally and spiritually overall. Again, I know there are trade-offs, but I think, in the balance, we could have handled them and come out better in the long run.

I think many parents do an excellent job of homeschooling, but it definitely should not be undertaken lightly. A parent should be realistic about their limits academically to be sure. As a side note, it is also my opinion that it would probably unrealistic to assume that all teachers encountered in public school are as dedicated and qualified as your sister. Many are to be sure, but like everything, good ones and those less so IMHO. As far as children living in a protective cocoon, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that to a certain extent. Besides, even children who are homeschooled do live in the "real" world for the most part. My son certainly played with and was exposed to many children in the neighborhood who did not share our Christian values and convictions.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
As a former school teacher, and current home schooling parent, I can tell you 99% of parents out there who have the desire to educate their children, are fully capable even more so than many school teachers. The desire is key.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 11:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm curious what some of you might think about homeschooling. It's my understanding that a great many of homeschooled children are being taught by their parents for religious reasons. After losing court battles for various things like creationism in science classes and the restrictions placed on schools due to the separation of church and state many parents are just taking their kids out of school altogether.
I totally oppose homeschooling for a number of reasons. The most important reason is that the great majority of parents are simply not qualified teachers and have no credentials to do the job. My sister (who is very religious by the way) has a Masters degree and has taught in Australia, the US and is now teaching in Guadalajara, Mexico so she really does have impressive credentials and she's very dedicated. She feels that homeschooling might be ok for a couple of years of grade school if the family happens to be remotely located from the nearest school which happened to be the case with a few kids when she taught in Montana. Students need someone who is capable of doing the job. Would a parent perform dental work or surgery on their own children? Of course not, they go to a professional. Well, teachers are professionals too and they do a difficult job.
There's another aspect of homeschooling that is troubling. These kids will miss out on the normal life of a child, having new friends at school, having a teacher who inspires them and being exposed to life in the real world instead of the protective cocoon they'll experience at home.
Homeschooling had good and bad points. I know parents that do it very well. Currently my daughter's best friend is homeschooled, and not kept locked away from the world and is getting what seems to be a very good education.
Heck, the two girls spend the day at the mall yesterday shopping for 6 hours. (I don't know where they get that sort of energy!)
Homeschooling is simply what works best for her and her parents. (They don't homeschool for religious reasons though, more learning and life style reasons.)

However, yes, it can be a bad thing at times. Parents can abuse it. I know one family that refuses to teach their female children anything other then basic reading and math. They don't believe girls need it. Others, well.....they hamstring their kids by not teaching them science....but that is their right.

The only time I feel homeschooling is a truely bad thing, is that often times abusive parents use it to keep their kids away from mandatory reporters of abuse. Easier to hide the bruises and scares if they don't go to school.

I think with some basic rules in place, it's a great option for some families, just are public and private schools are for others.

There is a lot of negative rhetoric on both sides.....homeschoolers often bad mouth public schools and the students that go to them, and others can't imagine how homeschooling could be a good thing and figure homeschooled kids are socially isolated losers. No side is innocent.

However, what remains is that as long as a child is getting the best education possible in an enivorment that is best for them, then homeschooling is just as valid a choice as others.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,800 times
I think homeschooling is perfectly fine if the parent is capable, and the kids are socialized in other ways. However, I really strongly disagree that 99% of the parents who homeschool are qualified, and I disagree that desire is the key. I desire to be agreat singer, but I'm not. Never will be. The key in my mind is to know your limits. Some do and some don't.

As I said in another thread, my own brother homeschools. So do all the kids they hang out with. I think they are very well socialized, but they do a TERRIBLE job of educating the kids. Every kid I know in that homeschooling group, including my brother's kids, are poorly educated, but the parents have great DESIRE to teach them well, they just don't know their limits.

That said again, I think it's a perfectly acceptable choice for someone who does it well. But I'd venture to guess the % of kids who are homeschooled well is below 50% (just as many kids in public school are not schooled well).

Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
MG, a "protective cocoon" is not always a bad thing in todays world.
Many parents who home school have a circle of other home schoolers who they share info with, go on field trips together, play, and otherwise have a normal life.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Many are to be sure, but like everything, good ones and those less so IMHO. As far as children living in a protective cocoon, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that to a certain extent. Besides, even children who are homeschooled do live in the "real" world for the most part. My son certainly played with and was exposed to many children in the neighborhood who did not share our Christian values and convictions.
Not all parents that homeschool are like you though. There is a family a few doors down that do not allow their kids to play with anyone other then children from their home church. Once it was determined that our family was completely not interested in that idea, all contact between their daughter and mine, both pre teens now and the same age, was cut off.

Their daughter is not allowed to play in the yard at all. If she is outside, I see her sitting in a chair, wearing a skirt and kercheif, knitting while she watches your younger brothers playing.

I think they have a pretty good homeschooling program (no science though), but this child is not prepared for the real world at all. They also allow their older boy run around like a punk. But he's a boy....so somehow that is okay. I so do not get that idea.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 05-13-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Maim, you have to have the desire to educate them, and be willing to do so. I did not say everyone. I still stick by that most who have the desire can. Just because you say you want to do something does not mean you have the actual desire to do it and do it well. It takes effort.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
I think homeschooling is a great idea if your up to what must be a big challenge...whether it be for religious reasons or not...the religious schools I went to were very expensive and I can imagine not everyone has that kind of money and would not want their child attending a public school...
Here in Florida there are those that do it to avoid the dreaded Fcat...there have been times that I wish I could do this but I don't feel equal to the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality