Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 AM

208 posts, read 507,057 times

Advertisements

Has anyone rested in the spirit? I was a non believer and thought it was fake when I would see the t.v evangelists praying over people and they would fall on the floor for several minutes as they "rested in the spirit". I didn't believe it until it happened to me almost a year ago after I was prayed over, and I have experienced it about 6 more times since then. Awesome experience.

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,365,760 times
Resting in the Spirit to me means in mist of all lifes troubles and worries I know I can lean on God. When the world seems to be spinning out of control I am resting in His love and assurance that He is control and I don't have to worry.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,664,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Resting in the Spirit to me means in mist of all lifes troubles and worries I know I can lean on God. When the world seems to be spinning out of control I am resting in His love and assurance that He is control and I don't have to worry.
This is what resting in the Spirit means to me as well. Well put.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,881,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think the OP is talking about being 'slain' in the Spirit.

I try and 'rest' in the Spirit everyday, just as you describe here, ILNC.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,365,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think the OP is talking about being 'slain' in the Spirit.

I try and 'rest' in the Spirit everyday, just as you describe here, ILNC.
Hey Alpha, I have no idea what being 'slain' in the Spirit means, but I sure do know what it means to rest in the Spirit and I'm not falling on the floor to prove it

Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,740,805 times
I can only speak from what I have seen, but this is very common in Pentecost churches, for example, people come to the front to be prayed for, pastor, or preacher prays over them, and they "fall out" or fall to the ground in the spririt.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,260,567 times
Default "slain" in the Spirit.

Yes, I think as Alpha said, the OP meant what is sometimes referred to as "being slain in the Spirit" I have experienced it numerous times over the years. I would just describe it as the Spirit of God being some strong on your physical body at that moment that you are "overcome." It is NOT an emotional experience IMHO, really more of a physical one. (Not some kind of self-induced hysteria if you know what I mean. One example that is sometimes cited in the Bible is when on Damascus Road Saul (later the apostle Paul) was confronted by the Lord. I know it sounds odd but it is really a very peaceful experience.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Not some kind of self-induced hysteria if you know what I mean. One example that is sometimes cited in the Bible is when on Damascus Road Saul (later the apostle Paul) was confronted by the Lord. I know it sounds odd but it is really a very peaceful experience.
I'm not going to debate this issue, so don't take it that way, please kaykay. But I doubt it was a peaceful experience to Paul.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,260,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm not going to debate this issue, so don't take it that way, please kaykay. But I doubt it was a peaceful experience to Paul.
No, Alpha, I don't think it was either! Actually, after I typed that in, I considered clarifying that I really think that was a different type of encounter with God that Paul had. How can I say this? I think the only common denominator there was the fact that the Spirit of God was so heavy it produced the physical manifestation of not being able to stand in the Lord's Presence. Am I making sense?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
No, Alpha, I don't think it was either! Actually, after I typed that in, I considered clarifying that I really think that was a different type of encounter with God that Paul had. How can I say this? I think the only common denominator there was the fact that the Spirit of God was so heavy it produced the physical manifestation of not being able to stand in the Lord's Presence. Am I making sense?
You are. This is a very difficult topic for me, as is tongues. I have some dear friends that this has happened to them several times. They say, like you, that it's natural, wonderful, etc and say that it's all through scripture. I'm cautious to give it the OK or the nod of disapproval and try and just not make any judgement.

My problem with it is:

1- In scripture, it rarely(probably never) happened when it was 'supposed' to. It was spontaneous and unexpected.

2- I can't find but maybe one instance that it was something to be desired. It was usually followed by 'don't be afraid' or the people were said to tremble and it just never really looked like anything one would seek after.

Anyway, like I said, I respect your experience and can not make a judgement on something I've never been exposed to. Maybe I need to attend one of these services and see for myself.

My friends did tell me something that gave me another point of concern though....they said that it was definitely something you could resist. That you could keep yourself from falling and you could squelch the Holy Spirit in this experience. Somehow, I don't think any biblical example of this phenomena could be said likewise.

Your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality