Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:29 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times

Advertisements

Hi Hoosier - Don't worry about it, I think you made the right decision. At first I was taken aback by the created posts like, "Why start this separation?" but then I was taken aback by you closing the posts! I think TheRealAngeLion said it best that it wasn't the content but the spirit in which it was created. Plus, I enjoy reading different POVs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 AM

246 posts, read 649,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I agree with your decision to close those three threads yesterday, not for their content (which seemed harmless) but because of the spirit in which they were created—all by the same person. There was a clear attempt to segregate and marginalize people of different viewpoints and life experience for the sole purpose of shutting down debate and the free flow and exchange of ideas, information, and opinions. This exchange and diversity of views is what makes the forum interesting and educational. And people should not be made to feel like they are less of a person or that their testimony is worthless or "not Christian enough."

To me it’s a reflection of weakness and fear when people who cannot withstand debate in the public square resort to name calling, insults, and censorship.
good point

At first, I didn't see the harm in it, but I didn't realize there were other catergorical topics by the same OP. I can see why the OP would want a "safe" place to post and not an open arena for debate. Sometimes, it's just nice to share, without someone questioning/scrutinizing. But, then, that takes away the point of a forum. And, the different views are what makes it all so interesting. WE really can learn a lot from one another.

Thanks Mr Mod for doing the dirty work, but not doing the dirty playing. I would have lost my patience a long time ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality