Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,390,714 times

Advertisements

Is it Sinful for Women to Have a Career?

This is a link from a thread started by rifleman. I was slightly offended by the notion of having to get permission from your husband to work. Permission?! Do any Christians still think this way?! Input from Christians would be interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,547,817 times
I am a Christian "Fred Flintstone".
I made it very clear to my wife, before we married, that she would not be working.
It is my job to provide. If we can't afford it on my income, we don't need it.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,962,349 times
I think there are some women who like the idea that their man will take care of them. I can't say that it is based on Christianity though.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
I made it very clear to my wife, before we married, that she would not be working.

Well that's cool. As long as she was okay with being treated like a child....

Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,547,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Quite the contrary.
She is treated like a Woman.
She has plenty of work to do. I'm pretty "high-maintenance"!
You asked a question, that I apparently mistook as being in good intention, and I answered.
I didn't realize that I was walking into a trap set to ridicule how we have chosen to live our lives together.
I will keep this in mind in my future correspondences with you.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 PM

22 posts, read 28,848 times
We have friends whose religion teach that a woman's place is in the home rearing children.
it just seems like a very archaic and constricted way of thinking, especially in today's economy.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quite the contrary.
She is treated like a Woman.
She has plenty of work to do. I'm pretty "high-maintenance"!
You asked a question, that I apparently mistook as being in good intention, and I answered.
I didn't realize that I was walking into a trap set to ridicule how we have chosen to live our lives together.
I will keep this in mind in my future correspondences with you.

Oh sorry. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone. Just expressing my opinion on the subject. It comes from the recent thread on subjection to your husband. Subjection to your husband I was suprised by the posts being posted on there! And when I was reading the link I posted I thought it would spark some interesting responses. I think that a man who demands his wife stay at home is in a way treating her like a child. Now a man who says "Honey I really want to be the bread winner in the house and would love for you to take care of me and our home. I'll leave it up to you if you wish to work or not...." Now THAT is much more manly. And a lot of women will look at guy like a god for having that attitude!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,714,385 times
Quote:
If something happens to you, your wife will have a difficult time finding a job. Make sure you provide for her financially in the event of your untimely death!

Personally, doing only housekeeping and cooking would bore the heck out of me, a total waste of intellectual potential!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If something happens to you, your wife will have a difficult time finding a job. Make sure you provide for her financially in the event of your untimely death!

Personally, doing only housekeeping and cooking would bore the heck out of me, a total waste of intellectual potential!

I think that Christian women are expected to be the total opposite of intellectual!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,259,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
or like a princess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality