Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I believe a dual-career role marriage would make it tough on having children. There obviously would not be anyone around to watch after kids unless you hire an Au pair,it would not be a normal way to raise a family.
Part of what's wrong with kids, today.
Mom and dad think they have to have the flatscreen and the matching SUVs.
They raised a litter of kids that think they're entitled to the Xbox and cellphone.
Spend to work, work to spend.....
Nothing wrong with mom staying home with the kids and dad working.
You don't HAVE to have the newest and biggest of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
They raised a litter of kids that think they're entitled to the Xbox and cellphone.
Amen,people want more and more,how much is enough?.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Nothing wrong with dad staying home or pulling his weight after work either.

My mom dropped grad school and didn't work while raising my brother and I. When my father was hit by the dot com bust and went through a series of layoffs (including having been laid off now for almost a year), my mother had NO skills to support the family. She had subbed for a few years when I was in school but that doesn't pay the bills. Now she's working in a daycare because that's ALL she can do. However, the measly money she makes doing that doesn't really do much to support the family.

My dad didn't encourage my mom to work or build skills. He also didn't discourage her- my family is thankfully of a more sane religious persuasion. However, I grew to not respect my mother- not because she didn't work outside the home but because she COULDN'T. That's no role model for a young girl.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Nothing wrong with dad staying home or pulling his weight after work either.

My mom dropped grad school and didn't work while raising my brother and I. When my father was hit by the dot com bust and went through a series of layoffs (including having been laid off now for almost a year), my mother had NO skills to support the family. She had subbed for a few years when I was in school but that doesn't pay the bills. Now she's working in a daycare because that's ALL she can do. However, the measly money she makes doing that doesn't really do much to support the family.

My dad didn't encourage my mom to work or build skills. He also didn't discourage her- my family is thankfully of a more sane religious persuasion. However, I grew to not respect my mother- not because she didn't work outside the home but because she COULDN'T. That's no role model for a young girl.
When we put our trust in the Lord He provides. We put the Lord first in our life not jobs.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
When we put our trust in the Lord He provides. We put the Lord first in our life not jobs.
Try that one 3 out of 4 in a family have serious illnesses that need attending to. G-d doesn't provide when you haven't properly prepared yourself. Not developing career skills and staying out of the job market (not working or significantly volunteering because your children "can't" do without you for one second) is not learning to help yourself.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Quote:

Now you know that is not true. God never gave anyone a good paying job, or paid for college for a struggling student. God doesn't give a hungry family money for food. God never gave anyone anything. That is why it is important to encourage our girls to get an education so that they can support themselves if they have to. No permission needed.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:39 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Put your trust in the lord and he provides.

Unless he doesn't, in which case the Lord always answers prayers, but sometimes he just says "no", because he knows what's best for us. He may not give us what we want, be he'll never give us more than we can handle.

Unless he does, and he lets you or your children die. In that case the lord had a plan for you, and it was for the best that he called you or your child home. You/he are in a better place now.

There's a catch phrase for every situation. No matter what happens, it's God's loving hand is there. Unfortunately, its very hard to distinguish between that and there being no God in the first place.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Default Boxcar....what's with all the logic?

Oh you just said exactly what I thought for years while in church! Someone's child would die and they'd spit out the ole "God will never give you more than you handle bit..." And I'd be thinking "Oh how flipping nice of god! What a guy!" Sarcasticly of course. Christians have a million cliches don't they.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
My wife brings home six figures. I'd be not just a fool, but a d*mn fool to tell her to stay at home! She started grad school after we got married and I was able to get her an entry level job in my company. She's done well, and enjoys her work. I think she'd go nuts at home all day and no one would benefit as a result. She never asked for my permission and it's not mine to give or deny anyhow.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Now you know that is not true. God never gave anyone a good paying job, or paid for college for a struggling student. God doesn't give a hungry family money for food. God never gave anyone anything. That is why it is important to encourage our girls to get an education so that they can support themselves if they have to. No permission needed.
I know for a fact that is true,Christians don't put jobs first or education,they put the Lord first as He will provide,it is all directed toward the Lord and not of worldly aspirations.We as Christians put our trust in Him and he will provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality